Home Forums Blog Talk Bad PR for your blog?

4 replies, 3 voices Last updated by Catherine Armato 9 years, 7 months ago
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Jessica/YDWWYW/PetTalkMedia
      Participant
      @adventurejess

Do you consider that you are the PR person for your own blog? I do and would totally say that I have some PR experience on a resume (in the context of my blog of course).

One thing that PR people are trained to do is handle negative sentiment about a brand. If something “goes off the rails” they need to be able to recognize the issue and start steering sentiment in a more positive direction to protect the brand’s reputation.

It’s amazing to me how electronic communications can be misconstrued. I often write an email or a social media post with one intention and find that the feedback that I get makes obvious that it was interpreted a different way than I intended. Usually it is just a “huh” moment for me – like I never thought of it that way. Sometimes people clearly interpret what I said in a negative way and lash out at me or my “brand”.

I had that happen to me today. I made a statement of fact about a certain faction believing a certain thing about what happened with the lawsuit over Obie the obese dachshund. Specifically, I made he statement that some people believed that the lawsuit over custody (filed by a rescue) was over money. I got a message from a long-time follower that they interpreted it as ME saying I believed that, that they couldn’t believe I would claim that, and that they were going to unfollow my page. I responded that I was stating fact (many people DO think that although I am not sure myself), apologized for giving her the wrong impression, and said that I would remove that statement from the post. I then posted at explanation/apology to my Facebook page.

You can check it out at the link below if you want. https://www.facebook.com/YouDidWhatWithYourWeiner

What have you done in situations like this? I hope I did ok. I am still kind of licking my wounds since it hurts me every time it happens.

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

I think you handled it well.

Participant
      @adventurejess

Thanks Amy.

Amy Shojai, CABC said:

I think you handled it well.

Participant
      @adventurejess

Thanks so much Kimberly. I appreciate that you think it was handled well.

I really tried to do the right thing and what a “brand” would do – immediately apologize (customer is always right) and try to correct the situation. I also immediately posted a cute pic of Gretel to my wall – redirecting with cute and playing down the previous post. I didn’t feel it necessary to remove it all together based on one comment because I would rather people see my post, see my acknowledgement and apology and see that I corrected the offending text. I also felt like it was something important to me to share because this is an issue that has meaning for me.

Kimberly Gauthier said:

I’m sorry that you had that experience; you handled it well and it goes to show that you’re more than just a blogger, you’re truly a professional and a brand.

These things are going to happen and the fact that you didn’t get defensive, didn’t lash out, and you immediately made corrections is brilliant and exactly what a huge corporate would do to protect their brand.

Truly brilliant and a great lesson for all of us.

Catherine Armato
      Participant
      @ca238

I commend you for responding professionally, not emotionally – even though it was an Ouch! moment.  It was nice of you to say you would remove the statement from your post, that’s more than most people would do I’m sure.  Adding the explanation to your post was a smart idea.  It’s so easy for one’s printed words to be misinterpreted by someone out there.  I’ve not had this issue – yet!  Personally, I think you did great!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.