Home Forums Blog Talk Blogging Suggestions

17 replies, 6 voices Last updated by Caren 10 years, 9 months ago
Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

Felissa
      @Twolittlecavaliers

Hello everyone! Hope you are all having a great week.

BlogPaws in the middle of a big push to get everyone into the Pet Bloggers Network that has signed up which means I am getting to visit a ton of Blogs looking for some very specific things. These are the very same things that PR people are looking for when they visit your Blog.

Things like:

1. How long have you been Blogging.

This is super easy to find IF you have an archive somewhere on your sidebar or footer. They usually come in drop down menus that can go by week or month and by scrolling down the person viewing your blog can easily find the answer.

2. How often you post,

This is also super easy to figure out if you publish a full date and time stamp on your blog posts.

3. What sort of content you post.

Yes many people do arrive at your Blog Post through a twitter or Facebook link or a Google search but if they land on your home page and can’t figure out where you hide your content or how to read through it they will move on.

4. A Search Box

Not a lot of people will use it but the ones that need to use it will move on to another blog if they can’t search through your content.

Why are these 3 things so important?

Every single day, multiple times a day PR firms are searching for Pet Bloggers to work with. The companies they work for want to know some very specific things and if you don’t provide that information to them in an easy to find format they will move on to another blog. PR people only have about 1 minute to spend on each Blog they visit so make it easy for them to find what they are looking for. 

Lexie Smith @Beagle Daily
      @lexieasmith1

I understand. Thank you for sharing this information.

Debby / Kirby the Dorkie
      @kirbythedorkie

Good to know. In the process of upgrading now but I don’t want an archive. Should I have the year in my about us info?

Felissa
      @Twolittlecavaliers

I didn’t want an archive either I thought it was wasted space that could be put to better use. But when someone who works for a big PR agency said something about how they wished more Bloggers would have one I realized just how important it is.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Felissa THANK YOU for these fabulous tips! I already had everything there but have just done some shifting around. What I DIDN’T have was the “search box” Just added it!! Thanks!

Felissa
      @Twolittlecavaliers

All of your Blogs will need their own ad codes as well as their own profile in our system. When you have the Blogs up and running for a few months be sure to fill out the form so we can get your blogs up and running.

Kimberly Gauthier said:

I have a question, Felissa

I just launched my 2nd pet blog and will be launching a 3rd in 4-6 months.  May I use the same ad code on those blogs or will they need to be approved separately from Keep the Tail Wagging?

All of my blogs will be pet blogs; specifically about dogs.

Thanks!

Felissa
      @Twolittlecavaliers

Glad you found the tips useful Caren.

Caren Osrin Gittleman said:

Felissa THANK YOU for these fabulous tips! I already had everything there but have just done some shifting around. What I DIDN’T have was the “search box” Just added it!! Thanks!

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

Well I signed up ages ago and never heard back so I gave up and created accounts with Commission Junction and  LinkShare and have been approved for about a dozen affiliate accounts (including Pets360). How will the BlogPaws Pet Bloggers Network be different? that is, if I’m every approved? *s*

best,

amy

http://amyshojai.com

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Kimberly you can tell Tom what companies you do not want to have displayed on your blog…it was on the sign-up sheet 🙂

Kimberly Gauthier said:

I see it as similar to Google Adsense, but there isn’t a way (yet) to track your earnings or block ads. I like it better, because I haven’t once received a complaint about the type of ads. My readers have been great about telling me when “do you have a record?” or other ‘so not flattering to my blog’ advertising shows up.

Amy Shojai, CABC said:

Well I signed up ages ago and never heard back so I gave up and created accounts with Commission Junction and  LinkShare and have been approved for about a dozen affiliate accounts (including Pets360). How will the BlogPaws Pet Bloggers Network be different? that is, if I’m every approved? *s*

best,

amy

http://amyshojai.com

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

Thanks Kimberly, that’s helpful.

With CJ and LinkShare, I have a variety of options and choose which ads to place myself, and can change them as I wish and place wherever on the blog (just one page or everywhere or on sidebar, a specific blog, etc). And there’s tracking for the individuals. Just got it set up so not a lot of history there yet, but I can choose specific products that I feel comfortable with, so I don’t have to worry about the “not so flattering” types of ads. If one eventually does better than another, I can make the choice to go with one company over another, too.

I’ve a Google Adsense account that I’ve never used…when I had the wordpress.com blog the “wordads” in a year earned less than $20 and weren’t particularly helpful so not eager to go with the google version, either.

Kia
      Participant
      @comewagalong

Thanks for sharing this info!  Looks like I have all this already.  Woo hoo!  As far as archives and taking up space go…I use the “Tabs Widget” on WordPress…so archives are only shown if the person clicks on the “archive” tab and then it displays the list.

Felissa
      @Twolittlecavaliers

As it states in the contract when you sign up for the BlogPaws Ad Network:

Ads can be blocked with a simple email to Tom{@}blogpaws.com either before or after you have your ads running. Just let him know if there is a specific brand you do not want to work with or a specific product that you would rather not promote. It is a really simple fix on our end and poof the ads are gone.

The ad network automatically blocks political, religious, and non family friendly ads.

Felissa
      @Twolittlecavaliers

The difference is that you are currently running affiliate ads. An affiliate ad only pays out when and if someone clicks on the ad and signs up for a newsletter or purchases a product.You then get a specific percentage of the sale. Sometimes this works really well and you can make a lot of money other times it is just taking up space on your sidebar.

The BlogPaws Ad Network is an impressions based system that pays per impression. So lets say you have 500 visitors this week you would get paid on all of those page views (unless they are coming from a country that does not support the ads ).

With Google you have to reach a $100 threshold in order to receive payment on the ads displaying on your blog. With BlogPaws a check is cut each month and sent directly to your house.

Amy Shojai, CABC said:

With CJ and LinkShare, I have a variety of options and choose which ads to place myself, and can change them as I wish and place wherever on the blog (just one page or everywhere or on sidebar, a specific blog, etc). And there’s tracking for the individuals. Just got it set up so not a lot of history there yet, but I can choose specific products that I feel comfortable with, so I don’t have to worry about the “not so flattering” types of ads. If one eventually does better than another, I can make the choice to go with one company over another, too.

I’ve a Google Adsense account that I’ve never used…when I had the wordpress.com blog the “wordads” in a year earned less than $20 and weren’t particularly helpful so not eager to go with the google version, either.

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. Nice program. Maybe my blog doesn’t have the proper “stuff’ to qualify so hope I do well with the affiliates. *s*

Felissa Elfenbein said:

The difference is that you are currently running affiliate ads. An affiliate ad only pays out when and if someone clicks on the ad and signs up for a newsletter or purchases a product.You then get a specific percentage of the sale. Sometimes this works really well and you can make a lot of money other times it is just taking up space on your sidebar.

The BlogPaws Ad Network is an impressions based system that pays per impression. So lets say you have 500 visitors this week you would get paid on all of those page views (unless they are coming from a country that does not support the ads ).

With Google you have to reach a $100 threshold in order to receive payment on the ads displaying on your blog. With BlogPaws a check is cut each month and sent directly to your house.

Amy Shojai, CABC said:

Felissa
      @Twolittlecavaliers

Yes contacting Tom would be the best option right now. I don’t think I have a pdf of the terms and conditions to share.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Hi Felissa!

Speaking of the Ad network…do you know when our checks are coming? Last month mine arrived right when I got home from BlogPaws……so far nothing….thanks!

Felissa Elfenbein said:

Yes contacting Tom would be the best option right now. I don’t think I have a pdf of the terms and conditions to share.

Felissa
      @Twolittlecavaliers

Hi Caren,

What a great question. I had to ask because I honestly did not know when they were sent and love the surprise of finding a check in the mail.

The answer to your question is BlogPaws / Pet360 strives to get your payment to you within 30 days. What that means is that the Thursday on or before the 20th of the month is when the checks are written. For this month that means they were written yesterday.

Hi Felissa!

Speaking of the Ad network…do you know when our checks are coming? Last month mine arrived right when I got home from BlogPaws……so far nothing….thanks!

Felissa Elfenbein said:

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

THANK YOU!!!!! I normally don’t ask but things are really tight at “Casa de Cat Chat and Dakota’s Den” right now…..I have to buy food to maintain my “girlish” figure you know! xoxoxo

Felissa Elfenbein said:

Hi Caren,

What a great question. I had to ask because I honestly did not know when they were sent and love the surprise of finding a check in the mail.

The answer to your question is BlogPaws / Pet360 strives to get your payment to you within 30 days. What that means is that the Thursday on or before the 20th of the month is when the checks are written. For this month that means they were written yesterday.

Hi Felissa!

Felissa Elfenbein said:

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.