Home Forums Blog Talk BLOGPAWS BLOG TOPIC SWAP: NEW FEATURE

33 replies, 15 voices Last updated by Jessica/YDWWYW/PetTalkMedia 8 years, 11 months ago
Viewing 33 reply threads
  • Author

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

One of the commonalities that unites us all as bloggers is the pursuit of ideas for blog posts. How many times have you dealt with writer’s block or perhaps you run out of ideas for things to blog about?

This discussion will be ongoing and is dedicated to YOU.

How this works is simple: Leave an idea here and feel free to grab one in exchange. Or grab two or three – or maybe leave two or three. Feel free to leave an entire list.

From time to time, I will compile them into a meaty blog post, too.

Much like a recipe exchange, this discussion will only work if folks are willing to stop in and drop an idea in the discussion thread. If you simply want to drop ideas off and not take any, that’s fine, too. You might find a story ripped from the headlines and want to share it here.

The beauty of an ongoing discussion like this is that while you may not use every idea, you can still put your blog’s spin and theme on ideas left behind. For example, if someone leaves the idea “safer alternatives to lawn care for pet parents” but let’s say you are a pet travel blogger. You might spin that into “dangers lurking outside pet friendly hotels.” Make sense?

Okay then I will get started. Feel free to drop by here often and I will pin this discussion for easy reference.

HERE ARE FOUR TOPIC STARTERS:

Your five hottest blog posts so far of 2015

Pet First Aid Awareness month: How to make your own first aid kit

Kitten season and how to help kittens out in your area

Small pets with big personalities

Asia
      Participant
      @asiasmyth

Great idea, Carol! Thanks for creating this! Personally, I tend to write a lot of posts about our funny and adorable daily adventures, from my dog Destiny’s perspective.

Anne McIlhany
      @blessallthepets

Love this, Carol! I would really love to see a blog post about getting a dog with a disability some good exercise. My dog JJ has a permanently injured front paw and so even short walks leave him limping. I’ve heard that getting him into a pool might be good, but alas, we do not have a pool. Anyway – I’d love to see this addressed – and if I figure it out myself, well I’ll post my findings. 🙂

Aimee
      Participant
      @aimeebeltran

What a great idea! Here’s a few idea to get your mind going:

• What to pack for BlogPaws
      • Pet Travel Tips
      • April Showers Bring May Flowers (could spin lots of different ways)
      • Spring Break with Pets

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

Anne can I ask what sort of disability and any restrictions he has?

Anne McIlhany said:

Love this, Carol! I would really love to see a blog post about getting a dog with a disability some good exercise. My dog JJ has a permanently injured front paw and so even short walks leave him limping. I’ve heard that getting him into a pool might be good, but alas, we do not have a pool. Anyway – I’d love to see this addressed – and if I figure it out myself, well I’ll post my findings. 🙂

Anne McIlhany
      @blessallthepets

Sure! His front left paw was completely “smashed” when he was rescued – they (the angels who saved him) don’t know what happened, but they suspect it got run over by something. We followed the vet’s advice and soaked it in a medical solution daily when we first adopted him (b/c the paw pads were, well – in bad shape), but the paw itself is permanently in the “splayed” position, if that makes sense?

We call it his “super paw” because it is almost twice as large as his other one. It doesn’t seem to bother him at all except after we try to walk him. He can make it short distances but not a whole way around our block, for example. 

Carol Bryant said:

Anne McIlhany said:

Anne McIlhany
      @blessallthepets

I’d love the packing/preparing for the conference ideas – Nashville will be my 1st BlogPaws conference and I’m sooo excited but have no idea what clothing to bring, or what all I should bring for JJ (my dog). 🙂

Aimee @ Irresistible Pets said:

• Pet Travel Tips
      • Spring Break with Pets

Asia
      Participant
      @asiasmyth

Anne, you should check out http://lessonsfromaparalyzeddog.com/ about all kinds of great tips for dogs with various disabilities 🙂

Anne McIlhany said:

Felissa
      @Twolittlecavaliers

Spring / Summer safety tips

What plants are safe to have in your yard

Why your pet needs a yearly vet visit

Rainy day activities

What to do with your dog when it is too hot to play outside.

Anne McIlhany
      @blessallthepets

Thanks so much Asia! I’ll go check it out now 🙂

Asia said:

Anne, you should check out http://lessonsfromaparalyzeddog.com/ about all kinds of great tips for dogs with various disabilities 🙂

Anne McIlhany said:

Asia
      Participant
      @asiasmyth

No problem 🙂

Anne McIlhany said:

Thanks so much Asia! I’ll go check it out now 🙂

Asia said:

Anne McIlhany said:

Ann
      Participant
      @annstaub

I like this idea! Here are a couple of thoughts – 

• Earth Friendly Pet Products (earth day)
      • What makes your Vet awesome? Make a list of reasons why you like your vet and why you chose them to help others pick a good vet. (World Veterinary Day is in April)
      • Grooming tips for pets that shed 

Beth
      Participant
      @beth1

One thing I’ve always wondered about is what to do if you hit a dog (with your car) while out of your home area.  And even if you are home, how do you get an injured dog safely into your vehicle to take to the vet?

Melissa K.
      Participant
      @thereturns7

I love all of these ideas!  Vacation and pet friendly travel is good this time of year.  Preparing for the BlogPaws conference and the must-haves.  DIY posts are always a favorite.

Christine Paul
      Participant
      @ohmyshihtzu

hehe… I’ll be doing a what to pack for a long trip since our 2 week vacation will end with blogpaws!!

• Pet Travel Tips
      • Spring Break with Pets

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

Fantastic topic and one I plan to explore and credit to you for this idea, Daily Dog Tag! TY

Daily Dog Tag said:

One thing I’ve always wondered about is what to do if you hit a dog (with your car) while out of your home area.  And even if you are home, how do you get an injured dog safely into your vehicle to take to the vet?

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

Awww well then it was meant to be that he found his way to you, @Anne.

Anne McIlhany said:

Sure! His front left paw was completely “smashed” when he was rescued – they (the angels who saved him) don’t know what happened, but they suspect it got run over by something. We followed the vet’s advice and soaked it in a medical solution daily when we first adopted him (b/c the paw pads were, well – in bad shape), but the paw itself is permanently in the “splayed” position, if that makes sense?

We call it his “super paw” because it is almost twice as large as his other one. It doesn’t seem to bother him at all except after we try to walk him. He can make it short distances but not a whole way around our block, for example. 

Carol Bryant said:

Anne McIlhany said:

Anne McIlhany
      @blessallthepets

Thank you Carol! That is exactly how we feel about him 🙂

Carol Bryant said:

Awww well then it was meant to be that he found his way to you, @Anne.

Anne McIlhany said:

Carol Bryant said:

Anne McIlhany said:

Anne McIlhany
      @blessallthepets

Fantastic idea – this is one of those ” really hope this never happens but I’d really like to be prepared if it does” kind of things!

Daily Dog Tag said:

Anne McIlhany
      @blessallthepets

Oh good – I look forward to that then 🙂

Christine Paul said:

hehe… I’ll be doing a what to pack for a long trip since our 2 week vacation will end with blogpaws!!

• Pet Travel Tips
      • Spring Break with Pets

Summer
      Participant
      @borderterriersruleOK

That is a good idea. Many people I am sure develop writer’s block at times; I sometimes do, too! Challenges and occurrences always seem to help me know what to write.

Yvonne
      Participant
      @yvonne1

How about “Five Questions to Ask Your Vet at Your Next Vet Visit” Too many of us just listen. And too often, our veterinarians assume we are content with the cursory information they share. Even if YOUR vet is a master at communication, you should be asking key questions and getting straight answers. 

Anne McIlhany
      @blessallthepets

Yes! This is so true – both for human and pet doc visits, so I love the veterinarian spin on this. 🙂

Yvonne DiVita said:

How about “Five Questions to Ask Your Vet at Your Next Vet Visit” Too many of us just listen. And too often, our veterinarians assume we are content with the cursory information they share. Even if YOUR vet is a master at communication, you should be asking key questions and getting straight answers. 

Anne McIlhany
      @blessallthepets

Question: if/when people take some of these topics and blog about them, is it OK for people to return here to this thread and post links here? Not as a formal “blog boost” thing – but just because I’m finding SO many of these topics incredibly interesting and I’d love to read them, and I’m sure that is true for many of us. 🙂

Thoughts? Is this permissible? 

Dash
      Participant
      @whskr

I came across a fun post online for those who are suffering brain freeze! https://econsultancy.com/blog/66187-17-fantastically-useful-tools-for-content-writers-and-bloggers/

Dash
      Participant
      @whskr

I always write down questions, and encourage friends who may be stressing about a cat/dog issue – your mind goes blank in front of the ‘superior’ knowledge of the vet as we are hard wired to respect their years of study and experience. I always say to people – there is no such thing as a dumb question only one you don’t know the answer too, and other people can help Ask Them!! I am currently testing our ‘how to’ posts with this http://read-able.com/ to see if it helps me sharpen up the presentation of our beginner tech posts. Putting yourself in the place of an absolute beginner is tough sometimes!

Yvonne DiVita said:

Melissa K.
      Participant
      @thereturns7

This is fantastic.  Thank you so much!

DashKitten.com said:

I came across a fun post online for those who are suffering brain freeze! https://econsultancy.com/blog/66187-17-fantastically-useful-tools-f…

Jeanne
      Participant
      @jmariepursell

I love these ideas!

• How about small dogs with LARGE dog personalities…or large dogs with small personalities!
      • Alternative medicine for pets:  ie. acupuncture.
      • Microchipping:  Pros and Cons

Summer
      Participant
      @borderterriersruleOK

I can see this being interesting!

Sierra Koester
      @sierrakoester

Great idea, Carol!

I don’t know if this has been mentioned yet, but I’d *love* to see more posts on special needs pets and what makes them special!  Carmine is a special needs kitty, and sometimes I feel somewhat alone in the pet world because special needs aren’t always talked about.  

I absolutely *love* the #WobblyWednesday idea Emily Hall from Kitty Cat Chronicles has come up with to promote awareness of special needs of all kinds.  

Of course posts on what makes your companion special – special needs or not – are wonderful, too!

Sierra Koester
      @sierrakoester

Also, National Hairball Awareness Day is coming up 🙂

Anne McIlhany
      @blessallthepets

I like this idea too! And #wobblywednesday. I actually have a special needs pets post on my editorial calendar for my blog – not sure when I put there, but this is also an interest of mine. 🙂

Sierra Koester said:

Great idea, Carol!

I don’t know if this has been mentioned yet, but I’d *love* to see more posts on special needs pets and what makes them special!  Carmine is a special needs kitty, and sometimes I feel somewhat alone in the pet world because special needs aren’t always talked about.  

I absolutely *love* the #WobblyWednesday idea Emily Hall from Kitty Cat Chronicles has come up with to promote awareness of special needs of all kinds.  

Of course posts on what makes your companion special – special needs or not – are wonderful, too!

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

I love these ideas, Sierra!

Sierra Koester said:

Great idea, Carol!

Jessica/YDWWYW/PetTalkMedia
      Participant
      @adventurejess

Topic Idea Involving one of BlogPaws Sponsors (leading up to the conference is a good time to do it).

Writing about rescue is not my niche so I am putting this idea out there: I just read that PetSafe donated $8,000 to Union County Humane Society to help with costs of veterinary services needed for 136 dogs rescued in March from hoarders in Union County, Tenn. 

You will have to do your own research to find out more about the animals rescued, PetSafe and the donation but it could be a good story.

Viewing 33 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.