Home Forums Blog Talk BlogPaws Blogger Campaigns Tip of the Week 3/28/14

24 replies, 15 voices Last updated by  Trina Cooper 4 years, 8 months ago
  • Author

Felissa
    @Twolittlecavaliers

I cannot believe it is Friday night already!

What does a brand look for in a Blogger when they are deciding on which Bloggers to chose for a campaign?

The biggest take away from this week’s tip should be for you to know that EVERY brand that comes to us to work with all of you is different. They have different ideas for their campaign, different goals they need to obtain, and different ideas of what makes a blogger the best blogger for their product.

Your voice matters

Some brands are looking for very technical spreading of information while others are looking for blogs with a unique voice. Brands want to create a team of Bloggers that are going to speak directly to the audience they are trying to target.

Your Goal: Create a voice that works for you and your readers and the brands will follow.

Experience matters

Once a brand identifies you as a potential fit they will search your blog for similar posts. That means if this is a campaign about giant orange widgets and you have never posted about widgets you might go back to the bottom of the list. On the other hand if you have posted about purple widgets and small widgets and widgets with flowers on them in the past the brand might put you at the top of their list. Brands want to see that this is a product that you already value in your life and is important to you.

Your Goal: If you want to work on campaigns that talk about a certain type of product, make an effort to talk about it on your blog. Don’t try to sell the product just talk about it and how you use it in your pet’s life.

Jenna Drady
    @markandjenna01

Wow those are fabulous tips!! Thank you for sharing!

Amy Shojai, CABC
    Participant
    @shojai

Very helpful, thanks.

Jessica/YDWWYW/PetTalkMedia
    Participant
    @adventurejess

Wha?? It’s Friday already? 🙂

Great tip: Your Goal: If you want to work on campaigns that talk about a certain type of product, make an effort to talk about it on your blog. Don’t try to sell the product just talk about it and how you use it in your pet’s life.

I would also add that, most of us would like to get paid to blog, these campaigns and products are about being a good fit for each other. If you apply and are not chosen for a particular campaign, don’t get discouraged. The brand may not have been a good fit for you and your audience anyway. 

Felissa – I am curious about Canadian bloggers. I know that many contests can’t be offered to bloggers outside the US but can these campaigns? I don’t know where some of these bloggers are from (I see some less familiar “faces” on some of these campaigns…which I like) but like the idea of these campaigns being international.

Felissa
    @Twolittlecavaliers

Great questions Jessica!

The brand itself decides what Bloggers they are targeting in terms of Geographical region. That is not something that we really have any control over. When we can use International Bloggers we do and will continue to do so.

The main reason why most of our Campaign Giveaways have been limited to US winners is that there are a lot of rules around the shipping products containing any kind of Meat as well as other rules about Supplements to International locations.

Jenna Drady
    @markandjenna01

Oh I know all to well about that!!! I am Canadian and can hardly ever enter giveaways!!! It sucks, but you can understand the reasons though.

Kristen Carr
    @kristen1

Thank you for the great information, Felissa!

Do you find that brands are looking for a group of bloggers with a similar voice for a particular campaign, or do they typically choose more of a “variety?”

Elizabeth
    Participant
    @evtk68

I’m trying hard to soak all of these tips into my 40-something-year-old dried-up brain, Felissa. 🙂

I’ve got a question about the “widgets.” Do brands shy away from blogs who’ve done sponsored posts for a direct competitor in the past? Or does that matter?

Also, as far as experience goes (just to clarify), are brands looking for blogs with a more frequent sponsored content flow (like, say, one per week) vs. blogs that are more sporadic. In other words, does the quantity of sponsored posts one has published help one’s chances? Or, do brands consider “experience” any mention of a product, whether it’s paid or not?

Thanks!

Felissa
    @Twolittlecavaliers

Great question Kristen.

The answer is each Brand or Sponsor is looking for something different. Sometimes that decision making comes while they are visiting blogs that applied for the campaign. Other times it was decided months ago when the new product was being created and the team got together to create the marketing around it.

Kristen Carr
    @kristen1

Thanks, Felissa! That makes sense. Really appreciate the insight.

Felissa Elfenbein said:

Great question Kristen.

The answer is each Brand or Sponsor is looking for something different. Sometimes that decision making comes while they are visiting blogs that applied for the campaign. Other times it was decided months ago when the new product was being created and the team got together to create the marketing around it.

Felissa
    @Twolittlecavaliers

Hi Elizabeth,

Some more great questions. I am so glad that these tips are getting everyone thinking!

In general I am going to say brands do not shy away from mention of a competitor in the past. Some brands however do not want mention of a competing brand while you are working with them. So far we have not run into any issues where a brand said no to a blogger that was currently working with or had worked with a competitor as long as there were at least a few days between posts.

Brands want to see you consistently putting out new fantastic content that keeps your readers coming back for more. How you make that happen and the mix of different categories of posts that you put out is completely up to you.

Sponsors like to see Evergreen content that will be as relevant in a year as it is today. Evergreen content is a post on a topic that is written in such a way that people will still find the content useful and engaging for a long time to come.

Jessica/YDWWYW/PetTalkMedia
    Participant
    @adventurejess

Thanks for all these great insights Felissa

Elizabeth
    Participant
    @evtk68

Thanks for the info, Felissa. Lots to think about. 

Felissa Elfenbein said:

Hi Elizabeth,

Some more great questions. I am so glad that these tips are getting everyone thinking!

In general I am going to say brands do not shy away from mention of a competitor in the past. Some brands however do not want mention of a competing brand while you are working with them. So far we have not run into any issues where a brand said no to a blogger that was currently working with or had worked with a competitor as long as there were at least a few days between posts.

Brands want to see you consistently putting out new fantastic content that keeps your readers coming back for more. How you make that happen and the mix of different categories of posts that you put out is completely up to you.

Sponsors like to see Evergreen content that will be as relevant in a year as it is today. Evergreen content is a post on a topic that is written in such a way that people will still find the content useful and engaging for a long time to come.

Jeanne
    Participant
    @jmariepursell

Excellent tips!  Thank you!

Amanda Yantos
    Participant
    @ayantos22

Great, simple tips! Love it! 

Carol
    Participant
    @fidoseofreality

Standing on a chair and clapping!

Felissa Elfenbein said:

Hi Elizabeth,

Jeanne
    Participant
    @jmariepursell

Love your enthusiasm Carol regarding “standing on chair and clapping”!!!

Sandra
    Participant
    @dollythedoxie

That’s something I never really thought of, although when I apply for a campaign I do try to write in the comments section that I have experience with their type of product. Carol’s comment has given me something to think about also. Thanks!

Laurie
    Participant
    @laurie4

Really good nuggets for further thought. I love this discussion group!

Susan Lyman
    Participant
    @tailsuntold

Thanks for this great information.  I need traffic to my blog in order to get noticed.  We post really great information that covers so many pet topics and we keep it informative and fun.  Any ideas?  I post my blogs on my website http://www.tailsuntold.com  and on my FB page http://on.fb.me/QDLjTil  and Twitter https://twitter.com/tailsuntold.

Appreciate the help and this great info.

Susan Lyman
    Participant
    @tailsuntold

Paw Shaw-  I forgot to add my blog url..http://blog.tailsuntold.com

Susan Lyman said:

Thanks for this great information.  I need traffic to my blog in order to get noticed.  We post really great information that covers so many pet topics and we keep it informative and fun.  Any ideas?  I post my blogs on my website http://www.tailsuntold.com  and on my FB page http://on.fb.me/QDLjTil  and Twitter https://twitter.com/tailsuntold.

Appreciate the help and this great info.

Coccolino
    @myminipetpig

Very helpful, thank you for sharing these suggestions!

Felissa
    @Twolittlecavaliers

I hope we have another campaign that Coccolino can participate in very soon!

Joy
    Participant
    @mygbgvlife

Great tips! Thank you!

Trina Cooper
    Participant
    @maggie1

Great tips thank you!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.