Home Forums Blog Talk Describe Your Blog In a Tweet (140 characters or less)

53 replies, 14 voices Last updated by Denise Brixey 11 years, 7 months ago
Viewing 53 reply threads
  • Author

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

If you had to tweet a synopsis of what your blog(s) is…so that’s 140 characters or less, what would you say?

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

Story driven content for dog lovers who know that dogs can change our lives if we listen to what they have to say. (23 words!)

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

Nicely succinct, Kim…reading yours promoted me to go back and tweak my own: “Story driven content about the human-canine bond for dog lovers who know that dogs can change our lives if we listen to what they say.”  (26 words…)

Kimberly Gauthier said:

An online magazine for dog lovers sharing tips to provide our dogs with happier, healthier lives that supports and promotes dog rescue. (135 characters).

Whew – thanks for the challenge. This is now my elevator pitch 🙂

Martha Steward
      @picabo1964

Encouraging pet adoption through the pages, rescues make great pets.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Dakota’s Den….the daily doings of a dog named Dakota. Let the barking begin.

Cat Chat- from videos, to products, book reviews, information and FUN! A “Chat” about CATS!

Michelle Maskaly
      @michellemaskaly

A pet lifestyle website covering all things dog (and sometimes cat) related

Susan Hartzler
      Participant
      @susan8

I’m an excellent judge of character…canine charter. Not so with men. Sleep With Dogs is a serial blog that takes a look at the important relationships in my 20s, 30s and 40s.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

LOVE IT!!!!!!  I was the same in my 20s, 30s and 40s….your concept is brilliant and I am sure that many women will be able to relate

Susan Hartzler said:

I’m an excellent judge of character…canine charter. Not so with men. Sleep With Dogs is a serial blog that takes a look at the important relationships in my 20s, 30s and 40s.

Susan Hartzler
      Participant
      @susan8

Thank you so much…I really need the encouragement! 

Caren Osrin Gittleman said:

LOVE IT!!!!!!  I was the same in my 20s, 30s and 40s….your concept is brilliant and I am sure that many women will be able to relate

Susan Hartzler said:

Marie Lisewski
      Participant
      @info122

Blogged by a border collie lab who gives you a dog’s eye view of the world with attitude.

cd mclean
      @mcleacd

Catching Poo:  What We Never Thought We Would Do, but Found Ourselves Doing as Puppy Raisers  of Guide Dogs. Read about Our Journey

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Susan, what I love about it is that it is original, and ohhhh sooo easy to relate to. Especially if people are single forever as I was!

Susan Hartzler said:

Thank you so much…I really need the encouragement! 

Susan Hartzler said:

CJ and My Favorite Pup Jasmine
      @myfavpupjasmine

It’s funny that you’re asking this!  I’m trying to do this right now!  😉   It’s HARD!!!  😛   I guess I’m long-winded!!  😉

Pepper Pomeranian
      Participant
      @pepperpom

Life from Pepper’s point of view.  Cute, funny, fluffy, fun, happy, and PINK!  BOL!!  Photos, products, adventures, info, and more.

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

Now, that quite a few of us have weighed in, go back and see if your blog synopsis is also good SEO. (Not sure I worded that correctly…lol)

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

Fidose of Reality is a canine-centric online magazine style blog where dog lovers of the highest order unite.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

you mean people like me that are at the bottom of the food chain, can’t unite? 🙂

Carol Bryant said:

Fidose of Reality is a canine-centric online magazine style blog where dog lovers of the highest order unite.

@myfavpupjasmine

@Caren-  LOL!  😉

you mean people like me that are at the bottom of the food chain, can’t unite? 🙂

Carol Bryant said:

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

@CJ   🙂     You know me, if it’s in my head it comes straight out of my mouth….lol

CJ and My Favorite Pup Jasmine said:

@Caren-  LOL!  😉

Carol Bryant said:

@myfavpupjasmine

@Carol- Is it best to include the name of your blog in your description?

Carol Bryant said:

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

Hmmm I just did that on impulse but for me, it worked… — good question, CJ

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

These are all really good – keep them in mind for elevator pitches and tweets…. 😉

Deborah TaylorFrench
      @dtfwriter

This is a fab thread. So I’m being naughty and off-track from my novel revision. Here is a go at tweeting my dog blog tagline: Dog Leader Mysteries blog – saving dogs’ lives and dog lovers’ sanity + a twist of dog humor.

This that too mysterious? I would really love to know if it gabs you or needs a few more words. Thanks!

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

I’m just back from my family vacation in the Adirondacks and Deborah, this one caught my eye. Part of what you want (and you do this nicely) is to get your readers to “see” with words exactly what your blog’s purpose is and to give a nod to SEO at the same time – which you also do well. I’m not so sure I’d use the + sign – it might work better this way: saving dogs’ lives and dog lovers’ sanity with a twist of dog humor. Let me mull your tag line around in my head for a few days – I might come up with a slightly different tweak.

Deborah TaylorFrench said:

This is a fab thread. So I’m being naughty and off-track from my novel revision. Here is a go at tweeting my dog blog tagline: Dog Leader Mysteries blog – saving dogs’ lives and dog lovers’ sanity + a twist of dog humor.

This that too mysterious? I would really love to know if it gabs you or needs a few more words. Thanks!

Deborah TaylorFrench
      @dtfwriter

Super! Thanks Kathy.

I am updating my site to move it over to a full on writers Web site under my name. According to leading “publishing” types I need my name to pop out on Google, not my purpose and book titles.

And after reading all the pain bloggers have gotten from using creative commons and free photos, I am going to have to prune away (nice word for TRASH) most of my Mutt Mondays and some Photo Fridays.

Thanks for thinking of me and helping to better SEO. I still don’t have a clear picture of how SEO works. Seems the IT companies keep changing the math behind it all.

Kathy H Porter said:

I’m just back from my family vacation in the Adirondacks and Deborah, this one caught my eye. Part of what you want (and you do this nicely) is to get your readers to “see” with words exactly what your blog’s purpose is and to give a nod to SEO at the same time – which you also do well. I’m not so sure I’d use the + sign – it might work better this way: saving dogs’ lives and dog lovers’ sanity with a twist of dog humor. Let me mull your tag line around in my head for a few days – I might come up with a slightly different tweak.

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

Here’s a partial response – about photos: with maybe one exception, the photos on my site are ones that my husband or I took. Deliberately. I went into blogging already knowing the headaches that could come from using other people’s photos…Here’s what I found out: with a digital camera (I use a Cannon Power Shot A2200 – it’s a lot of fun taking photographs! Who would have thought that? Not me when I first started blogging – but much as I love him, my hubby isn’t always around … I’m a long way from being a professional photographer, but, for my purposes, I don’t need to be. Except for my latest “head shot” – me in the purple jacket w/Tessa? That’s one that I did have professionally done.

Kathy H Porter said:

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

@Kimberly – So..with over 5,000 followers, you should be teaching the rest of us, Miss Kim! I took a brief time out to check out your blog and am going to have to spend some more time there. I love the variety of blogs that create this online community.

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

Funny how when you go on vacation, those spammers get really busy! Love Akismet for that. lol

Kimberly Gauthier said:

We should all do a Google Hangout and trade ideas, tips, and laugh about the spammers who send horrible guest posts!

Kathy H Porter said:

@Kimberly – So..with over 5,000 followers, you should be teaching the rest of us, Miss Kim! I took a brief time out to check out your blog and am going to have to spend some more time there. I love the variety of blogs that create this online community.

cd mclean
      @mcleacd

I just read a transcript of an interview Kimberly did in May (http://becomeablogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/KimberlyGauthier.pdf) and she is very impressive!  I learned so much just reading the interview. 😎 Kimberly:  I’m surprised that most of your followers came from your connections made in linkedin forums.  I just didn’t think linkedin would be of any help for a dog topic!  Your interview was really an eye-opener.

Thanks!

Cheryl

Kimberly Gauthier said:

We should all do a Google Hangout and trade ideas, tips, and laugh about the spammers who send horrible guest posts!

Kathy H Porter said:

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

Wow! Thanks for the link…

cd mclean said:

I just read a transcript of an interview Kimberly did in May (http://becomeablogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/KimberlyGauthi…) and she is very impressive!  I learned so much just reading the interview. 😎 Kimberly:  I’m surprised that most of your followers came from your connections made in linkedin forums.  I just didn’t think linkedin would be of any help for a dog topic!  Your interview was really an eye-opener.

Thanks!

Cheryl

Kimberly Gauthier said:

Kathy H Porter said:

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

Me too! Just clicked on the link, read it, saved it…and will be working with some of “your stuff.” You and everyone else who showed up here today are a breath of fresh air and energy … I can feel the creative juices from all of you. Thank you … it was a good way to re-connect after being offline for 8 days.

Kimberly Gauthier said:

Thanks for mentioning it!!

At first that’s where they came from LinkedIn and fellow bloggers.  Now they’re from friends of my followers.  If you think about it, over 60% of households in the US have pets.  46.3 million households have dogs in the US.  You can check the other pets at this site (http://www.americanpetproducts.org/press_industrytrends.asp).  To me, this means that we can find readers for our blogs everywhere.  We’ll have a better chance in groups/forums/sites about dog lovers, but those places are over loaded with people trying to get subscribers.  Why not broaden our net and cover everywhere.

I have a sign on the back of my SUV that says Keep the Tail Wagging, A Blog for Dog Lovers.  When I’m in traffic, I’m excited, because the person behind me is wondering about my blog and I bet they have a dog or they know someone who has a dog.  I live in a town of dog lovers so I sponsor our dog park and I advertise on billboards in our community.  It’s SOOOO EASY to grow your audience.  And it’s fun coming up with unique ideas too!

I get lots of fans through friends who told them about the site; a friend sees my site and tells their friends about it.  I connected with a PR person who emailed her mailing list about my site, because most of her friends are dog lovers.

We’re the lucky ones.  We can find our audience anywhere!  Think about it.  Someone who writes about blogging can only connect with bloggers.  We write about fur babies – even people who don’t currently have a pet will follow our blog and pass the information on to a friend, coworker, sibling, parent, neighbor. 

I can go on and on.  This is so much fun!!!

cd mclean said:

I just read a transcript of an interview Kimberly did in May (http://becomeablogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/KimberlyGauthi…) and she is very impressive!  I learned so much just reading the interview. 😎 Kimberly:  I’m surprised that most of your followers came from your connections made in linkedin forums.  I just didn’t think linkedin would be of any help for a dog topic!  Your interview was really an eye-opener.

Thanks!

Cheryl

Kimberly Gauthier said:

Kathy H Porter said:

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

@Kathy H Porter : LOVE LOVE LOVE that 140 characters you posted!

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

Why thank you! I had to go all the way back to the very beginning of this thread to remind myself of what I actually wrote… lol

Carol Bryant said:

@Kathy H Porter : LOVE LOVE LOVE that 140 characters you posted!

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

Bling, Bitches & Blood Blog: puppy-licious & cat-tastic content, video and writer-icity tips

Rebecca
      @rebecca.camarena

Join the dogs, Tasha and Spencer in their attempts to get rid of Sassy the cat. Also, dog and cat news, books, tips, giveaways, and more. (138 characters).

Dogs Rule Cats Drool

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

Hm. Wondering if there’s a way to omit: “in their attempts to get rid of ” – tighten it up & make it more sticky for SEO purposes? I love the title: Dogs Rule, Cats Drool – it’s like the “sweet spot” of your URL..What about:

Meet Tasha and Spencer, the canine duo, in their thwarted efforts to banish Sassy the cat.(“thwarted” is a poor choice – it’s what I call a ten dollar word when what you need is a two dollar special – “dogs rule, cats drool, is an excellent two dollar phrase. But, maybe this will get your creative juices flowing…?)

What about:  It’s Tasha and Spencer, the canine duo – the doggie duo – determined to banish Sassy the cat forever. Also, – what kind of dog and cat news? – news about celebrities and their pets? the latest in health news?  … books, (should this be book reviews? ) what kind of tips? caregiver tips? pet behavior tips? ) Here’s my small point: I can “see” a picture when I read “Dogs Rule, Cats Drool” — help me to “see” the details in your tag line…..

Whoops! Did I get a bit carried away? Hope you’re okay with this….you got MY creative juices going.

Rebecca said:

Join the dogs, Tasha and Spencer in their attempts to get rid of Sassy the cat. Also, dog and cat news, books, tips, giveaways, and more. (138 characters).

Dogs Rule Cats Drool

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

PS…I do like the word “Join” – it’s invites your readers in….

Rebecca said:

Dogs Rule Cats Drool

Rebecca
      @rebecca.camarena

Your comment is appreciated. I have never had so much creative feedback before. Thanks.

Kathy H Porter said:

Hm. Wondering if there’s a way to omit: “in their attempts to get rid of ” – tighten it up & make it more sticky for SEO purposes? I love the title: Dogs Rule, Cats Drool – it’s like the “sweet spot” of your URL..What about:

Meet Tasha and Spencer, the canine duo, in their thwarted efforts to banish Sassy the cat.(“thwarted” is a poor choice – it’s what I call a ten dollar word when what you need is a two dollar special – “dogs rule, cats drool, is an excellent two dollar phrase. But, maybe this will get your creative juices flowing…?)

What about:  It’s Tasha and Spencer, the canine duo – the doggie duo – determined to banish Sassy the cat forever. Also, – what kind of dog and cat news? – news about celebrities and their pets? the latest in health news?  … books, (should this be book reviews? ) what kind of tips? caregiver tips? pet behavior tips? ) Here’s my small point: I can “see” a picture when I read “Dogs Rule, Cats Drool” — help me to “see” the details in your tag line…..

Whoops! Did I get a bit carried away? Hope you’re okay with this….you got MY creative juices going.

Rebecca said:

Dogs Rule Cats Drool

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

I really like this @Kimberly.

Kimberly Gauthier said:

An online magazine for dog lovers sharing tips to provide our dogs with happier, healthier lives that supports and promotes dog rescue. (135 characters).

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

Nice, Kim!

Carol Bryant said:

Kimberly Gauthier said:

Martha Steward
      @picabo1964

Kim well done, I am sold on the pitch : )

Kathy H Porter said:

Nice, Kim!

Carol Bryant said:

Kimberly Gauthier said:

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

This exercise really forces you/us to up your/our game when it comes to crafting compelling messages. I love doing this. Isn’t it fun to see what changing even one word will do?

Kimberly Gauthier said:

Thanks – I really love this exercise, because looking at it again, I was able to refine it more…

An online magazine for dog lovers sharing tips to provide our dogs with happier, healthier lives while supporting and promoting dog rescue. (139 characters)

Time to update Facebook!

Carol Bryant said:

Kimberly Gauthier said:

Rebecca
      @rebecca.camarena

This is the tweet that I think more describes my blog.

Join the doggie duo as they try to banish the cat forever.  Sharing articles and tips to provide our pets with happy and healthy home lives.

This is the improved tag line for my blog, but is it to much in a tagline?

Join the doggie duo of Spencer and Tasha as they try to banish Sassy the cat forever.  Sharing “how to” articles providing our pets with happier and healthier home lives.  Also, Ask the Vet, Authors Interviews, Book Reviews, Hollywood Dogs, Pet Savings, Product Reviews and Giveaways.

Thanks for your advice.

Rebecca said:

Your comment is appreciated. I have never had so much creative feedback before. Thanks.

Kathy H Porter said:

Rebecca said:

Dogs Rule Cats Drool

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

I’m still waking up, which means my brain’s a bit fuzzy, but, off the cuff, what about these minor tweeks?

Join my doggie duo (their names) as they …..(not sure about this next part. Banish works, I’d keep the name of your cat in.)  I love the last line: Sharing articles and tips to provide our pets with happy and healthy home lives. – Not sure if you need “home?” –

I wouldn’t worry so much about the length if you come in under the 140 characters – some of us are going to be shorter, some of us a bit longer. You’ve got two great ideas you’re trying to convey: the zany relationship between your two dogs and one cat in combination with the educational aspect of your blog. Keeping the names of your pets in your tag line personalizes your message – at least, that’s what I think – “doggie duo” works because it feeds off of your Dogs Rule, Cats Drool language….

Wait. What about this: Join my doggie duo, Tasha and Spencer as they plot to banish Sassy the cat. Sharing articles and tips to provide our pets with happy, healthy lives. (This is only 27 words.) You can play around with adding/subtracting a few words: Ex) Join my doggie duo, Tasha and Spencer as they plot to banish Sassy the cat forever. We (or I) share articles and tips to provide our pets with happy, healthy (home) lives.  (If you include the word “home”, they you’ll have three words all beginning with the letter “h.” Not a bad thing, but ask yourself if the word “home” works for you or, because you use the word “pets” you don’t really need “home” because it’s generally understood that “pets” live in homes.

Think I just woke up.

What do you think?

Rebecca said:

Join the doggie duo as they try to banish the cat forever.  Sharing articles and tips to provide our pets with happy and healthy home lives.

Join the doggie duo of Spencer and Tasha as they try to banish Sassy the cat forever.  Sharing “how to” articles providing our pets with happier and healthier home lives.  Also, Ask the Vet, Authors Interviews, Book Reviews, Hollywood Dogs, Pet Savings, Product Reviews and Giveaways.

Thanks for your advice.

Rebecca said:

Kathy H Porter said:

Rebecca said:

Dogs Rule Cats Drool

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

PS You could take out the word “our” in the second sentence, so that it reads: We/ I share articles and tips to provide pets with happy, healthy lives.

Kathy H Porter said:

I’m still waking up, which means my brain’s a bit fuzzy, but, off the cuff, what about these minor tweeks?

Join my doggie duo (their names) as they …..(not sure about this next part. Banish works, I’d keep the name of your cat in.)  I love the last line: Sharing articles and tips to provide our pets with happy and healthy home lives. – Not sure if you need “home?” –

I wouldn’t worry so much about the length if you come in under the 140 characters – some of us are going to be shorter, some of us a bit longer. You’ve got two great ideas you’re trying to convey: the zany relationship between your two dogs and one cat in combination with the educational aspect of your blog. Keeping the names of your pets in your tag line personalizes your message – at least, that’s what I think – “doggie duo” works because it feeds off of your Dogs Rule, Cats Drool language….

Wait. What about this: Join my doggie duo, Tasha and Spencer as they plot to banish Sassy the cat. Sharing articles and tips to provide our pets with happy, healthy lives. (This is only 27 words.) You can play around with adding/subtracting a few words: Ex) Join my doggie duo, Tasha and Spencer as they plot to banish Sassy the cat forever. We (or I) share articles and tips to provide our pets with happy, healthy (home) lives.  (If you include the word “home”, they you’ll have three words all beginning with the letter “h.” Not a bad thing, but ask yourself if the word “home” works for you or, because you use the word “pets” you don’t really need “home” because it’s generally understood that “pets” live in homes.

Think I just woke up.

What do you think?

Rebecca said:

Thanks for your advice.

Rebecca said:

Kathy H Porter said:

Rebecca said:

Dogs Rule Cats Drool

Rebecca
      @rebecca.camarena

These suggestions are great. I knew I would get that tag line figured out eventually. It’s almost as hard as writing my own bio. Thanks much.

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

Rebecca! I love it – especially the “how to” added phrase….it’s less than 48 words…live with it for a while and see if it stands up to “the test of time.” You could poll your blog readers and ask them what they think OR ask your FB friends…? Remember one of my earlier comments: use words that make me “see” your blog? Now, not only can I see it, but I REALLY want to check it out!  kp

Kathy H Porter said:

Think I just woke up.

What do you think?

Rebecca said:

Thanks for your advice.

Rebecca said:

Kathy H Porter said:

Rebecca said:

Dogs Rule Cats Drool

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

@Rebecca – So, what’s really cool is that the language of your tag line is as energetic as your actual blog. You do a LOT on your blog and it’s beautifully organized and it “looks” like a fun place to hang out. (And, ta da! I think you’ve crafted a tag line that mirrors the visual impact of your blog.)

Rebecca
      @rebecca.camarena

Thank you. I have had some nice comments about it being unique.

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

Did you design it yourself or did you have some help? 

Rebecca said:

Rebecca
      @rebecca.camarena

My passion is writing, I only came up the picture idea. All the design credit goes to Staci at Blogging Bella Designs. She has also designed my Hollywood Daze blog and currently finishing my facebook headers.

Kathy H Porter said:

Rebecca said:

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

Thanks for the link to Staci – I may have to contact her!  And, you are so right about writing being a passion. I think that might be why I enjoyed our back-and-forth email editing sessions!

Rebecca said:

My passion is writing, I only came up the picture idea. All the design credit goes to Staci at Blogging Bella Designs. She has also designed my Hollywood Daze blog and currently finishing my facebook headers.

Kathy H Porter said:

Rebecca said:

Rebecca
      @rebecca.camarena

I had fun with our conversation, thanks for the challenge and making me think. Staci is a great designer. I will send you her email.

Kathy H Porter said:

Thanks for the link to Staci – I may have to contact her!  And, you are so right about writing being a passion. I think that might be why I enjoyed our back-and-forth email editing sessions!

Rebecca said:

Kathy H Porter said:

Rebecca said:

Denise Brixey
      Participant
      @denisebrixey

Kitty Tales (behind the scenes) is a cat blog about all creatures, great and small.

Viewing 53 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.