Home Forums Blog Talk Help Needed: The Life Cycle of One Blog Post

15 replies, 12 voices Last updated by Melissa K. 9 years ago
Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

You write a fantastic blog post.

You did research, SEO optimized it, have appropriate links and credit, and you have all images in place, properly sized, alt tags marked, and you hit publish.

And 48 hours later, crickets.

Zero comments.

No shares.

But it was your best work evah!!!

Now what?

QUESTION FOR ALL BLOG TALK GROUP MEMBERS:

What is your best tip for marketing a blog post? What is something you do to get the word out there about your latest blog post?

Some suggestions will be used in an upcoming piece I am writing for the BlogPaws blog, so stay tuned and please provide feedback this week.

Jessica/YDWWYW/PetTalkMedia
      Participant
      @adventurejess

After the initial 48 hours, I mostly rely on search traffic to the post. However, for evergreen posts, I will share the link when the topic or subject comes up – social media or email. Also, I tend to reshare my most popular posts every couple of months on my social media channels. It’s not too repetitive because not everyone sees it (or reads it) the first time and you would have also gained new fans during that time.

It’s also important to link back to relevant articles on your blog in current articles you are writing.

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

I also share on several social media sites. It’s vital that you include “eye candy” — fun, evocative pictures that immediately catch the eye. I’ve found that Pinterest is a huge traffic generator, and folks tend to bookmark the images they like and save up to read them over the weekend. I also use Triberr.com twitter tribes and they’re incredibly helpful in re-tweeting/sharing posts that resonate. 

Melissa K.
      Participant
      @thereturns7

I do the same as the others.  I get most of my traffic from Twitter, but my Facebook page is new and growing.  I’m interested in learning how to get more traffic from Pinterest.  I’ll turn to Susan Jackson’s session at the conference. (and Amy Shojai)  I gained so much from the Instagram session with Manny the Frenchie last year!

Elizabeth
      Participant
      @evtk68

Use Triberr like a boss! No really, even when I’m not trying to get my own posts shared, I continue to share other people’s posts on Triberr so when I publish one of my own, my tribemates will share it for a stretch of several days (as they log in and work through their share streams). 

This is controversial, but I also boost all of my blog posts on my Facebook page for at least two days, usually three. When I boost blog posts, I set tight audience demographics and interests and go outside my curent page likes to try and bring in new readers. I’ve seen Facebook traffic to my blog outshine Twitter for the first time, I believe, as a result. 

Another way to get eyes on a special post is to add the link to one’s LinkedIn profile. I’ve got a couple of my standouts linked to mine (probably need to update it). 

Join Facebook groups that have post share days, and use them. 🙂

Jeanne
      Participant
      @jmariepursell

I utilize the same methods sharing multiple times via social media. My two biggest drivers…Pinterest and Instagram!

Anne McIlhany
      @blessallthepets

Since I’m brand-spanking-new to pet blogging – what I’m doing now is learning from the best! I’m finding lots and lots of awesome pet blogs thanks to this site – I’m following as many as I can, reading all their stuff, commenting and liking (not so they’ll like me back, though that’s nice – but b/c I really want to get engaged with the pet blogging community).

I wish I could just snap my fingers and market my blog, but like all dreams, it will take time. In the meantime, I’m having a ball reading all the awesome blogs from the BlogPaws members!

Anne

Aimee
      Participant
      @aimeebeltran

Here are a few of the things I do for new posts and to recycle old posts: 

• Share on all of my social media networks. Sometimes I tweak the images to fit the social media networks image standards.
      • I share that link across several different linky parties in the blogger community 
      • I always create a pinnable image in my post that gets shared on Pinterest. 
      • I also re-pin those images to some group boards that I’m part of. 
      • Tribber! 
      • I also include the link again in my weekly Irresistible Links roundup

Teri
      Participant
      @furrydance

I don’t even know if I know how to do all those things…you should write an e-book!

Teri
      Participant
      @furrydance

Love your ideas and plan!

Kimberly Gauthier said:

I share on several social media sites in the morning. In the afternoon, I go in and schedule reshares of posts that published earlier in the week and month. This includes my mailing list as well.

I’m working on a schedule to read 7 blogs daily and comment on at least 4 of them; this is helpful in boosting content as well. It’s a great way to remind people about you.

I share the blog posts (from other blogs) that I think would be beneficial to my audience.

Also, making it easier for people to share is beneficial too. I use SumoMe share.

Looking forward to reading what others are up to 🙂

Teri
      Participant
      @furrydance

I should recycle more, esp when I run out of time and coherent thought for a new post!

Aimee @ Irresistible Pets said:

• Share on all of my social media networks. Sometimes I tweak the images to fit the social media networks image standards.
      • I share that link across several different linky parties in the blogger community 
      • Tribber! 

Ann
      Participant
      @annstaub

Share on all social media, Triberr, Community Social Media Boosts… if I really want to boost a post, I will share it again in maybe a few days to a week. I usually tweet recent posts out at least once a day during the week I published them. I also might feature the post in my sidebar or newsletter sidebar. 

Stephanie Meek
      @stephmeek00

Wow this is all such great info! I’m brand new to all of this but am so thankful there is a whole community of people with tips and tricks to help! I havent heard of Triberr before but it seems like something I should definitely check out!

Aimee
      Participant
      @aimeebeltran

That is the beauty of it! 

Teri Thorsteinson-Curlz & Swirlz said:

I should recycle more, esp when I run out of time and coherent thought for a new post!

Aimee @ Irresistible Pets said:

• Tribber! 

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

I’ve been recycling some of my previously pub’d articles–had a bunch I’d written for Pawnation, the rights have reverted, and when they re-worked their site pretty much all of my content got trashed (other than titles and a sentence or two). So I can use ’em nearly verbatim with new images and intro.  BOOM! 

Also, I’ve got a bunch of posts that never got any traffic when I first started blogging–had crappy SEO, no images, on and on and on. So I’m slowly reworking those, too. 

Aimee
      Participant
      @aimeebeltran

That’s fantastic! 

One of my top 10 posts from last year was something I wrote in 2011. All because I brought it back to life with a pinnable image and shared on Pinterest! 

Amy Shojai, CABC said:

I’ve been recycling some of my previously pub’d articles–had a bunch I’d written for Pawnation, the rights have reverted, and when they re-worked their site pretty much all of my content got trashed (other than titles and a sentence or two). So I can use ’em nearly verbatim with new images and intro.  BOOM! 

Also, I’ve got a bunch of posts that never got any traffic when I first started blogging–had crappy SEO, no images, on and on and on. So I’m slowly reworking those, too. 

Summer
      Participant
      @borderterriersruleOK

Share – the secret word! I mainly use Google+ to share my content, and have set it to share my new blog posts automatically when I publish them, meaning it’s easier for me to manage. 

Also, whatever post you have just posted, commenting and showing an interest in other people’s blogs and posts helps a lot, as they will then (generally) return the interest to your blog. 

But really, if nobody knows your blog post is there, nobody will comment on it!

Also, if your blog post is mainly photos and random sheddings, then you may find the search engine brings no real interests. However, if your blog post is giving advice or an opinion on a serious topic such as health, training, grooming, etc, then people are more likely to search this specifically and find your post.

For someone who doesn’t do a lot of social media for my blog, I believe my traffic is sound.

Melissa K.
      Participant
      @thereturns7

I have a number of posts that need a makeover from when I was still wet behind the ears. LOL!  Bad font and ginormous photos that take too long to load need new life. This has motivated me.   

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.