Home Forums Blog Talk Image and graphic editing software: what do you use?

11 replies, 10 voices Last updated by Glogirly 7 years, 6 months ago
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Victoria
      Participant
      @tashigant

Hi all! I’m in the process of transitioning my blog from, well, less of a blog and into more of a website. Really, I’m just kicking everything up a notch.

Meaning, I need to up the ante with my graphics and images. They’re a bit lackluster. So I wondered, what do all of you use for your images? 

I’m talking even just basic stuff. Slapping text on images, changing image sizes, etc. I tried getting a handle on GIMP, but it makes me want to scream. There are just too many bells and whistles (which rules out Photoshop as well). Having a Mac, I don’t even have access to Paint.

So…yeah. How do you guys edit your images and make your graphics?

Thanks!

Mary Hone
      Participant
      @talesfromthebackroad

I use Photoshop. I think it’s easiest for adding text to photos. There is an online program called fotor that’s waaaaayyyyy better than picmonkey. Lots of options for text, collage, just about anything. Check that out. It’s free, and very easy to use. 

Jessica/YDWWYW/PetTalkMedia
      Participant
      @adventurejess

I use PicMonkey. It’s my far the easiest and mostly free (you can upgrade to get a few extra fonts and stuff). I use that for really basic photo editing like adjusting the levels, color, clarity, saturation, cropping, etc. and to overlay text on images. It does pretty much everything I need. The one thing that sucks though is that as soon as you close the window with the image in it, no more changes can be made. You can add to the image and continue to adjust but you can’t revert. Canva does text overlay and graphics and saves your file so you can go back to it later. It doesn’t edit images though unless you pay for Canva for business and I have not tried that. Canva for businesses also allows you to quickly resize your images for all of your social channels and has a lot of good graphics templates and clip art. I use PicMonkey to edit images and create most of my Pinterest images. I use Canva for my blog media kit and to quickly resize images.

You can check out my blog here if you want to see some of your pictures: http://www.youdidwhatwithyourwiener.com

Brenda
      Participant
      @brendamariefl

sorry, I really don’t know what you would use.  I take the picture I use myself.  They are not the greatest photo but I this use them because my blog is about my dog.

Elizabeth
      Participant
      @evtk68

PicMonkey to do editing (exposure/sharpen/filters, etc.), some text and overlays.

Canva for fancy text overlays and graphics.

Microsoft Pictures has a decent built-in editor, too. 

Debie Pettry
      @nirvanadog

I use Corel Pro X..it is like Adobe Lightroom but doesn’t take so much memory and the cost is less.  especially like it if I have something I snapped on my phone and it will take out all the digital noise.  It comes with a big book that I have never read, lol. It is easy to use. I also use picmonkey, especially for swapping backgrounds and adding text as it is so fast.

Geoffrey
      Participant
      @aimablecats

I use IrfanView.  It is free for personal or educational use ($12 or €10 for commercial use) and can add text, crop, resize, change colors (RGB channels).  But I don’t think it has a version for Mac.

I have also discovered Pixlr Express (at http://pixlr.com/express/ ) , an online Flash-based editor that allows for much finer edits if you remember to save each step and then save your completed picture.

Jason
      Participant
      @Jason

If you have a Mac try looking in the AppStore (you can find the icon that looks like an ‘A’ in a blue circle in your dock. There are lots of graphics apps there and they all have reviews.

Victoria
      Participant
      @tashigant

Wow, thanks guys! Great responses. I’ll be sure to look into PicMonkey and all of your other suggestions.

I actually found another great site in the meantime – Canva.com. It’s actually just what I was looking for. If anyone is looking for an intuitive site for things like thumbnails and feature graphics, it’s the BEST.

Victoria
      Participant
      @tashigant

A friend actually showed me Canva and it’s EXACTLY what I was looking for! I love it. Thank you!!!

Jessica/YDWWYW/PetTalkMedia said:

I use PicMonkey. It’s my far the easiest and mostly free (you can upgrade to get a few extra fonts and stuff). I use that for really basic photo editing like adjusting the levels, color, clarity, saturation, cropping, etc. and to overlay text on images. It does pretty much everything I need. The one thing that sucks though is that as soon as you close the window with the image in it, no more changes can be made. You can add to the image and continue to adjust but you can’t revert. Canva does text overlay and graphics and saves your file so you can go back to it later. It doesn’t edit images though unless you pay for Canva for business and I have not tried that. Canva for businesses also allows you to quickly resize your images for all of your social channels and has a lot of good graphics templates and clip art. I use PicMonkey to edit images and create most of my Pinterest images. I use Canva for my blog media kit and to quickly resize images.

You can check out my blog here if you want to see some of your pictures: http://www.youdidwhatwithyourwiener.com

Allen
      Participant
      @allen

I am playing with Pixl.com and Canva.com.  

Pixl.com is free and seems to have quite a bit of great features.  

Canva.com, I am still learning.  Only concern is pricing.  Am not sure how much a finished product would cost.  Useful product with several great features.

Glogirly
      Participant
      @glogirl

Photoshop Elements is much simpler than the regular Photoshop program. I was very intimidated at first, but once I learned the few things I need it for it became super easy for me. There are also lots of great tutorials out there.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.