Home Forums Blog Talk Increase Engagement Through Story

5 replies, 4 voices Last updated by Jessica/YDWWYW/PetTalkMedia 9 years, 9 months ago
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Jessica/YDWWYW/PetTalkMedia
      Participant
      @adventurejess

You are a storyteller, whether you know it or not. We share our tips, new products, ideas, fun activities, etc in the hopes of engaging our readers by teaching them something new or inspiring them. Real engagement is a result of good storytelling.

Why is storytelling so powerful and necessary to get our ideas across? Read this article about the science of it: http://lifehacker.com/5965703/the-science-of-storytelling-why-telling-a-story-is-the-most-powerful-way-to-activate-our-brains

On a related note, the ONE book that changed my approach to how I craft engaging messages is Made to Stick –  Why some ideas survive and others die – by Chip and Dan Heath. The book was written in 2007 but the concepts are still very relevant today.

Has anyone read the book? Did it change the way you blog? How?

Sheltie Times
      Participant
      @cledder

This is important.  With all there is to read out there, if we want our stuff to be read it has to engage and interest the reader or they will click on by.

Ann
      Participant
      @annstaub

I love trying to write posts that I can share a personal story along with. I could talk and tell stories all day long about working with animals, but not sure if everyone I know in real life would like to listen to that. So my blog is a great outlet for that! And it’s become my voice too. 

Sheltie Times
      Participant
      @cledder

I think it is a great way to share stories and to remember them.  So much happens and it is easy to forget the small stuff that was so special.  I love going back to reread some of the old entries and remember incidents that would be long forgotten if not for my blog.

Val Silver
      Participant
      @valjean1111

Interesting about how they adopt the ideas as their own. My dad would often reject my mother’s ideas until a few days later he would come to her with this brilliant idea he had (he forgot it was HER idea). What was your big take away from Made to Stick?

Jessica/YDWWYW/PetTalkMedia
      Participant
      @adventurejess

Oh, there was SO much in that book. I guess the main takeaway is that, for an idea to be sticky (be easily remembered and repeated), it needs to follow the SUCCES(s) model – be a simple, unexpected, concrete, credible, emotional story. The entire book is spent explaining and illustrating what those elements mean.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.