Home Forums Blog Talk Making the Move from Google Blogspot to Self-Hosted

14 replies, 8 voices Last updated by Carol 10 years, 4 months ago
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Melissa Lapierre
      Participant
      @melissa0908

I’ve decided that the time is right for me to purchase a domain name so I can do away with the “blogspot” in my blog address. (My blog name is long enough!) I spent some time on Go Daddy this afternoon and found a deal for $1.99 for the 1st year and $9.99 for the second. Is that a good deal?

Honestly, I don’t know what else I’m looking for. Is there anything I should be aware of before I finalize my purchase?

Help!!! LOL

Christie
      Participant
      @czizo

It’s a good deal but be careful with Go Daddy, I’ve heard some nightmares.

Google doesn’t sell domain names anymore? I’m on Blogspot (Blogger) and that’s how I got mine.

Melissa Lapierre
      Participant
      @melissa0908

Hmmm…good question, Christie!

christie zizo said:

It’s a good deal but be careful with Go Daddy, I’ve heard some nightmares.

Google doesn’t sell domain names anymore? I’m on Blogspot (Blogger) and that’s how I got mine.

Angie Bailey
      @catladyland

I bought one of my domains through GoDaddy and thought it was a good deal. I only did a little bit of shopping around and chose GoDaddy based on the price and name recognition. I’m not very techy!

I think I bought Catladyland’s domain directly through Blogger.

Tom
      Participant
      @tom1

Hi Melissa,

Are you talking with GoDaddy about just buying your domain name there, or about hosting your WordPress.org blogsite with them, too?

I’ve used GoDaddy for domain registration for dozens of blogs and sites over the last 10 years and after trying a few others early on, I think GoDaddy is the best for that purpose. Their interface for connecting your domain to your blog is the easiest I’ve seen, they have live human tech support, and you get a free email address with every domain.

On the other hand, I’ve only hosted one WP installation there and only briefly. I’ve done most of my blogging work on TypePad. I think there are other, better options for WP hosting and I’m sure others with a lot more experience can chime in on that part.

Congratulations on the move and please keep us in the loop on what you learn along the way!

Tom

Jessica/YDWWYW/PetTalkMedia
      Participant
      @adventurejess

I agree with Lori on the Google upselling. That being said, where you register your domain name is not a big deal. What matters is where you actually host the site. Spend time looking into that before you make the move. The domain name you can transfer anywhere without any trouble. You don’t want to have to switch hosts often. It can mean re-designing the look of your blog every time you do (only your raw content transfers).

Melissa Lapierre
      Participant
      @melissa0908

That’s what I’m looking for…I still want my Google dashboard. Do I want to pay the extra $7.95 for privacy protection?

Lorie Huston, DVM said:

GoDaddy is really good with upselling. They’ll try to sell you a bunch of things you don’t really need, and they’ll charge you dearly for them. Just say “no thanks” to the things you don’t need. You’ll also need a hosting service, whether that’s with GoDaddy or some other company. The domain name is, of course, the name (URL) of your site. The host is where the site “lives”, if you want to look at like that. Those are the two essentials you’ll need. 

I think the prices you listed are a pretty good deal. Lots of people buy the domain from GoDaddy and host the site with another company. Or you could simply purchase the domain and forward it to your Blogspot URL, if you don’t want to host your blog yourself. 

Melissa Lapierre
      Participant
      @melissa0908

Thanks Tom! I just want to purchase the domain and forward it to my Google Blogspot

Tom Collins said:

Hi Melissa,

Are you talking with GoDaddy about just buying your domain name there, or about hosting your WordPress.org blogsite with them, too?

I’ve used GoDaddy for domain registration for dozens of blogs and sites over the last 10 years and after trying a few others early on, I think GoDaddy is the best for that purpose. Their interface for connecting your domain to your blog is the easiest I’ve seen, they have live human tech support, and you get a free email address with every domain.

On the other hand, I’ve only hosted one WP installation there and only briefly. I’ve done most of my blogging work on TypePad. I think there are other, better options for WP hosting and I’m sure others with a lot more experience can chime in on that part.

Congratulations on the move and please keep us in the loop on what you learn along the way!

Tom

Melissa Lapierre
      Participant
      @melissa0908

I’m going to see if Blogger still sells domains, Angie! I’m not techy either!!!

Angie Bailey said:

I bought one of my domains through GoDaddy and thought it was a good deal. I only did a little bit of shopping around and chose GoDaddy based on the price and name recognition. I’m not very techy!

I think I bought Catladyland’s domain directly through Blogger.

Cathy
      Participant
      @stunningkeisha

I got mine through Google but it’s a GoDaddy domain. I guess they sold it to GoDaddy. I pay $10 a year.

Participant
      @adventurejess

@Bonnie Hmmmm….I have moved twice and it never worked that way for me. The content was backed up and repopulated but not all of the design elements came with it (like purchased fonts, plugins – they had to be re added and re formatted-  and things hard-coded in). 

Participant
      @adventurejess

I don’t know. I pay a web designer to do it for me. Now that you mention it, I’ve always changed themes when I move. Good to know there is not as much work involved if you don’t change Themes.

Dr. Anna M. Coffin
      Participant
      @ACoffin

I have a website with Yahoo so I just moved my WordPress blog over to them to get my own domain name and didn’t have to pay anything extra a month to get it.  So if you have a website you might check with them to see if they offer blog.

Tom
      Participant
      @tom1

Hi Adam,

Not sure what kind of issues you might have heard about GoDaddy and I certainly can’t provide any input on their hosting services, but I have more than a decade of personal experience with them as a domain registrar for both our own blogs and business sites and dozens of clients.

Here’s the bottom line for me: GoDaddy’s domain management interface is so far superior to every other one I’ve every worked with and their 24/7 tech support so helpful, that when Yvonne and I were doing blog design/build/consulting work for several years, we told clients we’d charge them extra if they bought their domains anywhere else. ;-D

Tom

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

I never had a problem with GoDaddy and have used them for a while. I have a tech person but to date, no problems, and knock on wood for me.

Singing Dogs said:

DO NOT use GoDaddy for hosting or domain names.  I’ve had many clients complain and read a lot of issues with them in webmaster forums.  

If you are strictly looking to buy a domain name I like Name.com, which has free privacy but you need to use a coupon. Never had an issue with their services, yet.  

http://adamyamada.com/name-com-review-favorite-domain-registrar/

Namecheap and Namesilo are decent registrars as well.

http://adamyamada.com/namecheap-review/

http://adamyamada.com/namesilo-review/ 

I usually recommend people get privacy since there are bots designed to go in and scrape info from the Whois database.  They grab your info for spamming.  If you have a business address I would use that.     

This support page walks you through how to use a custom domain name with Blogger. It’s pretty easy.   

https://support.google.com/blogger/troubleshooter/1233381?hl=en#ts=…

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.