Home Forums Blog Talk Monday Musings Question: 08/13/12: Blogger Pet Peeves

23 replies, 6 voices Last updated by Caren 11 years, 7 months ago
Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

To kick of the week, I propose a good vent! What are some of your biggest pet peeves in the pet blogging world? Maybe you get spammed a little bit too much? Maybe your server isn’t the most reliable? Or is it people who just don’t understand that pet bloggers are a force with which to be reckoned? All of the above?

Would love to hear some of your biggest pet blogger obstacles/pet peeves and how you deal.

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

Yipes! And all of ’em bullet-pointed. I don’t have any “vents” – think I’m still too busy keeping up with making sure I’m on target for what I want to do. What I’m really proud about is the fact that I’ve had three not-for-profit web site/blogs all approach me about linking opportunities – this was within the 1st six months my getting my dog blog up and running. It was “good karma” that showed me I was going in the right direction.

Kimberly Gauthier said:

Great timing!

I have a few…

• Business people who want a review of their website only; they don’t want a product review.
      • Guest post contributions that are ridiculous – poor grammer, bad facts, and tons of links to non pet sites (cable, cell phones, etc).
      • Guest post contributors who get offended when I turn down their “sponsored post.”
      • PR people who keep emailing me about ther client when I’ve shared with them that I don’t agree with their clients products (I consider them cruel).
      • When I get 20 responses from a HARO inquiry that basically say “call me” and nothing more.
      • The guy who told me that Keep the Tail Wagging is on the internet (no duhh) so I should be willing to accept all opportunities to review products (or sites).  This is after I declined his opportunity to review his website in a blog post AND gave me tips on connect with other pet bloggers and promoting his site.
      • The social networking consultant who managed to get his client 100 Likes and wanted to meet me for coffee to trade ideas.  So I should tell you want I’m doing so that you can apply this to your client and get paid?

No respect!

Thanks for the opportunity to vent.  That felt GREAT!!!

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

I’m afraid I have to plead the 5th…………

But I am enjoying what others are posting 🙂

I’ll just lurk in the rafters for this one hehehe

Dawn
      Participant
      @petproductreview

Not really any vents. I’m with Kimberly on those companies that have nothing to do with pets wanting to guest post on my blog. I know they want the backlinks to appease the Google gods,but how about finding something related to their company or at least quit emailing me when I’m ignoring their emails. 

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

WOW, good ones. I get most irritated when people do not “get” the power of the pet blogger, which in these past few years I have seen a major shift. Pet bloggers are a force to be reckoned with. We have pets, we buy things for them, we influence what others buy for them, too. We tell the truth and we want respect. **putting my soapbox away**

Stefanie Preston
      @stefanie

I agree with most of Kimberly’s vents!

Unfortunately I’ve corresponded with many rude PR people. I’ve been told more than once by PR reps that because my blog is fairly new (3.5 months) I should be lucky they are speaking with me at all and should accept whatever they throw my way. I’ve also had guest post contributors act beyond shocked that I’d politely turn down their post that linked to all sorts of things in no way related to my blog.

Stefanie

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

Holy cats! I guess that I’ve been fortunate, since I’ve not had any truly rude folks. My biggest nits are:

• those who obviously haven’t read my blog and so “pitch” me on topics that are PERFECT (not!) for my audience.
      • Those who want me to publish THEIR information about training/behavior and feature them as the expert…when they really aren’t. Ahem.
      • Offers to “set up an interview with our expert” (someone who is an expert) but I never hear back. I cross those folks off my list reeeeely quick (sadly some are good potential sources, but follow-through matters).
      • offers to “guest blog” on any topic I choose, they are soooooo good that they can write about anything from airplanes to zithers, and they only ask me to link back to their website that sells tupperware  (and nope, they’ve never had a cat or dog…)
      • people who want me to publish their book. Uhm, no, I’m not a publisher.

Great topic!

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

Stefanie, write great content–with consistency–and they will come and sit up and beg for your help. *s* Success is the greatest (and purrrr-fect) revenge. *s*

Stefanie Preston said:

I agree with most of Kimberly’s vents!

Unfortunately I’ve corresponded with many rude PR people. I’ve been told more than once by PR reps that because my blog is fairly new (3.5 months) I should be lucky they are speaking with me at all and should accept whatever they throw my way. I’ve also had guest post contributors act beyond shocked that I’d politely turn down their post that linked to all sorts of things in no way related to my blog.

Stefanie

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Amy you couldn’t be more correct!!

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

@Amy I just love THESE!! “offers to “guest blog” on any topic I choose, they are soooooo good that they can write about anything from airplanes to zithers, and they only ask me to link back to their website that sells tupperware  (and nope, they’ve never had a cat or dog…)” lol! Yep! I get ’em too!!!

I also have really not experienced any rude PR folks at all….I just enjoy writing “interesting” emails back to those who contact me  with “Dear Blogger….I love your site” and have no clue what either of my blogs are about. If they come at me like that they better be prepared for what I rifle back! lol

But “rudeness” from PR people? Nope, never…seriously…..

Amy Shojai, CABC said:

Holy cats! I guess that I’ve been fortunate, since I’ve not had any truly rude folks. My biggest nits are:

• those who obviously haven’t read my blog and so “pitch” me on topics that are PERFECT (not!) for my audience.
      • Those who want me to publish THEIR information about training/behavior and feature them as the expert…when they really aren’t. Ahem.
      • Offers to “set up an interview with our expert” (someone who is an expert) but I never hear back. I cross those folks off my list reeeeely quick (sadly some are good potential sources, but follow-through matters).
      • offers to “guest blog” on any topic I choose, they are soooooo good that they can write about anything from airplanes to zithers, and they only ask me to link back to their website that sells tupperware  (and nope, they’ve never had a cat or dog…)
      • people who want me to publish their book. Uhm, no, I’m not a publisher.

Great topic!

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

To me, as a long-time journalist who now blogs, I believe the integrity factor is pivotal. Bloggers are today’s journalists. I read better writing on many pet blogs than I do in many newspapers. I think the journalist v. blogger debate is a widely contested one these days. Anyone else?

Good points, Kimberly.

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

As a PR person and a writer and a blogger, I get to play both sides of the fence. So ask me how annoyed I get when this morning, for example, I started the day with an email addressed, “Hey, we wrote you two weeks ago about allowing us to guest post for you. How come you haven’t written back?”

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Great points, Amy!

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

Aren’t you glad you’ve got a delete button?

Carol Bryant said:

As a PR person and a writer and a blogger, I get to play both sides of the fence. So ask me how annoyed I get when this morning, for example, I started the day with an email addressed, “Hey, we wrote you two weeks ago about allowing us to guest post for you. How come you haven’t written back?”

Great points, Amy!

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

Integrity is key. I don’t “review” all that much on my blog because I only have one cat and one dog–that’s not a particularly good sample. *s* And I don’t review pet foods, because again–too small a group to test, plus I don’t want to mess with my pets’ health. For me, it’s important to make clear when my blog is “opinion/personal experience”  or is “fact based/citation worthy.”  There’s nothing wrong with fuzzy-fun-reporting or opinion, as long as it’s presented as such. *shrug* Folks get into trouble when they don’t distinguish the two–or worse, don’t know the difference.

Carol Bryant said:

To me, as a long-time journalist who now blogs, I believe the integrity factor is pivotal. Bloggers are today’s journalists. I read better writing on many pet blogs than I do in many newspapers. I think the journalist v. blogger debate is a widely contested one these days. Anyone else?

Good points, Kimberly.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

OMG Carol I love it!!

Carol Bryant said:

Great points, Amy!

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Yes Carol so true! The newspapers/mags are enraged that Bloggers are honing in on their “turf”

Carol Bryant said:

Good points, Kimberly.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

@Amy I agree…I will only feed my dog and cat certain foods, occasionally I will feature another food and I present it as a “feature” not a “review”….I will also mention that neither Cody or Dakota eats it. I try to present many of my reviews in a fun way…..neither of my blogs are super serious “textbook” types of blogs, if I need an issue addressed by an expert that I am not qualified to speak about, I have an “expert” guest blog 🙂

Amy Shojai, CABC said:

Integrity is key. I don’t “review” all that much on my blog because I only have one cat and one dog–that’s not a particularly good sample. *s* And I don’t review pet foods, because again–too small a group to test, plus I don’t want to mess with my pets’ health. For me, it’s important to make clear when my blog is “opinion/personal experience”  or is “fact based/citation worthy.”  There’s nothing wrong with fuzzy-fun-reporting or opinion, as long as it’s presented as such. *shrug* Folks get into trouble when they don’t distinguish the two–or worse, don’t know the difference.

Carol Bryant said:

Good points, Kimberly.

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

Hi @Kimberly, Those are great guidelines. I just prefer not to review pet food. In the past I worked for several years for a major pet food company as a national spokesperson (on behavior, NOT the food!), and so I’ve never felt comfortable reviewing/recommending specific foods or diets. Even in my books I make every effort to include as many comparable products as possible to offer a wide range of options. Pets are as varied as the brands, so what works for one may be awful for another–and even products equal in the bowl may not appeal equally to all pets. *shrug*

My blogs aren’t designed to do reviews, although I do the occasional one of products specific to behavior (my target/beat). So treats fall into this as ways to change/motivate behavior for example. I’ve done some behavior consults for cats who refused to eat (had feeding tubes) but again, offered several suggestions of products that might help.

Great discussion! We all have our own methods and criteria for our platforms. It would be sooooo boring if we were all the same, LOL!

Kimberly Gauthier said:

Amy – even with a small sample, you can still do reviews.  These are the rules I’ve set up for my blog…

1. I don’t return items sent to me for review…

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

@Caren, on my puppies.about.com site I’m very careful about that, too. Since I don’t currently have a puppy, I call on colleagues and friends who do, if paws-on citation is needed. *s* And yep, I will do shout-out mentions on the puppies blog of products that might otherwise not merit a full review, with a note that puppy owners might want to check into it further themselves.

Caren Osrin Gittleman said:

@Amy I agree…I will only feed my dog and cat certain foods, occasionally I will feature another food and I present it as a “feature” not a “review”….I will also mention that neither Cody or Dakota eats it. I try to present many of my reviews in a fun way…..neither of my blogs are super serious “textbook” types of blogs, if I need an issue addressed by an expert that I am not qualified to speak about, I have an “expert” guest blog 🙂

Amy Shojai, CABC said:

Carol Bryant said:

Good points, Kimberly.

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

If I am doing a pet product review and my dog won’t be able to participate (allergies), I see if I can garner a dog who will. Recently while testing the new Nutrish wet food for dogs, I found out a friend’s dog eats the dry version. She wanted her dog to have more moisture in her diet, so we did the trial of the wet food. Worked out famously, which was a win-win for me because I had a great review from a real life tester.

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

I am glad you share what you do, @Kimberly. Ideas make the (pet) blogger world go round!

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

Oh my, nope–can’t imagine why anyone would be offended! The more we share, the better we can improve our own work and see what works best for individual circumstances!

Kimberly Gauthier said:

I wanted to share that I didn’t mean to imply that people should do things the way that I do things.  I was just sharing a suggestion.  I was making the assumption that someone believed that they couldn’t do something and those are challenge words – I love figuring out how to do something and still keep my voice and stay true to my site.

I hope no one was offended.  I can tend to get over excited about blogging and over share.

@Carol – I love the idea of collaborating with a friend. I belong to a local dog group and I should reach out to them for people who currently feed their dogs the food.  Most are on the raw food diet, but you never know 🙂  Thanks for a great idea!

Kimberly

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

I have another: Does anyone read what I blog? So I decided to blog about this and I do believe @Dawn and @Caren will be pleased: http://www.blogpaws.com/2012/08/does-anyone-read-what-i-blog-about.html

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Carol I would like to thank YOU for also having ME think….my own words are words that I have to remind myself of….OFTEN!!!! And…thank you again Dawn for the honor of having featured me…I am so hoping to connect with you again at Tysons Corners (and Carol to FINALLY meet YOU!)

Carol Bryant said:

I have another: Does anyone read what I blog? So I decided to blog about this and I do believe @Dawn and @Caren will be pleased: http://www.blogpaws.com/2012/08/does-anyone-read-what-i-blog-about….

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.