Home Forums Blog Talk Monday Musings Question: 08/20/12: Where Do You Need More Skill?

30 replies, 7 voices Last updated by Caren 11 years, 7 months ago
Viewing 30 reply threads
  • Author

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

It’s Monday, so time to muse with my fellow BlogPaws Community members.

In terms of pet blogging, where do you feel you need to improve your skills? Graphics? Back end of WordPress? Writing and grammar in general? If you had to pick ONE area you can honestly say, “Yes, I need improvement in that,” what would it be?

Me: Making videos for my blog that are less YouTube-ish and more professional in quality without spending a small fortune doing so.

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

I also have imovie but need to learn it. I currently use Windows Movie Maker.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Videos also…and a TON of other things…….  🙂

I use a Flip camera for mine.  I would like to learn how to combine more than one video into one, put captions in better, etc.

I am always open to learning about EVERYTHING!

Dawn
      Participant
      @petproductreview

I’ve been playing around with GIMP (free Photo Shop type software) and I’d like to work more with that. I have gotten better at it. But I need to make an effort to play with it more.

Jennifer Costello
      Participant
      @Coz086

Making videos and grammar in general for sure. Also proofreading, I think I need to hire someone to do that for me:)

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Hire me!! lol. Proofreading is my “thing”…..that goes back to my newspaper days! 🙂

Jennifer Costello said:

Making videos and grammar in general for sure. Also proofreading, I think I need to hire someone to do that for me:)

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Hi Dawn! there are some photo sites that are free and that are super easy to navigate (for those who aren’t technologically savvy which translates to ME)….they are http://www.ribbet.com, http://www.picmonkey.com and http://www.kizoa.com I use them all the time now, my photos are far from being superior quality but they are much better than when I first began blogging.

Dawn Miklich said:

I’ve been playing around with GIMP (free Photo Shop type software) and I’d like to work more with that. I have gotten better at it. But I need to make an effort to play with it more.

Jennifer Costello
      Participant
      @Coz086

Well lets see, would you take payment in the form of slobbery Newfies kisses?:)

Caren Osrin Gittleman said:

Hire me!! lol. Proofreading is my “thing”…..that goes back to my newspaper days! 🙂

Jennifer Costello said:

Dawn
      Participant
      @petproductreview

Thanks Caren! I’ve heard of PicMonkey but not the other 2. I’ve always been fascinated with the graphics and what people can do with PhotoShop. I was thrilled when I found GIMP a few years ago since it’s free (so within my meager budget) because I could play. Now I just need to play more.

I’ll keep PicMonkey in mind if I need something done to a picture that I don’t know how to do in GIMP.

Hi Dawn! there are some photo sites that are free and that are super easy to navigate (for those who aren’t technologically savvy which translates to ME)….they are http://www.ribbet.com, http://www.picmonkey.com and http://www.kizoa.com I use them all the time now, my photos are far from being superior quality but they are much better than when I first began blogging.

Dawn Miklich said:

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

@Caren – I, too, use PicMonkey but the others are new to me, too. I use Fast Stone Photo Resizer for my pic resizing. Free and love it but not Mac compatible.

Denise Brixey
      Participant
      @denisebrixey

I’m so sorry that this is so late, but I had a migraine for 5 days, so I have been offline until today.  I am brand new at blogging and I am having great difficulties with the setup on blogspot.  Did I choose the wrong blogger program?  I have been ready to throw the computer out the window several times, but the looks on my cats faces have stopped me.  They have something to say, and I had better get over it so that I can take dictation!

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

@Carol “ribbet” is the old “Picnik” that they recently took away, I greatly prefer it to PicMonkey because it has so much more!  I’m a “PC Girl”  🙂

Carol Bryant said:

@Caren – I, too, use PicMonkey but the others are new to me, too. I use Fast Stone Photo Resizer for my pic resizing. Free and love it but not Mac compatible.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Denise I am on Blogger for Cat Chat and WordPress for Dakota’s blog……I am not the most tech savvy person in the world but if there is any way I can help you with Blogger I am happy to!

Denise Brixey said:

I’m so sorry that this is so late, but I had a migraine for 5 days, so I have been offline until today.  I am brand new at blogging and I am having great difficulties with the setup on blogspot.  Did I choose the wrong blogger program?  I have been ready to throw the computer out the window several times, but the looks on my cats faces have stopped me.  They have something to say, and I had better get over it so that I can take dictation!

Denise Brixey
      Participant
      @denisebrixey

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

@Caren I have dual personality here – PC desktop and running MAC laptop lol. I had no idea Ribbet was the old Picnik. I have to check it out! TY!

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Hi Dawn! the ones I mentioned are all free as well 🙂

http://www.ribbet.com is the old “picnik”……..it’s EXACTLY the same 🙂

Dawn Miklich said:

Thanks Caren! I’ve heard of PicMonkey but not the other 2. I’ve always been fascinated with the graphics and what people can do with PhotoShop. I was thrilled when I found GIMP a few years ago since it’s free (so within my meager budget) because I could play. Now I just need to play more.

I’ll keep PicMonkey in mind if I need something done to a picture that I don’t know how to do in GIMP.

Dawn Miklich said:

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That is the BEST payment EVER!

Jennifer Costello said:

Well lets see, would you take payment in the form of slobbery Newfies kisses?:)

Jennifer Costello said:

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

@Carol LOL!!! Yep!! Ribbet IS!! You will be sooooooooooo happy! 🙂

Carol Bryant said:

@Caren I have dual personality here – PC desktop and running MAC laptop lol. I had no idea Ribbet was the old Picnik. I have to check it out! TY!

Karen Nichols
      Participant
      @karen.nichols

I’m trying to focus more on compelling video content as well — stuff that’s different from the usual cute cat videos, and maybe working that into product reviews. The hard thing is figuring out how to make the time involved worthwhile… or find out a way to make videos faster. 

And for about the last 15 years I’ve been promising myself to master Illustrator, which I’d like to use in graphics on the blog. 

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Karen you should contact the “Video Queen” Glogirly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She is just beyond fabulous!

Karen Nichols said:

I’m trying to focus more on compelling video content as well — stuff that’s different from the usual cute cat videos, and maybe working that into product reviews. The hard thing is figuring out how to make the time involved worthwhile… or find out a way to make videos faster. 

And for about the last 15 years I’ve been promising myself to master Illustrator, which I’d like to use in graphics on the blog. 

Dominique Foreman
      @foreman_dominique

I had no idea that Picnik came back, I was distraught when they shut their doors! Fantastic! Thanks Caren for the info on Ribbet!

Dawn Miklich said:

Dawn Miklich said:

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

You are welcome Dominique! They aren’t technically “Picnik” but it is all of the exact same stuff! I forget where I found out but like you, I was distraught as well. Can’t tell you how happy I was when I found out! Glad I could brighten your day! 🙂

Dominique Foreman said:

I had no idea that Picnik came back, I was distraught when they shut their doors! Fantastic! Thanks Caren for the info on Ribbet!

Dawn Miklich said:

Dawn Miklich said:

Karen Nichols
      Participant
      @karen.nichols

Thanks for the heads up on Picnik, Caren. I was so upset when Google bought them (beginning of the end, ya know). 

There’s also befunky.com. Not as versatile as Picnik, but has some effects not available elsewhere.

Dawn
      Participant
      @petproductreview

Denise,

What kind of problems are you having? If you want to start a new discussion and let us know what the problems are there may be someone who can help. 

I have to say, I’ve tried starting a few blogs on Blogger and I just don’t like it as much as I like WordPress. For some reason I get WordPress better. 

Denise Brixey said:

Karen Nichols
      Participant
      @karen.nichols

Caren, not that I could ever be as proficient as Glogirly, but my problem is less about creating a video — I’ve been an interactive producer for web video and my bro-in-law went to film school, works in Hollywood and is generous in spending time helping me out when I’m trying to figure out how to shoot something I’ve conceptualized.

My problem is the time required to produce video vs. the time it takes to take an easier route like posting a couple of photos… esp. when you’re not getting paid for either. It takes longer to storyboard and complete my shot list than it does to write a week’s worth of posts … and that’s before I start editing. 

And there’s the problem with cats not being very cooperative actors.

Karen you should contact the “Video Queen” Glogirly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She is just beyond fabulous!

Karen Nichols said:

Denise Brixey
      Participant
      @denisebrixey

Dawn:

Thank you for the offer.  Caren and I got together today and spent some time on the phone.  I think I’m ok for now.  There may be a few questions as I go along.  I will not hesitate to ask the group.  At least I have somewhere to go, and I don’t have to throw my computer through the window.

Dawn Miklich said:

Denise,

What kind of problems are you having? If you want to start a new discussion and let us know what the problems are there may be someone who can help. 

I have to say, I’ve tried starting a few blogs on Blogger and I just don’t like it as much as I like WordPress. For some reason I get WordPress better. 

Denise Brixey said:

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Yep…two hours on the phone 🙂

I was happy to help and it was great chatting with you and meeting you, even if it was just on the phone! ((((hugs))))

Denise Brixey said:

Dawn:

Thank you for the offer.  Caren and I got together today and spent some time on the phone.  I think I’m ok for now.  There may be a few questions as I go along.  I will not hesitate to ask the group.  At least I have somewhere to go, and I don’t have to throw my computer through the window.

Dawn Miklich said:

Denise,

Denise Brixey said:

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

“time” and “cooperating cats” the age-old problems 🙂

Karen Nichols said:

Caren, not that I could ever be as proficient as Glogirly, but my problem is less about creating a video — I’ve been an interactive producer for web video and my bro-in-law went to film school, works in Hollywood and is generous in spending time helping me out when I’m trying to figure out how to shoot something I’ve conceptualized.

My problem is the time required to produce video vs. the time it takes to take an easier route like posting a couple of photos… esp. when you’re not getting paid for either. It takes longer to storyboard and complete my shot list than it does to write a week’s worth of posts … and that’s before I start editing. 

And there’s the problem with cats not being very cooperative actors.

Karen Nichols said:

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Karen you are welcome! I was upset too and wish I could remember the blog that I read that told me about ribbet. Somehow I think it wasn’t a pet blog. Thanks for the info about befunky, will check them out for sure!

Karen Nichols said:

Thanks for the heads up on Picnik, Caren. I was so upset when Google bought them (beginning of the end, ya know). 

There’s also befunky.com. Not as versatile as Picnik, but has some effects not available elsewhere.

Denise Brixey
      Participant
      @denisebrixey

It sure didn’t seem that long.  I had great fun AND I learned a lot!  Now I’m not so worried that I’ll blow it!  It’s nice to have a friend in this adventure!  Thanks, again, Caren!  {{{{hugs back}}}}

I was happy to help and it was great chatting with you and meeting you, even if it was just on the phone! ((((hugs))))

Denise Brixey said:

Dawn:

Dawn Miklich said:

Denise,

Denise Brixey said:

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

lol Denise it was 🙂 But the time DID fly!!!! I had great fun as well and we learned from each other! I say the more friends the merrier and I am happy to have you as a friend too! 🙂

Denise Brixey said:

It sure didn’t seem that long.  I had great fun AND I learned a lot!  Now I’m not so worried that I’ll blow it!  It’s nice to have a friend in this adventure!  Thanks, again, Caren!  {{{{hugs back}}}}

Denise Brixey said:

Dawn:

Dawn Miklich said:

Denise,

Denise Brixey said:

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.