Home Forums Blog Talk Monday Musings Question: 8-27-12

12 replies, 8 voices Last updated by Melody McKinnon 11 years, 7 months ago
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

Good morning and happy Monday to all!!!! This week’s blogger question involves handling replies negativity. We ALL deal with it, right? How have you responded to negative comments about a blog post or something you wrote when the person puts it right on your Facebook or perhaps even on your blog? I have also seen this sort of thing on Twitter. Difference of opinion makes the world go round. We all can’t agree: the world would be a boring place, after all.

However, how do you handle negative folks(not spammers)?

Robbi Hess
      @robbi

Hi,

I usually thank them for commenting and kind of leave it at that rather than starting a back and forth war of words.

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

I did have one guy comment that my form of capitalization drove him nuts. He felt that it got in the way of his reading. It was a double-edged comment in that he liked my content just didn’t like my “technique.” And, I left his comment up on my blog, wrote back that I understood his frustration, that he’d given me something to think about, and in all of my future posts, I was mindful of his criticism. Now, for some of the really obnoxious comments – they never see the light of day because my spam blocker Akismet WP plugin, stops them cold.

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

There are also Internet trolls out there. I welcome healthy discussion and debate that serves to educate, enlighten, and/or inform. But as @Kimberly so eloquently pointed out, there are those who just argue for the sake of arguing and try to personalize it. Not worth my keystrokes 😉

Melody McKinnon
      @MelodyM

I don’t mind discussing something and offering more information to support my POV, but there’s a fine line between a healthy debate and being argumentative.

On the flip side, some bloggers are way too defensive when they perceive feedback as negative (sometimes even when it isn’t really negative, just discussion or providing additional information).  They take everything as a personal slight and God help you if you actually imply they’re incorrect about something.  Those people have issues that should not be in the public eye.

Some people live to make others as miserable as they are.  It’s up to me if they succeed.  It’s not always easy to be the bigger person when dealing with small people, but my friend once put it into perspective for me…

“Does a whale notice when a minnow farts?”

Now that makes me smile every time I’m dealing with miserable people…LOL.

Melody McKinnon
      @MelodyM

The wisdom we gain from hanging out with people who are older than dirt…LOL.  It was even more funny to me because we’re both aquarium enthusiasts.

Kimberly Gauthier said:

Love this!

Melody McKinnon said:

“Does a whale notice when a minnow farts?”

Now that makes me smile every time I’m dealing with miserable people…LOL.

Denise Brixey
      Participant
      @denisebrixey

I agree with you, Carol.  It isn’t worth it.  When I started, I took everything personal, that’s the kind of person that I am.  BUT it’s not worth the time and energy to respond.  I value my time and that’s generally not a good use of it.  If the person has a valid point however, I might thank him and maybe even keep it in  mind for the future.  Life is too short to take yourself so seriously.

Carol Bryant said:

There are also Internet trolls out there. I welcome healthy discussion and debate that serves to educate, enlighten, and/or inform. But as @Kimberly so eloquently pointed out, there are those who just argue for the sake of arguing and try to personalize it. Not worth my keystrokes 😉

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

@Denise. I look at it this way: Is this person worthy of my emotions getting all worked up and my valuable oxygen time on Earth? Nope. 😉

CJ and My Favorite Pup Jasmine
      @myfavpupjasmine

Depends on how negative they are.  If they offer constructive criticism, I try to see thinks from their point of view.  I try to remain objective, and validate their comment.  I usually stay neutral, and say it will give me something to think about.  If I truly have something I feel like writing back- I will respond to them privately in an email.  (and not in a public forum.)    If it’s just a true troll who’s just being negative to start a fight, I ignore it.

Dawn
      Participant
      @petproductreview

I am trying to think, but I can’t come up with any time someone’s left a negative comment. I’m sure there’s something, but probably nothing that really bothered me so I don’t remember. I am okay with differences of opinion and as long as it wasn’t nasty or full of misinformation that could harm a pet I’d probably just let it go. I would try to correct any misinformation. To me that’s important. The great thing is that this isn’t face to face so I can take time to write something that I hope wouldn’t sound nasty. 

It is sad that there are those people who feel real brave hiding behind their computer screens and they just say whatever they want. I agree they don’t deserve a response,but they might deserve a deletion of their comment if they choose to pick my blog or FB to vent on.  You’re in my territory now and I have certain powers I can use. :>)

Jennifer Costello
      Participant
      @Coz086

I have dealt with negative comments in few different ways:

1. Thank them for the comment and leave it as that.

2. Ignore them

3. Be sarcastic. (because that is me)

I have found that in some cases if I don’t respond to them one of my readers will and I just watch it unfold from there unless of course it gets out of hand, which it never has. 

For me it all depends on what their comment was, what topic they are commenting on, or what kind of mood I am in that day. Sometimes it is better for me to just leave it alone because what I really want to say is not professional at all. 

Denise Brixey
      Participant
      @denisebrixey

To say nothing of your blood pressure,eh?  LOL!

Carol Bryant said:

@Denise. I look at it this way: Is this person worthy of my emotions getting all worked up and my valuable oxygen time on Earth? Nope. 😉

Melody McKinnon
      @MelodyM

I totally felt the wicked smile that accompanied that statement…LOL…maybe I even heard a cackle!  <):-)

Dawn Miklich said:

You’re in my territory now and I have certain powers I can use. :>)

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.