Home Forums Blog Talk Monday Musings Question of the Week: 09/04/12

19 replies, 7 voices Last updated by Dawn 11 years, 7 months ago
Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

Hoping you all had a great Labor day long holiday weekend. Now that we’re back into the grind of it all (and that’s a GOOD thing), here’s this week’s BlogPaws question up for chatter and debate:

Where do you look to find sources of news and things to blog about? And part B to that: Do you prefer/like to read blogs that have fact-based quotes and sources associated with their postings or does that not matter to you?

Robbi Hess
      @robbi

I rely on Google Alerts and check Yahoo! News every morning. That’s where the idea for Henrietta’s latest post came from – Yahoo! http://www.mydivasdish.com/2012/09/is-your-dog-a-stress-destroyer-1.html

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

I also use Google Alerts, events in our lives, the good ‘ol calendar (for holidays/events), Petfinder.com, other rescue organizations for other dates, the “Cat Blog-o-sphere”, pet newsletters, local newspapers, TV, etc., etc. 

If someone is presenting detailed technical, nutritional, health related info I would appreciate quotes and sources…for a casual blog post, obviously not

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

omg Linda I love that and I soooooooooooo agree!!! lol!!!

Linda Messina said:

I hit the ‘usual suspect’ sources but I have others that I go to that are not mainstream to create informational and educational posts. I could tell you what they are but then I would have to . . . well you know. . . 🙂

GOOD MORNING end of Summer and start of a new season, new experiences, new friends and new everything!

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

I follow the PR wire and have select websites I contain in a Word doc that I scroll through twice a day in addition to Google alerts and an Excel spreadsheet chockful of sites collected and updated over the years.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

you know what? We ALL forgot a main source for ideas……..BLOGPAWS!! DUH! 🙂

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Kimberly I’m with you on that completely. Anyone can regurgitate info from Wikipedia or books, etc. I couldn’t agree more 🙂

Kimberly Gauthier said:

I really like to read about a blogger’s personal experience.  I don’t mind facts too, but I really want to see how they tie those facts into their experience and how it worked out.

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

I like quotes and sources for when there is info shared. If it is a first-person piece that is sharing an experience, then no, sans quotes and resources not needed.

BJ
      Participant
      @bjbangs

I started blogging at wordpress.com about a year ago, and very shortly found out it’s limitations, and changed over to wordpress.org, purchasing my domain – bjbangs.net with a tag line Paws for Reflection. That was a challenge, and I never did get some of my followers over to the new site. I’m glad I made the change early on.

I use Google alerts alot for news and info. I personally am looking for fact-based information to use when blogging about serious issues, and seriously vet my sources because I don’t want to misinform people.But I also try to add a little bit of a personal connection to give it relevance to the posting. I also try to mix fact based postings with some levity. I’ve found people like humor and cute.

When blogging, what online photo gallery do you find the most user-friendly. I will be taking photos of an upcoming conference, and want people to be able to fill in names easily. Picassa is easy, but doesn’t seem to have this capability. Flickr seems a bit harder to use?? Suggestions or comments. Thanks.

Jennifer Costello
      Participant
      @Coz086

This is an interesting topic! I actually use my job for sources sometimes, especially if I start seeing a trend happen at work I will write a post about it. For example, I  just wrote a post on acorns being toxic to dogs because it’s that time of the year that we start to see a lot of dogs present with diarrhea, my own dog included, and while there are a ton of reasons that a dog could have diarrhea , at this time of the year we always ask about acorn consumption.

Now, this may sound like a silly question, but what is this Google Alert you all are talking about? 

Dominique Foreman
      @foreman_dominique

I’m definitely with Kimberly…I’ve probably read all of those news articles and information too, so I enjoy reading posts that relate to the author and provide a more personal experience and/or opinion! Since I’ve just started pet blogging I’m still trying to obtain resources, but as of right now, I focus on good old Google and what people are talking about on social media! It’s working for me right now. 🙂

Dominique Foreman
      @foreman_dominique

Google alert is an email notification system that gathers all types of information from across the web on whatever keywords that you are interested in. It’s a fun tool! http://www.google.com/alerts

Jennifer Costello said:

This is an interesting topic! I actually use my job for sources sometimes, especially if I start seeing a trend happen at work I will write a post about it. For example, I  just wrote a post on acorns being toxic to dogs because it’s that time of the year that we start to see a lot of dogs present with diarrhea, my own dog included, and while there are a ton of reasons that a dog could have diarrhea , at this time of the year we always ask about acorn consumption.

Now, this may sound like a silly question, but what is this Google Alert you all are talking about? 

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

@Jennifer – if you Google “google alerts,” you can set up any type of criteria you want and frequency to be notified. You can even set them up for yourself. So, for example, if you want to know whenever someone is writing about “My Brown Newfies,” you set up a Google alert for that. Whenever that is mentioned somewhere online, you will get an email notification at your desired frequency. It helps to have these for news and dog things, etc.

TY on the acorns note, too!

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

@BJ – I am with you – I love wordpress.org – no limits there. For photos, I generally use photobucket – and no probs so far after 3 years of pet blogging.

BJ Bangs said:

I started blogging at wordpress.com about a year ago, and very shortly found out it’s limitations, and changed over to wordpress.org, purchasing my domain – bjbangs.net with a tag line Paws for Reflection. That was a challenge, and I never did get some of my followers over to the new site. I’m glad I made the change early on.

I use Google alerts alot for news and info. I personally am looking for fact-based information to use when blogging about serious issues, and seriously vet my sources because I don’t want to misinform people.But I also try to add a little bit of a personal connection to give it relevance to the posting. I also try to mix fact based postings with some levity. I’ve found people like humor and cute.

When blogging, what online photo gallery do you find the most user-friendly. I will be taking photos of an upcoming conference, and want people to be able to fill in names easily. Picassa is easy, but doesn’t seem to have this capability. Flickr seems a bit harder to use?? Suggestions or comments. Thanks.

BJ
      Participant
      @bjbangs

Wow, Photo Bucket is pretty cool. I don’t have to resize everything before uploading.

As for Google Alerts, you sign up for them through Google. For whatever topic you wish to follow including yourself. Then, you get a daily email with many links, newspapers and online articles, that refer to the topic that you had signed up for.

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

I like Photobucket and why fix what ain’t broke, right? It’s served me well so far…. 😉

BJ Bangs said:

Wow, Photo Bucket is pretty cool. I don’t have to resize everything before uploading.

As for Google Alerts, you sign up for them through Google. For whatever topic you wish to follow including yourself. Then, you get a daily email with many links, newspapers and online articles, that refer to the topic that you had signed up for.

Jennifer Costello
      Participant
      @Coz086

@Carol and @Dominque, thank you for the info on Google Alerts! I am going to check it that out tonight. I’ve heard the name thrown around before but I had no idea what it was all about! 

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

@Linda – so these “other sources” – pretty cool ones, eh? LOL

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

Also, do you all know about Kurrently.com??? Check it out.

Dawn
      Participant
      @petproductreview

Usual sources here- Google Alerts and PR Wire. Also forums I belong to (some people are great about sharing news and resources) and some pet email newsletters I receive.

It’s depends on the topic as to whether I prefer reading blog posts that include sources. Having spent 8 years working in a vet clinic and knowing that some people will believe anything, I worry about people looking for information coming across a blog where the information is not accurate. I love reading anecdotal information, when I really got into researching diabetic cat care, it was so helpful. But I occasionally come across some things that are totally out of this world and someone who doesn’t know better could take as it as fact possibly hurting their pet. Having some sources helps guide readers to further information as well as shows that the blogger isn’t just sharing something off the top of their head.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.