Home Forums Blog Talk Monday Musings Question of the Week: 09/17/12

14 replies, 9 voices Last updated by Terri Malloy 11 years, 7 months ago
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

Content is king, right? We hear this in seminars, blog posts, and if you’ve been to a BlogPaws conference, you’ve heard that muttered time and again. So how often are you blogging each week and do you feel it is enough? Ideally, how many times a week would you like to blog? What would it take to help achieve that goal?

Volley, your serve. 😉

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

I commit to 3 days per week on both blogs but more often than not I am blogging 5-6 days. Trust me, with 2 blogs I much prefer blogging just 3 days per week on both. I commit to 3 days on each and reserve the other days for if unexpected topics/events come up that I want to blog about.

Occasionally I will have more than one blog post per day but I try not to do that because i think it is overkill. I would rather “Leave ’em wanting more” 🙂

Annette @ snoopysdogblog
      @snoopy

I can just about cope with 3 times a week – I stick to particular days to be consistent – Snoop likes to reply to each comment, so this is about the limit for us…..

🙂

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Annette sadly we reply to almost every comment too…that is why mom is ready to tear her hair out. Especially this week lol. Too much to do and Mom is a nervous wreck! I usually stick to particular days too. Mon, Wed and Fri and the others are “add ons” 🙂

Annette @ snoopysdogblog said:

I can just about cope with 3 times a week – I stick to particular days to be consistent – Snoop likes to reply to each comment, so this is about the limit for us…..

🙂

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Kimberly “whew” is right!! For you too!! 🙂

Kimberly Gauthier said:

I blog 4x a week. Monday is Cats v Dogs and I have content scheduled for Tue, Thu, and Sat. I’ve found that blogging daily is overwhelming for my followers, but I have too much content to blog less than 4 days a week.

When I had 3 blogs, I would commit to 3x a week, because that kept me from going nuts, but eventually I burned out on the other two blogs and now focus Keep the Tail Wagging and I’m a featured blogger on other sites.

I’ve had that experience too, Caren – 2 posts in one day. I try not to do this, but it does come up every now and again.

Whew!

Kimberly
      Keep the Tail Wagging 🙂

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

I’ve been doing 5-7 times a week of late but other weeks 4 times a week but posting twice a day. How did you all decide what works best for you?

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

From my experience the most popular blogging days are Mondays (the beginning of the week, people like to add levity to their week), Wednesdays (Hump Day and Wordless Wednesday) and Fridays (the WEEKEND!!)

I can tell that others feel the same because blog posts and emails are greatly reduced on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

I know that many blog on Saturday but I find that to be a pretty useless day. People are off doing other things and if they read at all they won’t get to a Saturday post til a day or two later.

I will do a Saturday post but they are infrequent.

Kimberly Gauthier said:

My schedule has been determined by my audience.  I ask for feedback from people – what do you want to read, how often.  And I also check and recheck my Facebook insights and Google analytics to see what is getting clicked.

At first I was leaving the other days open just in case “breaking news” happened, but now it’s just a nice break for me so that I can work on other things too.

Kimberly

Carol Bryant said:

I’ve been doing 5-7 times a week of late but other weeks 4 times a week but posting twice a day. How did you all decide what works best for you?

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

Three times a week for my personal blog and once or twice a week on the other is all I can manage with all the other deadlines. Whew.

CompanionAnimalPsychology Blog
      @redwingwinter

I blog once a week, on a Wednesday. I don’t think I could manage more often! Kudos to those who do. It actually takes me a long time to write each post. I try and keep up with research on animal behavior and sometimes it takes me a while just to decide what to write about. I don’t exactly cover ‘breaking news’ but if someone has just published a paper that I’d like to write about, I put it in the next available slot.

Kia
      Participant
      @comewagalong

I blog about 3-4xs a week. Sometimes I post more than once in a day. I usually just blog whenever…definitely on Wednesdays and Fridays, but I think I’m going to start posting on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

BJ
      Participant
      @bjbangs

I try to blog three times a week, but with wordless wednesday, that’s an extra. I have returned to the idea of a mash up of cat news on Fridays, which also keeps me up to date with what cat issues are in the news.

I try to post on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. As for the ideas for blogging they are endless. I started my blog last October, and my goal is looking at the bigger picture, to the future.

One thing that I find to be a bit of a paradox though is that I’m blogging to establish credibility, build knowledge, and share information. However, I find people really like the cute, humorous and bizarre. Any suggestions on how to juggle the two.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

BJ if we find the answer to that we will be millionaires! lol. A number of us who have been blogging for some time (I am going on 3 yrs)…have found that we can pour our hearts out writing a piece that we feel is superb and it won’t get many hits…….but….put  up a silly or cute cat photo…….WHAM……

One thing I do know is I have read that for anything on the Internet we live in a “hit and run society” Long posts will be skimmed and won’t be read thoroughly so the length should be monitored…the same for videos..anything over 2 minutes….fuhget about it!

BJ Bangs said:

I try to blog three times a week, but with wordless wednesday, that’s an extra. I have returned to the idea of a mash up of cat news on Fridays, which also keeps me up to date with what cat issues are in the news.

I try to post on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. As for the ideas for blogging they are endless. I started my blog last October, and my goal is looking at the bigger picture, to the future.

One thing that I find to be a bit of a paradox though is that I’m blogging to establish credibility, build knowledge, and share information. However, I find people really like the cute, humorous and bizarre. Any suggestions on how to juggle the two.

Elizabeth Benoit
      @ehbenoit

I try to write an anecdote post for my blog to post on Mondays. They usually take me a while to write. Then, I post photo blogs with captions on Wednesday and Thursday. Since I also have another blog, I get overwhelmed when I do more. Before I joined BlogPaws I was only posting an anecdotal post once a week. Thanks to a discussion reply by Caren I came up with the idea for posting photo posts the other two days a week. Now I feel that I am at least trying to be a better blogger. Thanks again Caren for the great advice.

Caren Osrin Gittleman said:

From my experience the most popular blogging days are Mondays (the beginning of the week, people like to add levity to their week), Wednesdays (Hump Day and Wordless Wednesday) and Fridays (the WEEKEND!!)

I can tell that others feel the same because blog posts and emails are greatly reduced on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

I know that many blog on Saturday but I find that to be a pretty useless day. People are off doing other things and if they read at all they won’t get to a Saturday post til a day or two later.

I will do a Saturday post but they are infrequent.

Kimberly Gauthier said:

My schedule has been determined by my audience.  I ask for feedback from people – what do you want to read, how often.  And I also check and recheck my Facebook insights and Google analytics to see what is getting clicked.

At first I was leaving the other days open just in case “breaking news” happened, but now it’s just a nice break for me so that I can work on other things too.

Kimberly

Carol Bryant said:

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

@Elizabeth it is my pleasure! I am here whenever you need me!

Terri Malloy
      @tmalloy21

Right now, I try to post at least once a week but it’s probably more like every week and a half or so. I’m asking our adopters to submit posts too but haven’t had any luck with that yet. Ideally I would like to post twice a week. Scheduling it in and having a list of things to post about would help. I’ll work on that this week. Thanks for making me take time to think about it!

Here is my latest post http://fastfriendsgreyhounds.blogspot.com/2012/09/new-students-at-keene-state-brings-new.html. All comments and suggestions welcome. I would also like to build my audience so if you like it, please consider following. Thanks and have a greyt day!

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.