Home Forums Blog Talk Monday Musings: Week of 09/24

30 replies, 13 voices Last updated by Dominique Foreman 11 years, 6 months ago
Viewing 30 reply threads
  • Author

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

Each Monday, a new question to get the week off on the motivational, informative foot, er paw?

Do you consider yourself a journalist, a blogger, or a bit of both? Are bloggers the new citizen journalist? When you refer to yourself and your writings to others, how do you generally refer to yourself?

Finally, what is the main difference to you between a journalist and a blogger? Does one carry more weight than another? Does one have more power or influence over another with the general public?

I read a quote recently on The Guardian that states, “The issue was raised in a titanic rant by Dan Lyons, technology editor for Newsweek and now for Tina Brown’s Daily Beast website. He accused the latest breed of bloggers-turned-journalists – who have, in turn, morphed into venture capitalists – of basically reinventing PR, and dressing it up as journalism.”

Thoughts?

Michelle Maskaly
      @michellemaskaly

Oh, this is a subject very close to me — and one that I still don’t know 100 percent how I feel about. A little background for those who don’t know. I have a degree in journalism and was a full-time journalist for 12 years before I got involved in social media. I still am a journalist, because I do freelance as well as my websites, and when people ask me what I do, that is what I tell them.

But, since I started writing My Tail Hurts From Wagging So Much and The Adirondack Chick, I get classified as a “blogger” many times, and don’t get treated the same as when people called me a “journalist.” It does irk me a little, because I spent a lot of money for a degree in this craft, worked my way up a number of news organizations, skipped holidays, vacations, birthday parties and worked my tail (pun intended) off to be a professional writer.  On the other hand, I get a lot more writing opportunities as a “blogger,” because they don’t think I will be as tough on them if I say I’m a journalist. 

I think it’s a fine line that depends on a number of factors. 

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

I consider myself to be a blogger first and a freelance “writer” (not journalist) second.

Bloggers are definitely the new “citizen journalists” but they don’t necessarily write in a traditional journalistic “style”

Journalists still absolutely carry more weight with the general public. Much of the general public doesn’t have a clear idea of what “blogging” is.

Traditional “blogs” when they first started were meant to be more “thoughts” being logged than traditional journalistic articles. A more in depth diary per se. They evolved into much more.

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

I’m a writer. I write different things at times as a novelist or journalist or columnist or editorialist. But “writer” is my job.

A journalist is a reporter of facts and, one hopes, offers a balanced view of the topic covered.

A columnist also can do this but more often than not the column has more of the writer’s voice and opinions.

For me, the word “journalist” is more a descriptive of the purpose of a given written piece, and not my job.

I’m a writer who wears many hats. I’ve been a journalist, a columnist, an author, and now also a blogger. I suspect that for MOST bloggers, the closest descriptive would be “columnist” and for paid bloggers could even be categorized as a copywriter or advertorial writer.

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

I consider myself both. I think where the misconception comes in and the waters get blurry is in defining blogger. These days, ANYONE can blog. Not everyone can become a journalist. However, there are many bloggers I follow that have more credibility and interesting topics than pieces I read in newspapers, where more traditional journalists appear.

The face of blogging is changing, IMO. More credible bloggers are being established and showcasing their writing prowess and strengths. In addition, there are totally crappy journalists, as in any profession.

The info I believe @Kimberly refers to might be this piece from Forbes.

With a background in writing and degree in English, my forte and passion is writing, but my passions have evolved to include pet products, PR, social media, and so much more, part of that blogging. So for me it has become an all-encompassing umbrella.

I no longer trust everything a journalist writes, the same way that I do not trust everything every blogger writes. So the line gets a bit blurry for me. Credibility is credibility. Period. (for me at least).

I think definitions are changing and evolving as social media expands and continues to “find itself.” Anyone else?

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

@Amy – did you see where the Forbes piece quoted “To me, some bloggers are journalists and most are not”

I admire your writing and would be curious your thoughts.

Amy Shojai, CABC said:

I’m a writer. I write different things at times as a novelist or journalist or columnist or editorialist. But “writer” is my job.

A journalist is a reporter of facts and, one hopes, offers a balanced view of the topic covered.

A columnist also can do this but more often than not the column has more of the writer’s voice and opinions.

For me, the word “journalist” is more a descriptive of the purpose of a given written piece, and not my job.

I’m a writer who wears many hats. I’ve been a journalist, a columnist, an author, and now also a blogger. I suspect that for MOST bloggers, the closest descriptive would be “columnist” and for paid bloggers could even be categorized as a copywriter or advertorial writer.

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

Hey @Kimberly, curious what you mean: “I tried to write for a more legitimate online paper, but found the strictures too much for my writing style” – what is a more legitimate online paper? I am trying to determine and get views on blogging and how folks perceive them. Your feedback is appreciated!

Kimberly Gauthier said:

I refer to myself as a blogger, a writer, Editor in Chief, and owner of Keep the Tail Wagging.

Not a journalist.  An Oregon blogger was sued for libel in the past couple of years showing us that if we’re going to point a finger, we better have our facts straight and we have to be willing to give up our source.  We don’t have the same protections as journalists.

I don’t think I get the same respect as a journalist, because that’s not my background.  I do get a lot of respect as a blogger.  I tried to write for a more legitimate online paper, but found the strictures too much for my writing style; I love the freedom of flow that I get as a blogger.

I do believe that we’re the new “citizen journalists” as you noted and I love that phrasing.  I also believe that we have a quickly growing influence as more people are turning away from the nightly news and turning to the web for their news.  The nightly news has shown it’s self to be unbiased, wishy washy, and in it for the ratings.  It’s turning generations off during a time when the Internet is so easily accessible with computer, smart phones, and tablets.

We lost one of our local Seattle papers a few years ago; the other is still around and has been transitioning to an online publication.  I’m curious to know how long we’ll have papers.

Kimberly

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

Just read the article. I wouldn’t qualify since I don’t have a journalism degree, I suppose. The law is a weird critter and often doesn’t seem to use common sense or apply to the “real world.”

However, I have been granted media credentials every time I’ve requested them, although at times I did need to “prove” that I had an actual writing assignment. It’s a slippery slope. For bloggers (or any writer!) covering potentially litigious subjects, I think it’s best to err on the side of being extreeee keeerful.

Carol Bryant said:

@Amy – did you see where the Forbes piece quoted “To me, some bloggers are journalists and most are not”

Amy Shojai, CABC said:

CJ and My Favorite Pup Jasmine
      @myfavpupjasmine

This is an interesting discussion…

I would agree that some bloggers are journalists… and some are not.

I consider myself a blogger.  My Favorite Pup is simply about my life experiences with Jasmine- and the adventures we’ve had being on TV, commercials, and doing dog therapy.  (And what I’ve learned along the way.)

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

Indeed on the keerful 😉  Thanks @Amy.

Amy Shojai, CABC said:

Just read the article. I wouldn’t qualify since I don’t have a journalism degree, I suppose. The law is a weird critter and often doesn’t seem to use common sense or apply to the “real world.”

However, I have been granted media credentials every time I’ve requested them, although at times I did need to “prove” that I had an actual writing assignment. It’s a slippery slope. For bloggers (or any writer!) covering potentially litigious subjects, I think it’s best to err on the side of being extreeee keeerful.

Carol Bryant said:

Amy Shojai, CABC said:

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

agreed!

Carol Bryant said:

I consider myself both. I think where the misconception comes in and the waters get blurry is in defining blogger. These days, ANYONE can blog. Not everyone can become a journalist. However, there are many bloggers I follow that have more credibility and interesting topics than pieces I read in newspapers, where more traditional journalists appear.

The face of blogging is changing, IMO. More credible bloggers are being established and showcasing their writing prowess and strengths. In addition, there are totally crappy journalists, as in any profession.

The info I believe @Kimberly refers to might be this piece from Forbes.

With a background in writing and degree in English, my forte and passion is writing, but my passions have evolved to include pet products, PR, social media, and so much more, part of that blogging. So for me it has become an all-encompassing umbrella.

I no longer trust everything a journalist writes, the same way that I do not trust everything every blogger writes. So the line gets a bit blurry for me. Credibility is credibility. Period. (for me at least).

I think definitions are changing and evolving as social media expands and continues to “find itself.” Anyone else?

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

Okay, my turn. I consider myself a writer first who uses blogging as a platform to get my message out. Not a journalist by any means. My Master’s degree and almost 15 years teaching high school English back up another statement: I’m also a teacher. Within the broad definition of publisher, I think that all of us can safely say that, as women who blog, we self-publish.

I think we all agree that whatever we call ourselves, our individual mission(s) include writing/producing/embracing/supporting quality content on the web.

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

Self publish, yes. And that term as well has mixed connotations for many people. In some contests it used to be that for the work to be accepted as “published” it had to appear in a “professional” venue (print, online, paid, unpaid–but NOT the author’s personal site). Some of those rules have had to be amended to account for the many professional venues hosted/published/written by the individual. So the criteria to measure now also includes if the venue has advertising, # of followers, if the material is original vs re-purposed, etc.

Kathy H Porter said:

Okay, my turn. I consider myself a writer first who uses blogging as a platform to get my message out. Not a journalist by any means. My Master’s degree and almost 15 years teaching high school English back up another statement: I’m also a teacher. Within the broad definition of publisher, I think that all of us can safely say that, as women who blog, we self-publish.

I think we all agree that whatever we call ourselves, our individual mission(s) include writing/producing/embracing/supporting quality content on the web.

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

Well said, Amy. Very “mixed connotations” as I’m finding out. I’m a “purist” in the sense that I firmly believe that original content trumps “re -purposed content” every time.

Amy Shojai, CABC said:

Self publish, yes. And that term as well has mixed connotations for many people. In some contests it used to be that for the work to be accepted as “published” it had to appear in a “professional” venue (print, online, paid, unpaid–but NOT the author’s personal site). Some of those rules have had to be amended to account for the many professional venues hosted/published/written by the individual. So the criteria to measure now also includes if the venue has advertising, # of followers, if the material is original vs re-purposed, etc.

Kathy H Porter said:

Cats & Co (Dianda)
      @dlvangunst

A blogger, nothing more.

BJ
      Participant
      @bjbangs

Very interesting. I have a degree in journalism, have worked on newspapers of all types, and also as a public relations manager for a nonprofit. I would say, yes, there is a big difference between bloggers and journalists and public relations professionals.The ethics for journalists are clear-cut, interviews, sources, quotes – although some online content can be used as background. The same for public relations – fact, sources, interviews, quotes, but only presenting the product or organization as a great place to do business or support. There’s a whole science in how to use messaging and branding to accomplish this.

For bloggers the rules are  not clear-cut. I try to approach my blog as a journalist, but will insert a story about one of my cat, an organization, etc., as an example to illustrate my point. To me, blogging blurs the lines – sharing credible information, a little promotion of products and books, a little humor through photos or videos, and a little of myself thrown in to boot. Actually, the whole intent of my blog is to become recognized as a credible cat writer. I keep that in mind with every blog that I post.

For what it’s worth, I think bloggers need to be careful that they maintain many of the ethics of journalism. To me, which one carries more weight – news stories. But as journalism gets more entwined with ratings, that may change.

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

Interesting @BJ. I do journalism, blogging, and PR and social media, too. Ethics is key. As bloggers have become a more trusted and go-to resource for information, ethics does come into play big time.

Aimee
      Participant
      @aimeeroo

I call myself a blogger. I don’t break stories, usually if I am reporting any news it is from a source other than myself, so I wouldn’t classify myself as a journalist in the traditional sense of the word. 🙂

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

Does anyone think the role of bloggers is changing? We are trusted valuable resources and as such, our words count to pet parents, brands, and more.

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

Not sure about this one, Carol. I think it goes back to each blogger’s reason for blogging – I do think that people’s awareness of the existence of bloggers had definitely changed.

Carol Bryant said:

Does anyone think the role of bloggers is changing? We are trusted valuable resources and as such, our words count to pet parents, brands, and more.

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

@Kathy Awareness has changed and I am seeing more and more brands relying on pet bloggers…. we are their force and their voice.

Jodi
      Participant
      @kolchakpuggle

I am definitely a blogger or writer, not a journalist. I think how you see yourself probably has a lot to do with how your site is presented and what type of posts/articles you’re sharing. My work is written in the first person (or my dog’s fictional first person), based on personal experience and never presented in a unbiased way. If I share “news” it’s to share my opinion, thoughts and ideas on it, not necessarily to share the news itself. I wouldn’t hesitate to define myself as “media” though. Journalism and media coverage aren’t the same thing to me.

I do think that blogging has reinvented PR. I’m far more likely to trust a few blogger reviews of a product, than I am to trust as ad placed in a newspaper. I think people like to hear what “real people” have to say about products, services and experiences. I know on an intellectual level that journalists are “real people” as well, but I don’t have the same connection with them that I have with the many bloggers who have invited me into their every day life through their blog. I can see why the mainstream media may see that as a negative change, but as a consumer, I do see it as a positive one.

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

Interesting feedback, @Jodi. I was just admitted to ASJA and I apply the same standards to my blogging as I do my writing for publication. However, I might be more cutesy or dog-talk style with some blog posts that merit such.

Interestingly, mainstream media has blogs, too. So it’s all a changing landscape IMO.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Jodi your answer was SUPERB and you summed up my feelings exactly. I couldn’t agree more.

Jodi Chick said:

I am definitely a blogger or writer, not a journalist. I think how you see yourself probably has a lot to do with how your site is presented and what type of posts/articles you’re sharing. My work is written in the first person (or my dog’s fictional first person), based on personal experience and never presented in a unbiased way. If I share “news” it’s to share my opinion, thoughts and ideas on it, not necessarily to share the news itself. I wouldn’t hesitate to define myself as “media” though. Journalism and media coverage aren’t the same thing to me.

I do think that blogging has reinvented PR. I’m far more likely to trust a few blogger reviews of a product, than I am to trust as ad placed in a newspaper. I think people like to hear what “real people” have to say about products, services and experiences. I know on an intellectual level that journalists are “real people” as well, but I don’t have the same connection with them that I have with the many bloggers who have invited me into their every day life through their blog. I can see why the mainstream media may see that as a negative change, but as a consumer, I do see it as a positive one.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

@Carol absolutely! Jodi summed up my feelings to a tee above!

Carol Bryant said:

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Aimee I feel exactly the same

Aimee Gertsch said:

I call myself a blogger. I don’t break stories, usually if I am reporting any news it is from a source other than myself, so I wouldn’t classify myself as a journalist in the traditional sense of the word. 🙂

Vicki Cook
      @vickicook58

I refer to myself as a blogger first and a freelance writer second. I stumbled into blogging through my experiences in social media (Twitter and Facebook). At first it was just a lark, but then I really became committed to it. After I started writing for Examiner.com, I add the freelance writer handle. I do not refer to myself as a journalist because I have no formal training in journalism, but I do try to present the facts in a fair and accurate manner. 

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

So now my creative juices are stirred. What would be the title be for a journalist that also blogs? A lot of them use pseudonyms, too.

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

We can have some fun with this…I’ll jump in later when my creative juices are flowing….!

Carol Bryant said:

So now my creative juices are stirred. What would be the title be for a journalist that also blogs? A lot of them use pseudonyms, too.

Kia
      Participant
      @comewagalong

I’d say I’m a blogger.  I just like to share what’s going on with Simba and information that I find interesting 🙂

Dominique Foreman
      @foreman_dominique

Great topic for discussion! I loved reading through everyone’s responses.

I definitely consider myself a blogger, as my site is a personal reflection of my dog’s life, what he believes in, and what he thinks. Even when we discuss items in the news, they have a personal impact instead of the straight facts that a journalist would give.

When it comes to products, reviews, and ideas, I think that the bloggers are starting to carry more weight with the modern reader than the typical journalist. As Jodi said, people tend to rely more on what their “friends” or the people who they interact with on a daily/weekly basis think than what a company is trying to portray! More often than not, I visit my favorite blogs looking for product reviews before I purchase an important/expensive item for Freckles! Thus, from Carol’s question, I do believe that the role of bloggers is changing for the better or more powerful!

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.