Home Forums Blog Talk OMG…Facebook help!!

21 replies, 9 voices Last updated by Jessica/YDWWYW/PetTalkMedia 11 years, 1 month ago
Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author

Jessica/YDWWYW/PetTalkMedia
      Participant
      @adventurejess

I am totally freaked out. This has never happened to me.

I was automatically logged out of Facebook today and got this message when I tried to log back in:

Your account has been temporarily suspended

Suspicious activity has been detected on your Facebook account and it has been temporarily suspended as a security precaution. It is likely that your account was compromised as a result of entering your password on a website designed to look like Facebook. This type of attack is known as phishing.
      I was then asked to verify my identity by naming some people in photos they showed me. I was then asked to create a new password.
      I was suspicious so I did and internet search and this seems legitimate (it is addressed directly on a facebook help page). However, when I created a new password I got the same message.
      I am scared that I will lose access to my account for good. I have worked hard over the years and have over 2,500 fans. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
      Thanks.

Participant
      @adventurejess

Whew! Ok. I held my breath and did this process again. It looks I have been let back in and everything looks the same as before.

It would have made me sick to lose all of my hard work and fans. I guess this is just a reminder that Facebook could yank your access at any moment, for any reason.

Trina Cooper
      Participant
      @maggie1

I had the same problem and I was attacked by some phishing agent? person? evil? Who started added bogus fans to my site. I tried contacting Facebook (not an east thing to do) and then before getting back to me the cut off my Facebook page. It took two weeks to explain that I was attacked and then they re-instated my page. However my views went way down for about 3-4 months and now they are slowing coming back up.

So glad you got your page back. It is scary and you never know if it is going to happen. Did Facebook ever tell you the bogus site that stole your password?

Participant
      @adventurejess

Yikes! I hope that doesn’t happen….but I know who to ask if it does 🙂 Glad it worked out for you.

I don’t know who got to my site. I have seen a recent increase…a few but more than usual….of foreign commenters. No rise in bogus looking likes though. Hopefully changing my password fixed it.

Sue at For Love of a Dog
      Participant
      @sue3

Wow!  Really frightening!  (Knock wood) this has never happened to me and I hope it never does.  So glad all seems to be well with your page.

Kathy H Porter
      @ms.khporter

This has happened to me too, with a slightly different twist. I was checking all of the links on my “about” page, clicked on the link to my blog and got the same message that you did – account suspended – someone had reported me for spam or some such thing.” Without any “oh by the way, guess what we’re going to do,” Facebook deleted ALL of the posts on my wall – going back well over a year – that were my blog posts. Every single one. It took me four-five days to figure this out – if a friend of mine hadn’t given me the link to the Facebook page of a guy who works for Facebook so that I could privately email him, I don’t think I would have ever resolved this. And even after I emailed this guy – I never heard back from him directly – Two days after I sent him that email, “poof!” Someone at Facebook flipped the switch and all of those posts magically reappeared. Thus my mantra, “build YOUR list.” With that many fans, you may want to think about how to carefully drive them over to opting in to your blog….It’s really scary when you see all of your hard work disappear….

Peggy Mundell/DogBreedz.net
      @dogbreedz

I just received an email from the publisher running the virtural book tour for Dogma.  According to her, there is a rafflecopter/facebook connection that is getting accounts temp. suspended and she is allowing us to opt out from the facebook link on the upcoming giveaway.  I don’t know if this is helpful to know (or the validity of it, even tho the source is reliable) so I immediately opted OUT.

Participant
      @adventurejess

Hmmmm…..food for thought Kathy. Peggy – I have not seen the dogma contest but did recently enter another one using Rafflecopter. I will stick with using my email for those I guess. I might look into it more too. Thanks for the tip.

Peggy Mundell/DogBreedz.net
      @dogbreedz

Just to clarify:  the Dogma info wasn’t for those *entering* the contest, but for those facebooks that offer extra entries to the contest.  The Dogma giveaway doesn’t happen until later this month, but the publisher/PR person is hearing a lot of stories like yours and somehow that connection was made.  As in “like XYZ’s facebook page for another 3 entries”.  That sort of thing.  Good luck!!

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

Very frightening.

Participant
      @adventurejess

Thanks Peggy

Trina Cooper
      Participant
      @maggie1

wow…good to know!

Participant
      @adventurejess

@Mary – I have connected and shared on FB with Rafflecopter many times before. This is the first time it may be a problem for me.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

I would have DIED! Thank goodness all is ok!

Participant
      @adventurejess

@Mary – It wouldn’t hurt to change yours just in case. After they ran me through the are-you-really-who-you-say-you-are? gauntlet they made me change my password (which I would have done anyway).

@Caren – I was REALLY nervous! I googled the problem when I got the notice to make sure that was not a scam in itself. The top searches all pointed me to the FB help forums and they stated this warning word for word and explained why they do it (because your account may have been compromised…no details beyond that)

Jen | DOGthusiast&FoundPixel.com
      Participant
      @kidderton

That’s good to know about Rafflecopter. I used it for my first (and only) giveaway so far, and made a Facebook “like” one of the required options, and folks entered but the likes never went through. Although I’m sure people would like/unlike, I wouldn’t have thought it’d be at 95% (only one new like ever occurred). The rest of the entry process went very well (Twitter, etc). 

I was a little suspicious of Facebook allowing it, given that they outlaw a lot of contest activities like those. It doesn’t seem worth the hassle unless I’m the only one not seeing great results from it. Especially not if they end up suspending accounts, for the contest issue or an algorithm suspecting your account has been compromised due to the Rafflecopter activity.

Sue at For Love of a Dog
      Participant
      @sue3

I’ve never required a FB like in a Rafflecopter giveaway, but I have used that as an “extra” way to enter.  Guess I won’t be doing that in the future!  Not worth the worry.  So glad you shared your experience, Jessica.

Participant
      @adventurejess

@Jen – I have been using the Rafflecopter widget for over a year with no problems. I am not positive that is what caused my problem this time. It makes sense though, especially considering FB is changing things around again. As for contests, it is my understanding that the FB restrictions are on running contests directly from the page. Using third-party applications like Rafflecopter are permissible.

Participant
      @adventurejess

I heard they were going to do that but didn’t quite get whether you still need to go through a 3rd party. They will probably be happy to let you do it for a fee 🙂

Mary Hone said:

Just as an FYI on facebook. One of the things I read about all the new changes…again… is they are going to allow contests. Facebook will probably want to run them…..

Jen | DOGthusiast&FoundPixel.com
      Participant
      @kidderton

It’s so tough to keep up with the FB changes (between that and privacy… wow). Maybe it’s best to leave them out when using Rafflecopter, and focus on separate FB managed/guided activities for Page stuff….

Dawn
      Participant
      @petproductreview

That’s interesting about Rafflecopter. I heard about someone’s FB account that was closed, but what I last read was they thought it was due to her promoting contests and giveaways on her FB page. She had a deal/contest blog. She did use Rafflecopter, but it was assumed that wasn’t the problem because there was suppose to be an agreement between Rafflecopter and FB.

Participant
      @adventurejess

They may change the policy but, yes, your FB can be shut down if you break their contest rules by promoting directly on your page (like those contests that direct you to a FB album to vote for your favorite photo).

To be clear, I wasn’t actually blocked out of my account….as in I wasn’t going to have access…..I just had to jump through some hoops to prove that it was in fact my page I was trying to access. Like I said, that has never happened to me before so I was a little freaked out.

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.