Home Forums Blog Talk Reddit.com Question

4 replies, 3 voices Last updated by Lauren Smith 11 years, 6 months ago
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Lauren Smith
      @laceysbarkery

Does anyone post their blog posts to reddit.com? I heard its a really good place to get new people.

The problem I am having with it is the 2 main subreddit categories that make the most sense for me to post my articles to don’t allow blog links (pets and dogs).  

Anybody know a good subreddit to post dog health, safety, and general dog information articles to that might attract new people to my blog or any tips I would be very grateful.

cd mclean
      @mcleacd

I tried posting to reddit, but it really seems like you have to lurk there for quite a long time to figure out the culture and then you can post.  Frankly, I couldn’t figure it out at all.  I posted a couple of blog posts, but it did nothing, and the photo posts did nothing either.  I’m sure it is because I didn’t understand what I am doing there.  It really seemed like an alien subculture.  If someone could explain it, I would love to figure it out!  They seem to have a very large user group of lab and dog lovers!

Cheryl and Coach.

CompanionAnimalPsychology Blog
      @redwingwinter

I haven’t really figured it out either. But if your content is factual, you could try the ‘Today I learned’ section. You would have to use old blog posts for it since any sources have to be at least 2 months old.

CompanionAnimalPsychology Blog
      @redwingwinter

I’ve come back to update this because as it happens, someone (not me) posted a link to my blog on the science subreddit the other day. I had written about some peer-reviewed research that is still new, and posted it on the Research Blogging site as well (a catalog of blog posts that are about research). The science subreddit brought a steady stream of hits and when I logged in and saw, the link had moved up to the front page of reddit, where it stayed for a brief time. 57,000 hits in a 24 hour period. Wow.

Obviously I’m delighted and thrilled that it got people interested. I think you need a bit of a thick skin because by definition, on reddit some people will vote you down as well as up (and after all that’s how new things get to appear).

Anyway Lauren, if any of your posts reference peer-reviewed science you could give it a try. Apparently you are allowed to post your own blog posts to that subreddit, so long as you also post other stuff too.

I don’t know how many of these people will come back to my blog – you’ll have to ask me next week to see!

Lauren Smith
      @laceysbarkery

That’s quite amazing that many hits!! I don’t think any of my posts qualify for that category but I will take a look. 

Thanks for the reply

CompanionAnimalPsychology Blog said:

I’ve come back to update this because as it happens, someone (not me) posted a link to my blog on the science subreddit the other day. I had written about some peer-reviewed research that is still new, and posted it on the Research Blogging site as well (a catalog of blog posts that are about research). The science subreddit brought a steady stream of hits and when I logged in and saw, the link had moved up to the front page of reddit, where it stayed for a brief time. 57,000 hits in a 24 hour period. Wow.

Obviously I’m delighted and thrilled that it got people interested. I think you need a bit of a thick skin because by definition, on reddit some people will vote you down as well as up (and after all that’s how new things get to appear).

Anyway Lauren, if any of your posts reference peer-reviewed science you could give it a try. Apparently you are allowed to post your own blog posts to that subreddit, so long as you also post other stuff too.

I don’t know how many of these people will come back to my blog – you’ll have to ask me next week to see!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.