Home Forums Newbies – Welcome and Intro Source for pictures

30 replies, 18 voices Last updated by Shechosethecat 7 years, 7 months ago
Viewing 30 reply threads
  • Author

Dr. Anna M. Coffin
      Participant
      @ACoffin

Where does everyone get their pictures for their blog and social media?  I know there are sites on-line but most you have to pay for.

BoingyDog
      @fun

I use foter.com and I love it. It’s especially great for bloggers since most of the use restrictions have to do with selling or editing beyond basic cropping. They have a lot of photos to choose from since most people just link foter with their photo storage pages. They also show you how many have been downloaded so you can see how likely it is that someone else is using the same photo – most that I use have never been downloaded before. Also, because people are allowing use of their personal photos, to me they have a little more life – stock photos have a very distinct look and are easy to identify. This gives a little added flavor.

Carrie Cassidy
      @carrie2

I second the Foter suggestion.

If you use wordpress, search for the Free Stock Photos Foter plug in. It’s my secret weapon. Access to over 180 million free pics. You can search and insert photos complete with credits already in place right into your post as you write it. It rocks!

Another favorite source of mine is the Morgue File. The name is a bid morbid, but there’s some great professional quality photos available at no cost.

Between the two, you should be able to find some great pics. Good luck!

BoingyDog
      @fun

Wow! I didn’t know they had a WP plugin! I’m a little maxed out on plugins but let’s see if I can get rid of one and get that one instead! ;0)

Carrie Cassidy said:

If you use wordpress, search for the Free Stock Photos Foter plug in. It’s my secret weapon. Access to over 180 million free pics. You can search and insert photos complete with credits already in place right into your post as you write it. It rocks!

Another favorite source of mine is the Morgue File. The name is a bid morbid, but there’s some great professional quality photos available at no cost.

Dr. Anna M. Coffin
      Participant
      @ACoffin

Thanks for the suggestion.  I’m pretty new to blogging and use the free WordPress.com.  Can I use plug ins and if so can you describe how I go about doing that?

Carrie Cassidy said:

Dr. Anna M. Coffin
      Participant
      @ACoffin

Thanks for the tip.  I will check it out!  Have not been using pictures but think it helps get noticed.  Any other tips on how to use pictures?

BoingyDog said:

I use foter.com and I love it. It’s especially great for bloggers since most of the use restrictions have to do with selling or editing beyond basic cropping. They have a lot of photos to choose from since most people just link foter with their photo storage pages. They also show you how many have been downloaded so you can see how likely it is that someone else is using the same photo – most that I use have never been downloaded before. Also, because people are allowing use of their personal photos, to me they have a little more life – stock photos have a very distinct look and are easy to identify. This gives a little added flavor.

Carrie Cassidy
      @carrie2

Here’s a link to the step by step for getting images into your blog using the free wordpress.com.

http://en.support.wordpress.com/images/

The plug in I mentioned, and plug ins in general are not available on the wordpress.com site. They are available for downloading and use by self hosted WordPress sites.

I highly recommend using photos. It ads so much to your posts, and it’s less intimidating for many readers than a straight block of text.

If I can ever be of any help please don’t hesitate to get in touch, and if I don’t know the answer, I can steer you in the right direction. Welcome to Blog Paws and thanks for the friend request.

Dr. Anna M. Coffin said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I’m pretty new to blogging and use the free WordPress.com.  Can I use plug ins and if so can you describe how I go about doing that?

Carrie Cassidy said:

Ann
      Participant
      @annstaub

I use Flickr. I used to use Foter, but then discovered that Foter just uses the photos off of Flickr as far as I could tell so I decided to go straight to the source. 

Just go to Flickr and search for the type of images you want. When the search results show up, there is an option to do an “Advanced Search” under the search box – click that. 

At the very bottom of the advanced search options, click the boxes that say  “Only search for Creative-commons licensed content” and “find content to use commercially”.

Then I cite the photo on my blog typically saying something like “Photo via ‘flickrusersname here” with a link to the photo.

Just make sure you’re using photos that are safe to use commercially if your blog is monetized or you plan for it to be monetized in the future. 

I also like Morguefile.com for free photos. One thing I like about the pictures there is that they require no attribution. 

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

I take my own. I carry a camera or cell with me everywhere. Over the years I’ve collected thousands of pics.

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

Also, good idea to migrate to .org of WordPress if you ever plan to monetize and want control of your own domain. 😉

Ann
      Participant
      @annstaub

I wish I had such a large collection like you Carol! I’m also trying to improve my photography skills 🙂 It’s also not easy for me to find pictures of some of the exotic pets out there I write about because I just don’t have access to them right now. 🙁 I also can’t use that WordPress plugin because I’m not on WP, but it sounds pretty handy!

Dr. Anna M. Coffin
      Participant
      @ACoffin

Thanks for the tip and specific directions.

Ann Staub said:

I use Flickr. I used to use Foter, but then discovered that Foter just uses the photos off of Flickr as far as I could tell so I decided to go straight to the source. 

Just go to Flickr and search for the type of images you want. When the search results show up, there is an option to do an “Advanced Search” under the search box – click that. 

At the very bottom of the advanced search options, click the boxes that say  “Only search for Creative-commons licensed content” and “find content to use commercially”.

Then I cite the photo on my blog typically saying something like “Photo via ‘flickrusersname here” with a link to the photo.

Just make sure you’re using photos that are safe to use commercially if your blog is monetized or you plan for it to be monetized in the future. 

I also like Morguefile.com for free photos. One thing I like about the pictures there is that they require no attribution. 

Kelley Caton
      @jaxdogmom

I like to use as many of my own photos as possible. I have an Android phone and use Blogger. Since both are Google based I can import the pictures easy peasy! 

Dr. Anna M. Coffin
      Participant
      @ACoffin

Do you use a plug in for the photos or just copy and paste them into the post?
       Dr. Anna M. Coffin said:

Thanks for the tip and specific directions.

Ann Staub said:

Dr. Anna M. Coffin
      Participant
      @ACoffin

Can you give specific details on how to get the photo into the blog from Flicker?

Ann
      Participant
      @annstaub

I’m a Blogger person with only some WP experience so I don’t know of any plugins for it. I just save the photos to my computer and then add them to the posts. 

Dr. Anna M. Coffin said:

Can you give specific details on how to get the photo into the blog from Flicker?

Dr. Anna M. Coffin
      Participant
      @ACoffin

I got it!  Thanks!

Ann
      Participant
      @annstaub

Sure 🙂

Machete Corgéz
      @machetecorgez

I guess depends on what, for the most part, I take the pictures myself.

Michelle D.
      Participant
      @dragonrain

I try to use my own pictures as often as possible.

When I don’t have anything of my own to use, I usually check out Wikimedia Commons first.

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

Im with you on that, Kelley 😉

Kelley Caton said:

I like to use as many of my own photos as possible. I have an Android phone and use Blogger. Since both are Google based I can import the pictures easy peasy! 

Rachel
      Participant
      @mykidhaspawsblog

I know this is super late, but there is http://www.canva.com and they have a lot of $1 stock photos and ways to enhance your photos as well, especially for posting on social media.

Sue Koranki
      @contact11

What great info 🙂  I love foter and morguefile. I’ve always used fotolia.com if I’ve needed to get stock photos but it can get expensive.

A lot of the pics I use are submitted by site visitors, or are of our own dogs, but it’s impossible to get anywhere like enough for a website with hundreds of pages that way.

My daughter just got a really good digital camera, so as soon as the University semester is over I think I’m going to borrow it and follow Carol’s lead. Thanks everyone.

Lisa
      Participant
      @lisa14

This has some good suggestions  http://designyourownblog.com/blog-design-resources/the-big-guide-to-free-images-for-your-blog-posts-part-2-creative-commons/

Lori Waters
      @Lori4

For my blogs and especially pinterest images I like to use hi-res images and these are some of the sites I use:

– http://unsplash.com/

– http://picjumbo.com/

– http://gratisography.com/

– http://littlevisuals.co/

Hope these help!

Lori 

Debie Pettry
      @nirvanadog

For DIY tips I take my own , I prefer a personal touch. And I want to provide a photo never before seen. For political commentary regarding hot topic subjects on dogs it depends on what is appropriate.

Jason
      Participant
      @Jason

Some great tips been talked about here already. I have used istock and depositphotos as they are quite cheap really considering the quality of some of the pictures, but like others have said, I’m going to try and do more myself.

Sally Baughman
      @sallybbaughman

Consider going to a local “photography club” in your area. You may find folks who love taking pictures of animals, yet don’t have a place to post them. At xcDogs.com we have shared photos from a photographer who loves her local dog park for photo inspiration, and we give her credit on the photos. As a startup, I look for helping others out, and making certain the less visible people out there with great work get opportunities to shine. 

~Sally @ xcDOGS 

Bestpettips
      @info8

Mainly I use Pixabay.com , freepik.com etc… I got a good suggeston from this post as foter.com Thanks… 

Cecilia Andes
      @cecilia

I have filled up a massive hard drive and backup with cat pics. If I ever need one, I have tons of my own stock to choose from.

Shechosethecat
      @shechosethecat2015

Thanks for the suggestion friends.

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.