Home Forums Blog Talk When Brands Refuse to Pay

1 reply, 9 voices Last updated by Caren 10 years, 7 months ago
Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author

Aimee
      Participant
      @aimeebeltran

Hi there! I’m sure there’s something about this within the community but I searched and couldn’t find anything. 

I had a PR rep for a pretty large brand pitch me about writing an article on my blog. So, I did my typical “re-pitch” where I explain my services and offered him the opportunity to do a sponsored post. He wrote me back and told me he wasn’t looking for a sponsored post but wanted to post a free “informational” post! I was beside myself. This brand obviously was interested in my site for a reason and wanted to use it as a tool to market their product. That’s advertising and it’s not free! 

A lot of the pitches I get from PR reps are worded to make it sound like they are doing me a favor and I think a lot of bloggers (especially newbies) get taken advantage of. This isn’t just a blog . . . it’s a business! 

Has anyone else ever received this response from a brand and how did you handle it? 

-Aimee

Jessica
      Participant
      @Beaglesandbargains

I get a couple of these a month. I haven’t quite figured out how to spin it to my benefit (or a win win situation) and I don’t like feeling pressured into doing things, so I usually end up just ignoring them. I’m sure there are better ways to handle it though!

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

I’m sure this PR rep doesn’t do the work for free. *s* I’ve had to gently explain that while I may occasionally post for a nonprofit cause that I believe in, that I can’t fund my blog expenses (or house payments) with gift cards or goodwill, and thank you for understanding.

Yvonne
      Participant
      @yvonne1

This is common. The answer is to never work for free. Unfortunately, too many bloggers DO work for free, hoping their work will turn into paid gigs. But, why would a brand pay for something you have already shown you will do for free? Aimee, we get pitches like this every day – asking to work with our bloggers. We respond with a question about budget and… generally get the answer you got – “hey, we’re giving you free content”… as if we can’t all find free content on our own.

Stick to your guns. Remain strong. The paid gigs will come. If we show brands that the BEST bloggers expect to get paid…because, hey, your time and effort is worth it…and without payment, you wouldn’t have a blog for them to pitch to… they will be left with the free bloggers who don’t have the influence you do. 

Yvonne

Aimee
      Participant
      @aimeebeltran

My thoughts exactly! I think some of these reps think that we are blogging as a hobby and don’t see it as a viable business. I don’t have time to work for free when there are lots of other awesome brands that want a partnership! 

Amy Shojai, CABC said:

I’m sure this PR rep doesn’t do the work for free. *s* I’ve had to gently explain that while I may occasionally post for a nonprofit cause that I believe in, that I can’t fund my blog expenses (or house payments) with gift cards or goodwill, and thank you for understanding.

Aimee
      Participant
      @aimeebeltran

I always reply even if I don’t like the product they are promoting. I gently explain that it’s not a good fit but thank them for thinking of me. I get a lot of those pitches where they don’t even mention the product in the first pitch. That always strikes me as shady! 

Jessica Shipman said:

I get a couple of these a month. I haven’t quite figured out how to spin it to my benefit (or a win win situation) and I don’t like feeling pressured into doing things, so I usually end up just ignoring them. I’m sure there are better ways to handle it though!

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

Exactly! This is nothing new. For many years, publishing venues expected writers (and now bloggers) to be “honored” to have their work published, and we were told it helped build our platform. Well ya know, if someone approaches a blogger, it’s because they believe you already have the reach/platform!

That said, there are more ways to be paid than just $$ so you may wish to take into account other issues.  But value yourself, your time, your expertise first or nobody else will.

Yvonne DiVita said:

This is common. The answer is to never work for free.

Jodi
      Participant
      @kolchakpuggle

I usually reply back that while I have a lot of respect for the brand and their product (where applicable), it is our policy that all posts linking to a business are treated as a sponsored post and billed accordingly.

I also tend to share a bit of my personal experience. While I know there are many bloggers that accept posts for free, on my blog these types of posts really fall flat with my readers. They usually receive minimal comments, little or no social shares and the traffic is dismal. I feel that accepting them is doing a disservice to both my readers and the brand. I want to present us both in the best light and prefer to offer sponsored content that I have written myself, to ensure it match our blog’s tone, messaging and therefore, is custom tailored to my readers. Then I link to an example of a pre-written post I accepted that backs up this anecdote and to an example of the type of sponsored content I prefer to share, which was much more successful.

They don’t always go for it, but I figure if a brand doesn’t recognize that my audience’s attention is worth paying for, then I don’t want their content any way. I’m running a business, not a charity advertising outlet for affluent brands.

Christie
      Participant
      @czizo

Now what about reviews for free? I have a personal problem doing a paid review. I don’t mind getting the product, but in my mind that’s something different.

Christie

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

Agreed. Product reviews…as with book reviews…are tricky. There’s a perception that if you’re “paid” that the review is always skewed in favor of the product, whether true or not. On amazon.com last year a huge controversy blew up over suspicious reviews–some had been “bought” and yet the book had never been read.

For that reason I do very few reviews, even when folks send me products–and always explain that my review will be honest whether in their favor or not. I also include a disclaimer in any post that contains a review. Reviews aren’t particularly popular with my readers, either.

christie zizo said:

Now what about reviews for free? I have a personal problem doing a paid review. I don’t mind getting the product, but in my mind that’s something different.

Christie

Jodi
      Participant
      @kolchakpuggle

I handle reviews on a case to case basis. I would prefer not to charge, though for products under a certain value, I may charge an admin fee or request additional copies of the item for give away.

The reason that I do sometimes charge is that we are now doing reviews a little different than most. Our policy for this year is that if the only thing I can say about a product is that it’s great and my dogs loved it, I don’t want to review it. I don’t read the reviews on other blogs where it’s little more than a copy/paste of some info from the site and a few pictures of their dog, so why should I ask my readers to? The reviews I am now accepting are ones where I can use the product in one of my DIY Projects, in a recipe post or one of my humour posts and as these are more work than a standard review, I may charge for the additional time it takes. I am however charging for the TIME and not for the endorsement of the product. I’m never going to endorse a product I don’t like or didn’t find useful and I try to make that clear in my disclosure statement.

(As an example, I have a post coming up about building a dog friendly reading nook and I’ve included a book review in that post.)

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

Sounds like a great way to handle it. I don’t do give-aways very often, either. As you say, the administration of such things is a time suck that I just don’t want to deal with. *s* On the puppies.about.com site I’m not allowed to do give-aways, either. *shrug*

Jodi Chick said:

I handle reviews on a case to case basis. I would prefer not to charge, though for products under a certain value, I may charge an admin fee or request additional copies of the item for give away.

Yvonne
      Participant
      @yvonne1

Time is of the essence… and should be compensated for. Also, effort. I do think folks who continue to want blogger support – because it has influence – need to understand bloggers have integrity, too. Just like other freelance writers. Maybe more so – because the blogger’s readers are her bread and butter. If she isn’t authentic and honest, they will not trust her, so…she will lose her blog standing. 

Yv

Jodi Chick said:

The reason that I do sometimes charge is that we are now doing reviews a little different than most. Our policy for this year is that if the only thing I can say about a product is that it’s great and my dogs loved it, I don’t want to review it. I don’t read the reviews on other blogs where it’s little more than a copy/paste of some info from the site and a few pictures of their dog, so why should I ask my readers to? The reviews I am now accepting are ones where I can use the product in one of my DIY Projects, in a recipe post or one of my humour posts and as these are more work than a standard review, I may charge for the additional time it takes. I am however charging for the TIME and not for the endorsement of the product. I’m never going to endorse a product I don’t like or didn’t find useful and I try to make that clear in my disclosure statement.

(As an example, I have a post coming up about building a dog friendly reading nook and I’ve included a book review in that post.)

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

yep I just posted something in the community related to this last week 🙂

BoingyDog
      @fun

Wow! This is great reading responses from all of you experienced bloggers! I’ve done a few free posts on BoingyDog (worked on one today!), and basically everything is free on PawsTech Magazine but I think that’s the nature of that blog. But on the main blog I’m definitely learning (the hard way) exactly what you’ve all said—the time, research, effort that has to go into it and sometimes people don’t even say anything after the post is done. I’m not looking for praise or recognition, it just seems inconsiderate. I did turn down one company—I’m pretty sure they used a VA and they contacted me twice without even using my name. I’m not trying to be haughty but it just seemed so impersonal; and the fact that they contacted me a second time without even remembering the first time pissed me off a little bit. Getting paid as a blogger is completely new to me and I assumed that in the beginning that would be impossible. I’m learning to be more confident and to trust what I can do with my passion. I so appreciate this community and feel like I’m growing so much learning from all of you!

BoingyDog
      @fun

That’s a great point! Glad I’m learning this early on!

Kimberly Gauthier said:

When someone doesn’t use my name or they list my URL in the email instead of my blog name; then I treat them as spam.  In my experience, these are the ones who want to pay for follow links, which isn’t allowed.

Rebecca Braglio
      Participant
      @info145

Personally, I think it’s a mistake to always insist on getting paid.  For me, value can come in many different forms – not just cash.  But that’s me.  Sometimes it’s an “in” to a company or a person who I think can help me network, and you just never know what that can lead to.  If I had refused to post stuff just because I wasn’t offered money, I wouldn’t be where I am today.

I’m not saying bloggers don’t deserve to get paid – we absolutely do.  I’m just saying that I think every situation should be evaluated and that maybe it’s not the best idea to draw a bright line.

Yvonne
      Participant
      @yvonne1

Good point, Rebecca. However, the more often we do things for “in-kind” the more we devalue ourselves. In-kind, whatever it is, does not pay the light bill or put food on the table. To me, in-kind is most valuable when the brand is recognizing expertise and wants to form a relationship where payment will follow. OR… if a shelter is asking for help. If a brand or shelter is paying an agency,and wants free reviews… please. The money is there… pony up. I do a good bit of free book reviews on Lipsticking – because the books offered are worthwhile to my readers. And sometimes I get pitched a product that I so want to review, I review it for free. But, when a brand contacts me, or an agency wants coverage…for a brand, I have to ask: where is the money coming from to pitch me? Why am I not worth paying? Hmmm…. 

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

This. Yes. And for those with whom you ALREADY have a relationship, IMO it’s perfectly legitimate to make unique arrangements, as well.

Kimberly Gauthier said:

It doesn’t always have to be money, but the exchange, in my opinion, needs to make it worth our time, because our time and experience is valuable.  Brands and businesses are starting to see this too.

Yvonne
      Participant
      @yvonne1

I feel each blogger has to make their choices, free or not free… carefully. At this stage of the game, the reality is clear cut – many, many bloggers do their blog for more than the pleasure of writing it. They work hard at maintaining it, at improving it, and at learning about their core topic. This takes time, energy and sometimes cash, to attend events like BlogPaws, for instance. To assume these writers will cover your product for free is … in my brazen opinion (why be humble?)… an insult.

I do think, however, smart, savvy PR folks, and good brands, recognize the value bloggers bring them and want to work with them on paid programs. That should be cash, for the most part… but it could be cash, compensation for events or seminars, and/or free product. I assure you, writers for major magazines DO NOT accept free product in payment. And yes, many talented bloggers are the equivalent of freelance writers, today. 

Be proud of your work and evaluate your options, when being pitched. To the opportunity to gain more traffic to your blog… I am skeptical of that. I have worked with some BIG groups thinking my connection to them would drive traffic to my blog. Nada. Nothing. Zero. I have yet to see the benefit I’d hoped for. But, they get tons of free, great content from me. Sigh.

Jodi
      Participant
      @kolchakpuggle

Rebecca makes a great point. I would be lying if I said I had never done something because I believed the exposure was worth it or because I wanted to build a relationship with a brand. Those relationships can be wildly beneficial, if both parties are coming to the table with value.

That being said, those opportunities seem to come very few and far between. Most of the brands that I’ve received “free post” proposals from just aren’t in that head space yet. The brands that want to work with you long term, tend to approach with a different tone & tactic, at least at Kol’s Notes.

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

Here’s an experience I’ve had a couple of times. Companies that at one time PAID me to blog for them (for several months and paid very well) decided to stop the blogs. Okay, that’s fine–didn’t benefit them enough, I get it, no harm no foul.

But now I get pitches from them asking me to promote their products and website for free. Uhm…folks, you PAID me to blog for you and now I’m supposed to do promote you for free? Do they even understand how this makes them look? Another company has asked another blogger to interview me/answer questions that get turned into a blog with that person’s byline (doubt if that blogger is getting paid). It’s a very small community. That sorta-kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth toward those companies.

Yvonne
      Participant
      @yvonne1

And there you have it. Until we, the blogger community, take ourselves seriously… we can’t expect brands to take us seriously. There are times for support that is not compensated with cash… let’s drop the word “free”… and there are times when compensation should include more than free product.

While individual bloggers must make these choices on their own, every time we do something for free, we send the message that we are not equal to the professionals in our space who get paid. We should always ask to get paid. We should always present our position on being paid. And then, we can work out whatever compensation we feel is adequate for what we’re being asked. 

When one is paid for one’s expertise and time, it gives that person a sense of accomplishment and makes it easier to work for other compensation, when deemed okay. Each one of us must determine that but every “free” project WE do, influences the brand/agency mindset on what it should pay us. 

It’s a learning game, right now. The folks on this conversation are leaders in this space and we are setting the standard. Don’t forget that.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

*****STANDING OVATION****** for @Yvonne DiVita

Yvonne DiVita said:

And there you have it. Until we, the blogger community, take ourselves seriously… we can’t expect brands to take us seriously. There are times for support that is not compensated with cash… let’s drop the word “free”… and there are times when compensation should include more than free product.

While individual bloggers must make these choices on their own, every time we do something for free, we send the message that we are not equal to the professionals in our space who get paid. We should always ask to get paid. We should always present our position on being paid. And then, we can work out whatever compensation we feel is adequate for what we’re being asked. 

When one is paid for one’s expertise and time, it gives that person a sense of accomplishment and makes it easier to work for other compensation, when deemed okay. Each one of us must determine that but every “free” project WE do, influences the brand/agency mindset on what it should pay us. 

It’s a learning game, right now. The folks on this conversation are leaders in this space and we are setting the standard. Don’t forget that.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

I have to agree Rebecca, I don’t think that everything is black and white, there are definitely shades of gray (and I DON’T mean the book lol)….there are many things I have done for free that I absolutely do not regret doing

Rebecca Braglio said:

Personally, I think it’s a mistake to always insist on getting paid.  For me, value can come in many different forms – not just cash.  But that’s me.  Sometimes it’s an “in” to a company or a person who I think can help me network, and you just never know what that can lead to.  If I had refused to post stuff just because I wasn’t offered money, I wouldn’t be where I am today.

I’m not saying bloggers don’t deserve to get paid – we absolutely do.  I’m just saying that I think every situation should be evaluated and that maybe it’s not the best idea to draw a bright line.

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

Well I just politely turned down an invitation to work for free for a brand that I love…and have them donate funds to a worthy cause in exchange. See, that’s all well and good but I already donate to my own causes. That’s another carrot being used. How do I get to be one of the worthy causes? (being facetious). But really, that’s one twist that while good for the brand, it doesn’t help the blogger all that much other than in karma–yet takes time away from other endeavors that could pay the bills. *sigh* I need to stop reading this thread, bumming myself out.

Yvonne DiVita said:

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

@Kimberly, I do this, too, and have written a weekly newspaper column and twice monthly local TV appearances for years–for free. My post (re: donations) referred to the brand having chosen THEIR charity, and saying that by me promoting they will pay $1 for each tweet or X-amount per blog post or FB share, to THEIR chosen charity in THEIR name.

Yes, that’s well and good. The charity wins. But it’s not a local charity, my name isn’t attached in anyway, nor is my blog or FB or Twitter accounts boosted–only the brand and their chosen charity. How would you make that work to your benefit?

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

Yeah, I thought so, too–their “goal” is to give away $20,000 to the charity. Bless their furry lil’ hearts, I do hope they reach the goal but they could certainly donate without the strings instead of making it up to bloggers to spread brand messages for free. Yes, I’m getting even more miffed the more I think about this.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

I address it on a case-by-case basis.

Kimberly Gauthier said:

When it comes to PR professonionals who reach out ot us with press releases about products or limited samples to review – how do those of use who have monetized our blog respond?

Thanks!

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.