Home Forums Blog Talk Advice Please | A Brand Didn’t Hold Up Their End of Our Agreement

9 replies, 6 voices Last updated by Jessica 9 years, 1 month ago
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Kimberly Gauthier
      Participant
      @kimberlymgauthier

I’m learning why I need to start using contracts.

I had an email agreement with a brand to do a 6 month dog supplement update series on my blog.

What they provide:
      Dog health assessments on all of our dogs (they are nutritionists, not veterinarians)
      Dog supplement recommendations
      Monthly calls to discuss how the dogs are doing and follow up recommendations

What I provide:
      I paid for my own supplements (I had a feeling and didn’t want to feel any obligation)
      I wrote an introduction post
      I post 2x monthly with updates for 6 months

I’ve been trying to connect with the brand for 3 weeks with no response. I will call them today to find out if they are going to follow through, but they’ve been hit or miss through this process.

I am going to change the branding of this series to remove their name, but will be continuing the series, because it’s great content. One of my weaknesses is conflict. My question to you is, should I write a post explaining the change? I don’t want to bash the brand, but I also think my readers should know that they aren’t a reliable company to work with for dog health assessments.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Jessica
      Participant
      @Beaglesandbargains

What I would do (which is by no means necessarily correct) is try to contact them again. In the email or voice mail message, give them a deadline and explain whatever action you plan to take if they do not respond. I would also try to find an alternative method for contacting them – general email address on their website, contact form, Twitter, or even Facebook message. It is possible that your contact is out of office or no long with the company. I’ve had that happen to me before and it is super frustrating.

If the company really didn’t live up to their end and I felt some strong bad vibes, I would address it on my blog. I think you can do this without bashing the company by just explaining what happened and what changes you will make. But then again, I thrive on conflict and don’t have a problem telling people when I think they did something wrong.

On a similar note – I’m interested in what your thoughts are on the PetBox contract…

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

Have you received the agreed upon assessments, recommendations, monthly calls? Some of them?

Assuming you were to be paid for posts, too–if so, what percentage of that was received?

It was for 12 posts over 6 months…so how many have you done thus far? (what percentage?)

After trying to reach the brand, and if unsuccessful, I’d first send them a “cancellation” message, and advise them of your plan.

If it was me, I’d probably leave their name on the first posted blogs IF they did, indeed, follow through on agreement to that point. And for future ones, I’d simply make a brief (1-2 sentence) note at the top of the post to the effect: “Thanks to XYZ Company for the offer to sponsor this series; however, I’ve chosen to continue the remainder of the series independently.”

I don’t think it’s necessary to say why or call out the company.

Jessica
      Participant
      @Beaglesandbargains

Let us know how it goes. I know how frustrating it is when brands don’t follow through.

For PetBox, maybe we should start another thread? We also have one going in a Facebook group right now. I emailed back and forth with them yesterday.

Kimberly Gauthier said:

Thanks, Jessica

Great great advice.

And I emailed the PetBox people about the contract to ask if it’s still in place (so we can’t work with other subscription services) and I submitted ideas on how I can keep the momentum I’ve built going on my blog.  That was yesterday afternoon.  I’ll message you what I learn. I’m guessing that others here are Blog Ambassadors too so I don’t mind sharing here too.

Jessica Shipman said:

What I would do (which is by no means necessarily correct) is try to contact them again. In the email or voice mail message, give them a deadline and explain whatever action you plan to take if they do not respond. I would also try to find an alternative method for contacting them – general email address on their website, contact form, Twitter, or even Facebook message. It is possible that your contact is out of office or no long with the company. I’ve had that happen to me before and it is super frustrating.

If the company really didn’t live up to their end and I felt some strong bad vibes, I would address it on my blog. I think you can do this without bashing the company by just explaining what happened and what changes you will make. But then again, I thrive on conflict and don’t have a problem telling people when I think they did something wrong.

On a similar note – I’m interested in what your thoughts are on the PetBox contract…

Jen | DOGthusiast&FoundPixel.com
      Participant
      @kidderton

I’d also be interested in the PetBox thing.

Summer
      Participant
      @borderterriersruleOK

By contacting them in all the possible ways, you have done all you can do, and the fault rests on them entirely. You will not be bashing the brand by explaining what happened.

Aimee
      Participant
      @aimeebeltran

I just got an email about PetBox putting the ambassador program “on hold” for now. That was the first I’d heard of this! It also looks like maybe their team structure changed since the email came from a person I normally don’t deal with?

I’d love to see any other conversations you guys are having about it. 

Participant
      @kidderton

I’m pretty unimpressed given they canceled it right after contacting me and reading through all their stuff/discussion. If they’re going to cancel something, at least do it a few months out after your last back and forth, so it doesn’t completely waste the time of your influencers. Poor move from a community/marketing standpoint.  Then again, if things are shaking out poorly for them this thing would be pretty low on the priority pole.

Aimee
      Participant
      @aimeebeltran

I totally agree with ya! It’s not a good look for them! This really came out of the blue. Talk about BAM! haha

Jen | DOGthusiast&FoundPixel.com said:

I’m pretty unimpressed given they canceled it right after contacting me and reading through all their stuff/discussion. If they’re going to cancel something, at least do it a few months out after your last back and forth, so it doesn’t completely waste the time of your influencers. Poor move from a community/marketing standpoint.  Then again, if things are shaking out poorly for them this thing would be pretty low on the priority pole.

Participant
      @kidderton

No kidding!  Off topic-ish, I really do wonder how many of these “box” companies the subset of the pet market who would want random-ish product/afford one can sustain. 

Honestly if they do come back with a program there’s a minuscule chance I’ll do it. Not to mention the box marketing on IG is getting a little crazy. Not to mention I’m kind of sick to death of … ok I’m getting really OT. 🙂

Aimee @ Irresistible Pets said:

I totally agree with ya! It’s not a good look for them! This really came out of the blue. Talk about BAM! haha

Jen | DOGthusiast&FoundPixel.com said:

Jessica
      Participant
      @Beaglesandbargains

Aimee – they just contacted you? That’s delayed… but I know they missed a few other bloggers in their first email too.

As far as I can tell many aren’t happy. They had agreed to do a review/giveaway for Luna’s birthday celebration then never shipped me a box. I had to scramble 3 days before it was supposed to go live for something.

The details I have so far are

• Aim to restart around May 1
      • Coupon codes should still work if you already have one
      • Probably will have a new contract
      • The full 12 boxes will be fulfilled
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.