Home Forums Blog Talk Anyone write for major dog magazines…

7 replies, 5 voices Last updated by Danielle 8 years, 10 months ago
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Danielle
      Participant
      @deewrite7

….such as Dog Fancy or Bark? I haven’t pitched nationals and was wondering if they take unsolicited pitches and if they pay well. Also how difficult it is to get assignments. So far, my blog itself is not making any money yet, but I am getting sponsored posts from it. I would ideally like to expand to print publications. Does any one have experience in this?

Cathy Bendzunas
      Participant
      @claycath

I haven’t  written for dog magazines but I have for major craft magazines and first you need to look for the write guidelines which are usually located in the front of the magazine below the table of contents most of the time. It’s important to follow the guidelines exactly.

I’m sure you can find the guidelines online now too. I did a search for Dog Fancy’s guidelines  and they do take freelance submissions. Here is their page: http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-magazines/dogfancy/writers_guidelines.aspx

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

Dog Fancy is no longer published. It’s now transformed into Dogster (print version), and as I understand it, is more of a lifestyle pub now than the traditional DF was (same thing happened with Cat Fancy–>Catster).  The Bark is more of a literary journal.

Each of these also have online venues and those may be easier to break into. The folks at Dogster and Catster will look at unsolicited pitches. Best way to break in is to first READ the magazines, and get a feel for the style, plus what’s been done recently. They take personal experience stuff and that’s one of the easiest ways to get that first byline. It’s what I did 20+ years ago with all the print mags at that time (there were way more…Dog World, Dog Fancy, Dog & Kennel…all now gone, alas). I know Keith Bowers (catster senior editor) and Vicki Walker (exec editor), and they’re aces. Don’t know the dogster senior editor Pamela Mitchell but can guess she’s great, too. Here’s a link to the staff: http://www.dogster.com/team-dogster/  Good luck!

Danielle
      Participant
      @deewrite7

Thank you ladies! I had no idea Dog Fancy was no longer. Thanks for the tips, Amy- they are helpful and I appreciate it! I have been in parenting pubs for years but really looking to transfer over to pets magazines.

Amy Shojai, CABC said:

Dog Fancy is no longer published. It’s now transformed into Dogster (print version), and as I understand it, is more of a lifestyle pub now than the traditional DF was (same thing happened with Cat Fancy–>Catster).  The Bark is more of a literary journal.

Each of these also have online venues and those may be easier to break into. The folks at Dogster and Catster will look at unsolicited pitches. Best way to break in is to first READ the magazines, and get a feel for the style, plus what’s been done recently. They take personal experience stuff and that’s one of the easiest ways to get that first byline. It’s what I did 20+ years ago with all the print mags at that time (there were way more…Dog World, Dog Fancy, Dog & Kennel…all now gone, alas). I know Keith Bowers (catster senior editor) and Vicki Walker (exec editor), and they’re aces. Don’t know the dogster senior editor Pamela Mitchell but can guess she’s great, too. Here’s a link to the staff: http://www.dogster.com/team-dogster/  Good luck!

Jessica/YDWWYW/PetTalkMedia
      Participant
      @adventurejess

I know that the first issie of Dogsrer Magazine had several articles and blurbs from fellow pet bloggers. I am not sure if they paid them or how much though.

Amy Shojai, CABC
      Participant
      @shojai

Yes, they paid. All of the i-5 publications pay. The rate varies between online and print, and also can vary depending on experience.

Jessica/YDWWYW/PetTalkMedia said:

I know that the first issie of Dogsrer Magazine had several articles and blurbs from fellow pet bloggers. I am not sure if they paid them or how much though.

Summer
      Participant
      @borderterriersruleOK

Here in the UK, our major dog magazines are Your Dog, Dogs Monthly and Dogs Today. I haven’t written for them, but I have been featured in them MANY, MANY times before!! I have written in to one of these magazines, and asked about a new feature I would love if they could consider me to write in the future. I would say to start off small, with little pay at first, just so you become known, and they become to enjoy your style and content. Then, I would hope that it could become more of a job. But a seriously enjoyable one!

Danielle
      Participant
      @deewrite7

Thanks, Earl, good advice. And thanks to everyone for weighing in!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.