Home Forums Life Happens: Everyday musings and issues in life Are two dogs better than one? Is three pushing it?

65 replies, 29 voices Last updated by Christine Caplan 7 years, 9 months ago
Viewing 65 reply threads
  • Author

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

Has anyone adopted a third dog?  Did your life turn upside down?  What are the pros and cons to having more than one dog?  Please share your experiences.

Dr. Anna M. Coffin
      Participant
      @ACoffin

I have four dogs and they all get along really well.  They are all females.  As long as you don’t have any interdog aggression issues you should be fine.  Mine are spaced apart at 11, 6, 4 and 1 year of age.  I also have my nieces dog on the weekend.  Most of mine I got as puppies but 1 was a rescue.  The rescue dogs are the challenge as you don’t know their previous history/socialization.

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

Wow!  FOUR! That’s wonderful.

Yes, our (nearly) six year old had a very rough beginning, coming from one of the worst Puppy Mill situations.  She was a mess.  The little idiosyncrasies came out almost two years later.  She’s a dominant female.  Sometimes Henry will argue that he’s really the boss, but Reese tells him otherwise!  I figured, if I adopt an adult dog, I will at least know their personality and if they are submissive.

I’ve read that three plus dogs, becomes more ‘pack-like’.  Do you find that?

Thank you for sharing,
      S.

Michelle D.
      Participant
      @dragonrain

Good luck if you adopt a third!  So far I’ve only ever had one dog at a time, but I am very seriously considering adopting a second.  My biggest fear is that, for some reason, the two wouldn’t get along.  I want another dog to increase my current dog’s quality of life, not decrease it! 

But my current boy looooves other dogs, so I’m hoping it’ll work out.  I think he’d really enjoy having another dog around to play with.  I’ll probably try to adopt a puppy, that way it will grow up around my first dog and hopefully they’ll learn to love each other.

Carma Allen
      Participant
      @carmapoodale

3 dog family here. Wouldn’t know what to do with only one or two. Have a small , medium and Large  and happy to say we have never had a dog fight, but the down side is they team up on you to go for a ride in the car and its not easy saying no. 2 females , one male. one is blind 10 yrs old but other than that in good health. 1 is standard chihuahua age 7 , male and standard poodle female age 7. 

BoingyDog
      @fun

I’ve only had two at a time – would have a couple dozen if I could! Bren from Pibbles N Me and Kimberly from Keep the Tail Wagging both have excellent posts about pros and cons. They were popular posts on both blogs so they should be easy to find. Good luck!

Jody Green
      @jmg0919

I would never have a single dog again.  Having two provides so much more interaction for the dogs.  Watching them play is priceless.  Now three is another story.  I’m sure it depends on the dogs, but when I had three, two would sometimes gang up on the third.  I now have five and that’s completely crazy!

michelle rouse
      @pawcificnorthwest

I have six dogs, four female and two males..

Only when I got my second to the last female, was one of the other females jealous, but I let them work it out and four years later..nothing.

I am very lucky though..

Rachel
      Participant
      @mykidhaspawsblog

I think 3 can be a great number, but I think it adds a lot of extra pack dynamics. My parents have 3 dogs, and I brought home their third when I was working at a shelter in college. It took a while for Jimmy to fit in, but once he did, we couldn’t image the trio any other way. Then we lost Rocky a little over a year ago, and my parents got a new puppy a few weeks ago, and it has once again become difficult to form the pack. I believe it will get easier over time, but right now the mix is difficult. Many shelters/rescues will allow you to bring your dogs to meet any potential new pets, which is always a good idea.

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

Thank you Michelle,

I don’t regret adopting a second dog, at all!  Henry and Reese are the best of friends;  They play and snuggle, and yes, they do also argue sometimes.  I can’t even remember back to just one.

S.

Michelle D. said:

Good luck if you adopt a third!  So far I’ve only ever had one dog at a time, but I am very seriously considering adopting a second.  My biggest fear is that, for some reason, the two wouldn’t get along.  I want another dog to increase my current dog’s quality of life, not decrease it! 

But my current boy looooves other dogs, so I’m hoping it’ll work out.  I think he’d really enjoy having another dog around to play with.  I’ll probably try to adopt a puppy, that way it will grow up around my first dog and hopefully they’ll learn to love each other.

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

Thanks Rachel, I did read somewhere that 3 dogs becomes more like a pack, and less like ‘individuals’.  I think that is my biggest fear; not, that I humanize my dogs (too much) ; )

Rachel Sheppard said:

I think 3 can be a great number, but I think it adds a lot of extra pack dynamics. My parents have 3 dogs, and I brought home their third when I was working at a shelter in college. It took a while for Jimmy to fit in, but once he did, we couldn’t image the trio any other way. Then we lost Rocky a little over a year ago, and my parents got a new puppy a few weeks ago, and it has once again become difficult to form the pack. I believe it will get easier over time, but right now the mix is difficult. Many shelters/rescues will allow you to bring your dogs to meet any potential new pets, which is always a good idea.

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

I will have to check out some of your photos, that seems like a neat mix!

I love doing the fun stuff, so an extra dose would be great : )

Thanks,

Sadie

Carma Poodale Allen said:

3 dog family here. Wouldn’t know what to do with only one or two. Have a small , medium and Large  and happy to say we have never had a dog fight, but the down side is they team up on you to go for a ride in the car and its not easy saying no. 2 females , one male. one is blind 10 yrs old but other than that in good health. 1 is standard chihuahua age 7 , male and standard poodle female age 7. 

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

So, go big, and/or go large! lol

Thanks Jody

Jody Green said:

I would never have a single dog again.  Having two provides so much more interaction for the dogs.  Watching them play is priceless.  Now three is another story.  I’m sure it depends on the dogs, but when I had three, two would sometimes gang up on the third.  I now have five and that’s completely crazy!

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

Funny, and true.

I always say my husband would be the first to go, however, I should probably keep him around.  He keeps me grounded; otherwise, I would bring someone (animal) new home, every time I volunteer!

Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely look for those posts.

S.

BoingyDog said:

I’ve only had two at a time – would have a couple dozen if I could! Bren from Pibbles N Me and Kimberly from Keep the Tail Wagging both have excellent posts about pros and cons. They were popular posts on both blogs so they should be easy to find. Good luck!

Linda Twigg
      @lindax

3 dogs would definitely be a pack, but a pack can be a good thing:) With 3 you can cuddle, treat, spoil one at a time because the others can play with each other.  But 3’s not too many to cuddle all together!  Also you can take one out with you and the other 2 can keep each other company, but again you could still take all 3.

Until 4 weeks ago I had 3 and now that my beautiful boy is gone my 2 girls are still struggling to decide who’s who, and the family just doesn’t feel right.  I’ve found with 3 there are few if any dominance or jealousy issues.  Each one knows their place in the pack and tend to be more settled and calm.  

During my life time of having dogs I’ve had from 2 – 7 at a time (excluding any fosters or rescues or borders) and I felt each one was special and managed to have an individual relationship with each one.

Just remember once you have 3 it’s very easy to have 4, or 5, or 6… ;>

Sarah (Sadie) said:

Thanks Rachel, I did read somewhere that 3 dogs becomes more like a pack, and less like ‘individuals’.  I think that is my biggest fear; not, that I humanize my dogs (too much) ; )

Rachel Sheppard said:

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

Thanks Linda,

Your answer is perfect.  I wasn’t really sure what I was asking, until reading your reply!

My husband and I had a senior cat, until a few months ago.  We had also been rehabilitating, and now fostering, feline ‘Ricky’ for several months.  At one time, we had three cats, with the two dogs.  Things haven’t felt ‘settled’ to me for a while.

Also, Reese came to us in need of some major rehabilitation; she was scared of her own shadow, and would hide in corners.  Reese bonded with Henry and the two have become inseparable.  Well, Henry is fine without Reese, but not visa versa.  It would be great, if we could take them to their vet appointments, solo.  Also, Henry and I have started doing agility training; I have to bring Reese too, or she becomes very anxious, at will sit in front of the door until he comes back!

I may choose to omit the last line of your message when I share this with my husband ; )

Thanks again,

Sadie

Victoria Carter
      @victoria.carter

I currently have four dogs myself. Wasn’t planned. My husband had two and I had one before we got married then my parents gave us a not quite year old puppy since they were moving and quite honestly had no idea when they adopted Chloe (GSD mix) as a playmate for Ali their Golden pup what they were getting in to. They couldn’t handle Chloe’s GSD focus since they worked (they are now retired but still wouldn’t have been able to handle her, their lives are not as dog friendly/oriented as my husband and mine is). It can be tough at times, but I wouldn’t change it for the world. They have their choice of playmates, older dogs are awesome for helping teach manners and what is expected in new environments (such as swimming and how to behave in the canoe), and they are just plain fun to watch.

Megan Folse
      Participant
      @thelittleartiste

I have a second dog. Love it. I got the dog because it was my puppy’s mother, though. They get along famously. The only cons is now we’re paying for twice the food. And we need to train both dogs because neither have had any training before we adopted them. But do it. You’ll be so happy you did!

Raising Fido
      @blog

I grew up with 3 dogs and it wasn’t too much for our family. We had a yard for them to run around in and two were pretty low key, where as one of the females was a bit more dominant than the other two, but otherwise they all got along very very well. There was always someone to play with.

Melissa K.
      Participant
      @thereturns7

I will always be a two dog family.  When we lost our Golden this summer, I thought we’d just let Bentley our Basset be an “only child” for a while to get undivided love and attention.  My husband and I were grieving our loss but Bentley was also.  We ended up keeping our daughter’s Westie for this next year.  The change in all of us was immediate.  He has livened things up and the two dogs get along great!  When it is time for Pierre to move back with his “mom,” I will be looking for a new puppy.  I agree with Boingy Dog, I’d be one step away from appearing on an episode of Hoarders if I had the room and the money!

Jenny Lewis
      Participant
      @pixelblueeyes.blog

Adopting a 3rd dog was fantastic! Once you have 2 dogs, 3 or 4 is no big deal. Seriously! I remember thinking, “Oh no! 3 is too many!” years ago. Now? It’s perfect. When we had 4 dogs, it was perfect. Feeding time is a breeze, everyone watches me fix food in their dishes. Everyone has their own “space” for eating that is about 3 feet apart and we watch them eat so no one “travels” to other bowls to “help” their sister along, LOL! They love each other very much,they snuggle together, they have tiny moments of jealousy or grumpiness that are dealt with as needed, but that is very, VERY rare. No one is allowed to dominate, or take advantage of anything, just like with children, and we have learned each of their nuances. They know who is in charge (the humans), and they take care of each other. Our girls are 9, 6, and 3. Of course, with any new member of the family, there is an adjustment, and they form their own relationships as well. When I got Pixel as a 9 wk old, the other dogs (we had 3 at the time) had a period of time where they tried to block her from pack activity…things like getting on the bed together, or playing with a toy in the hall. We did NOT allow it and made sure she felt just as included, while still letting the others know how much they are loved. We just stopped it when we saw it, made sure she was allowed to be there too, and it all worked out well. Not a big deal.
      My girl Pixel actually taught my Mom’s dog Dixie Mae, a puppy mill survivor who was adopted last February, the finer points on “being a dog” and it was so sweet to watch! Dixie followed Pixel everywhere! I would recommend having multiple dogs to everyone!
      Jenny & Pixel

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

Thanks Victoria,

Sometimes you don’t even have to go looking I guess.

I’m trying to picture 4 dogs plus 2 people in a canoe……………………………..

Victoria Carter said:

I currently have four dogs myself. Wasn’t planned. My husband had two and I had one before we got married then my parents gave us a not quite year old puppy since they were moving and quite honestly had no idea when they adopted Chloe (GSD mix) as a playmate for Ali their Golden pup what they were getting in to. They couldn’t handle Chloe’s GSD focus since they worked (they are now retired but still wouldn’t have been able to handle her, their lives are not as dog friendly/oriented as my husband and mine is). It can be tough at times, but I wouldn’t change it for the world. They have their choice of playmates, older dogs are awesome for helping teach manners and what is expected in new environments (such as swimming and how to behave in the canoe), and they are just plain fun to watch.

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

Megan,

That is fantastic that you kept mom and pup together!!!

I love the bonded adoption stories.  Thanks for sharing.

S.

Megan Folse said:

I have a second dog. Love it. I got the dog because it was my puppy’s mother, though. They get along famously. The only cons is now we’re paying for twice the food. And we need to train both dogs because neither have had any training before we adopted them. But do it. You’ll be so happy you did!

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

I hoped that might be the case.  Reese and Henry play sometimes but Henry likes to ‘meditate’ and after two years of rehabilitation, little miss Reese is quite playful!

Raising Fido said:

I grew up with 3 dogs and it wasn’t too much for our family. We had a yard for them to run around in and two were pretty low key, where as one of the females was a bit more dominant than the other two, but otherwise they all got along very very well. There was always someone to play with.

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

I’m so sorry you lost your Golden.  I have felt a shift in the dynamics since the loss of our 18 year old feline last summer.  Charlie was mama bear (of the whole house).  I’m sure Pierre will miss you all but it sounds like he has been a blessing.

M. K. Clinton said:

I will always be a two dog family.  When we lost our Golden this summer, I thought we’d just let Bentley our Basset be an “only child” for a while to get undivided love and attention.  My husband and I were grieving our loss but Bentley was also.  We ended up keeping our daughter’s Westie for this next year.  The change in all of us was immediate.  He has livened things up and the two dogs get along great!  When it is time for Pierre to move back with his “mom,” I will be looking for a new puppy.  I agree with Boingy Dog, I’d be one step away from appearing on an episode of Hoarders if I had the room and the money!

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

Oh my goodness, they’re adorable!!!

Thanks Jenny.  I do find both Reese and Henry have demonstrated dominant behavior and was a bit concerned about how a third would fit in with two bossy pups.

S.

Pixel Blue Eyes & Jenny Lewis said:

Adopting a 3rd dog was fantastic! Once you have 2 dogs, 3 or 4 is no big deal. Seriously! I remember thinking, “Oh no! 3 is too many!” years ago. Now? It’s perfect. When we had 4 dogs, it was perfect. Feeding time is a breeze, everyone watches me fix food in their dishes. Everyone has their own “space” for eating that is about 3 feet apart and we watch them eat so no one “travels” to other bowls to “help” their sister along, LOL! They love each other very much,they snuggle together, they have tiny moments of jealousy or grumpiness that are dealt with as needed, but that is very, VERY rare. No one is allowed to dominate, or take advantage of anything, just like with children, and we have learned each of their nuances. They know who is in charge (the humans), and they take care of each other. Our girls are 9, 6, and 3. Of course, with any new member of the family, there is an adjustment, and they form their own relationships as well. When I got Pixel as a 9 wk old, the other dogs (we had 3 at the time) had a period of time where they tried to block her from pack activity…things like getting on the bed together, or playing with a toy in the hall. We did NOT allow it and made sure she felt just as included, while still letting the others know how much they are loved. We just stopped it when we saw it, made sure she was allowed to be there too, and it all worked out well. Not a big deal.
      My girl Pixel actually taught my Mom’s dog Dixie Mae, a puppy mill survivor who was adopted last February, the finer points on “being a dog” and it was so sweet to watch! Dixie followed Pixel everywhere! I would recommend having multiple dogs to everyone!
      Jenny & Pixel

Victoria Carter
      @victoria.carter

It is quite interesting and fun I do have one blog post of us canoeing posted, for help with the mental image lol. Here’s a link to it: Dogs Gone Canoeing

Sarah (Sadie) said:

Thanks Victoria,

Victoria Carter said:

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

Hi Victoria, 

I can’t seem to be able to open the link.  Could you please repost? I would love to see photos.

Thanks

Victoria Carter said:

It is quite interesting and fun I do have one blog post of us canoeing posted, for help with the mental image lol. Here’s a link to it: Dogs Gone Canoeing

Sarah (Sadie) said:

Thanks Victoria,

Victoria Carter said:

Victoria Carter
      @victoria.carter

http://www.meetthefurbombers.com/2013/06/25/dogs-gone-canoeing/

Sarah (Sadie) said:

Hi Victoria, 

I can’t seem to be able to open the link.  Could you please repost? I would love to see photos.

Thanks

Victoria Carter said:

Sarah (Sadie) said:

Thanks Victoria,

Victoria Carter said:

Christine Paul
      Participant
      @ohmyshihtzu

We have a total of 9 in our pack. 7 of our own and 2 of my mothers. Every one gets along well, though the last into the pack has a few social issues that are managed. All nine are females and 4 of those are Shih Tzus. The only “pack” type issues occur when they chase Ninja the cat, then every gets in on the fun, well it’s only the 6 little dogs….but Ninja gets a kick out of it. I really only have 1 big dog who is about60 pounds, one at 35 and everyone else being 20 or under, which I think makes it much easier. I know people who have 3 large dogs and it is very difficult for them.

Lisa
      Participant
      @lisa14

What’s that saying….   You can never be too rich, too thin or have too many dogs. 

Linda Twigg
      @lindax

Christine, you make me jealous!  I’ve gone from also having a pack of 7 plus my mom’s 2 occasionally plus the odd foster from time to time, to only having 2!!  

I wrote a comment here awhile back about my boy dog dying and having only the 2 girls now didn’t feel like a pack.  I’m still so torn about what to do.  Selfishly just for me, I’d love to get another dog (preferably some little mutt that no one else wants;> ) But my one girl completely fell apart after his death and she’s only now getting her old spark back.  I think I need to wait till she’s totally ok so she can handle a new dog.  Or do I do it now while things are still unsettled?

If my financial situation allowed for it – I’d be working my way back to 7…  Love a big pack!

Realistically speaking, I still think 3’s a really nice number.  I took one with me to the beach on Sunday and felt terrible leaving the other one alone at home.  She can’t really go anywhere as she has severe health problems so it’s too much of a risk that she could eat something or pick up something if she’s out. If there’d been a 3rd she would have had a doggie dog sitter lol!

Christine Paul said:

We have a total of 9 in our pack. 7 of our own and 2 of my mothers. Every one gets along well, though the last into the pack has a few social issues that are managed. All nine are females and 4 of those are Shih Tzus. The only “pack” type issues occur when they chase Ninja the cat, then every gets in on the fun, well it’s only the 6 little dogs….but Ninja gets a kick out of it. I really only have 1 big dog who is about60 pounds, one at 35 and everyone else being 20 or under, which I think makes it much easier. I know people who have 3 large dogs and it is very difficult for them.

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

Thanks Christine,  I did wonder if a larger dog added to the mix might be a challenge as we’re used to cats and cat sized dogs lol

Christine Paul said:

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

That is SUCH a great saying!

Lisa Taron (The Pet Blog Lady) said:

What’s that saying….   You can never be too rich, too thin or have too many dogs. 

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

Oh, I hope you do get another one.  Especially one that is likely to be overlooked (the ‘rejected’ are so grateful and full of love).

Linda Twigg said:

Christine, you make me jealous!  I’ve gone from also having a pack of 7 plus my mom’s 2 occasionally plus the odd foster from time to time, to only having 2!!  

I wrote a comment here awhile back about my boy dog dying and having only the 2 girls now didn’t feel like a pack.  I’m still so torn about what to do.  Selfishly just for me, I’d love to get another dog (preferably some little mutt that no one else wants;> ) But my one girl completely fell apart after his death and she’s only now getting her old spark back.  I think I need to wait till she’s totally ok so she can handle a new dog.  Or do I do it now while things are still unsettled?

If my financial situation allowed for it – I’d be working my way back to 7…  Love a big pack!

Realistically speaking, I still think 3’s a really nice number.  I took one with me to the beach on Sunday and felt terrible leaving the other one alone at home.  She can’t really go anywhere as she has severe health problems so it’s too much of a risk that she could eat something or pick up something if she’s out. If there’d been a 3rd she would have had a doggie dog sitter lol!

Christine Paul said:

Jodi Ross
      @jross

Well after reading the thread, I must say you strike me as the kind of human who can handle it all.  I think your heart is so big – your home can deal with it.

I’ve only had one fur friend at a time, but truly believe that a family of animals and humans will have ups and downs, some will get along famously and others will tolerate eachother….. you know ‘love the devil you know’ kind of thing.

Good luck in your decision making and no matter what it is, it will the best thing for all of you 🙂

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

Thanks Jodi, 

Interesting mix of words; we have DEFINITELY had some ‘devilish’ antics in this house from time to time, and days when the pack get on each other’s nerves for some reason and just tolerate each other.  I guess that’s what families do.  Sometimes I think it’s less about our ‘decision’, and more a case of fate/timing – waiting for the right personality to present themselves, and join the mix   ; )

I’ll keep you posted,

Sarah

Jodi Ross said:

Well after reading the thread, I must say you strike me as the kind of human who can handle it all.  I think your heart is so big – your home can deal with it.

I’ve only had one fur friend at a time, but truly believe that a family of animals and humans will have ups and downs, some will get along famously and others will tolerate eachother….. you know ‘love the devil you know’ kind of thing.

Good luck in your decision making and no matter what it is, it will the best thing for all of you 🙂

Donnington Cat
      @henriettabenjamin

I’ve got 4 dogs too, Benjamin husky, he found Odin as a puppy and brought him home, then he found Roxy who was surviving up the lane, so she joined us, then next spring Charlie sort of appeared playing with kids up the road, mother didn’t want a dog so she joined us too… When Benjamin went to Rainbow bridge there was a bowl and a bed free so along came Mandy… And we are all healthy and happy now… But it takes time.

GogoDogo
      Participant
      @hunnybear777

I will be getting a second dog soon for my Dogo Argentino, he loves other dogs and really needs a buddy.

I can see myself with 3-4 dogs, the more the merrier as long as I have a large property (it’s nice to dream, right?)

My friend has two dogs, a Shepherd mix and a Pomeranian mix. She has been wanting to get either a Great Pyrenees or Irish Wolfhound as her next dog. Right now, she is waiting for a larger piece of property to come up as well. She has almost adopted a third dog a few times so far, but she is still holding back.

Someone stated below it can change the pack dynamics, I guess it will all depend on the new and current dogs.I still think that if you have the time, space and the funds I would go for it 🙂

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

I love that they found you and have been loved. thank you for sharing your story and great pics!

Donnington Cat said:

I’ve got 4 dogs too, Benjamin husky, he found Odin as a puppy and brought him home, then he found Roxy who was surviving up the lane, so she joined us, then next spring Charlie sort of appeared playing with kids up the road, mother didn’t want a dog so she joined us too… When Benjamin went to Rainbow bridge there was a bowl and a bed free so along came Mandy… And we are all healthy and happy now… But it takes time.

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

He will LOVE having a buddy, I’m sure. I can’t imagine Henry without Reese. I must say though, they are considerably smaller than yours lol. Speaking of size – dream large!

I look forward to hearing about your new addition when it happens. And photos!

GogoDogo said:

I will be getting a second dog soon for my Dogo Argentino, he loves other dogs and really needs a buddy.

I can see myself with 3-4 dogs, the more the merrier as long as I have a large property (it’s nice to dream, right?)

My friend has two dogs, a Shepherd mix and a Pomeranian mix. She has been wanting to get either a Great Pyrenees or Irish Wolfhound as her next dog. Right now, she is waiting for a larger piece of property to come up as well. She has almost adopted a third dog a few times so far, but she is still holding back.

Someone stated below it can change the pack dynamics, I guess it will all depend on the new and current dogs.I still think that if you have the time, space and the funds I would go for it 🙂

Donnington Cat
      @henriettabenjamin

Sarah (Sadie) said:

I love that they found you and have been loved. thank you for sharing your story and great pics!

Thank You, They all get on really well and the girls henpeck Odin a bit but he doe’st mind… Really… He’s such a gentle big guy…

Donnington Cat said:

Donnington Cat
      @henriettabenjamin

This is Odin after he has been burying his toy…

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

Ah!  How does he look so perfectly clean except the little bit on his nose?  This is Henry…….ten minutes after we returned from the groomer’s!

Donnington Cat
      @henriettabenjamin

It takes talent to get that dirty so quickly, especially on the nose… Ha Ha… 🙂

Jim
      Participant
      @fido

Two hands facilitate feeding two bowls, can fuss two dogs comfortably.  Try fussing three, not the same dynamic, hands more than full.   My dog has a cat though, and one cannot be fussed without the other.  So just them.  Two is a good number.  Three dogs or a combination thereof ?  My advice, get another human, though they often need fussing, too.  Treats are good to keep them all happy. Just a perspective.  Phydo

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

Hi Jim,  I’m sorry to take so long to respond to your comment; thank you for contributing.  I have often wondered how much more of a juggling act three dogs might become.  Funny, I bumped into a neighbor today while out with my two – she has FOUR and ends up doing 2 walks as two are older/slower.  I guess that would be incentive for exercise.  No more humans though – my dogs are more agreeable than my husband most of the time lol.

Debbie Dreher
      @debbie2

We have four dogs and I have to say it is hectic but we love them all! My husband and I are self employed so that helps a bit and we have a retired friend who can watch them from 3pm onwards, get them dinner and play in the yard. They are all big dogs – hounds – three rescues – and our most recent acquired dog Abe, a Treeing Walker Coonhoud, is the most active and challenging I would say. We have a large fenced in yard and the dogs are free to go in and out during the day so that helps but forget about having any good furniture until they are over the teenage years. We diligently walk them all in the morning and evening for at least 45 minutes and sometimes I run with the active ones 🙂 

I would highly recommend having more than one dog though! They love the companionship and once you’re in the routine of caring for one- what’s one more…or two…or three!

-Debbie

Amy Balot
      @amybalot

I have 2 but I am also self-employed, so I don’t have to leave them for work everyday. It was hectic when they were puppies because they were both so high-energy, and when I was training them it probably took a bit more work than with my last dog. I actually adopted one that had been a stray and was at an adoption event, but the lady doing the paperwork told me that he was found wandering the streets with another dog. Turns out this was his brother. 2 days later I went back and got the brother, too (he wasn’t at the adoption event, so I hadn’t seen him before). They were so happy to see each other again! I suppose they’d been together every minute before that, so I didn’t want to break up the family. They generally get along, play together, snuggle at night, etc.

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

That is such a wonderful story!  Thanks Amy for sharing. 

So glad your pups are together.

Amy Balot said:

I have 2 but I am also self-employed, so I don’t have to leave them for work everyday. It was hectic when they were puppies because they were both so high-energy, and when I was training them it probably took a bit more work than with my last dog. I actually adopted one that had been a stray and was at an adoption event, but the lady doing the paperwork told me that he was found wandering the streets with another dog. Turns out this was his brother. 2 days later I went back and got the brother, too (he wasn’t at the adoption event, so I hadn’t seen him before). They were so happy to see each other again! I suppose they’d been together every minute before that, so I didn’t want to break up the family. They generally get along, play together, snuggle at night, etc.

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

WOWZER!  THAT’S A LOT OF BOWZER!  And so much fun I’m sure. 

I’m still hopeful about #3.  Just have to find the right personality to come into an existing pack!

Thanks Debbie

Debbie Dreher said:

We have four dogs and I have to say it is hectic but we love them all! My husband and I are self employed so that helps a bit and we have a retired friend who can watch them from 3pm onwards, get them dinner and play in the yard. They are all big dogs – hounds – three rescues – and our most recent acquired dog Abe, a Treeing Walker Coonhoud, is the most active and challenging I would say. We have a large fenced in yard and the dogs are free to go in and out during the day so that helps but forget about having any good furniture until they are over the teenage years. We diligently walk them all in the morning and evening for at least 45 minutes and sometimes I run with the active ones 🙂 

I would highly recommend having more than one dog though! They love the companionship and once you’re in the routine of caring for one- what’s one more…or two…or three!

-Debbie

Dorothy “FiveSibesMom”
      Participant
      @FiveSibes

I have five Siberian Huskies, having added three puppies at one time! They love each other and are a wonderful pack family together and they love sharing space with us humans! They are 10 (Harley-female), 9 (Gibson-male), and three are 7 (Wolf-male, Bandit-female & Chloe-female)! At first, it was a little chaotic, adding any new puppy to the family can have an adjustment period, but three overwhelmed my one Husky, Gibson, at first. Harley, our alpha “queen,” she immediate took on role of surrogate momma to the pups, a role she still has today! What I did was take Gibson and Harley out away from the pups for their special rides, walks, two-on-one and one-on-one time, and in a couple weeks, they all found their ground. The pups wanted Gibson’s perch, and at first his expressions were priceless, like, “um, what are these and when are they leaving?” and now they all snuggle and sleep near each other, eat together, play together, and watch TV with us together! It has been one of the very best experiences of my life to have these five beautiful dogs grow up together and with us, and to see three littermates not be separated and grow up together as a family. Oh, there were crazy, chaotic times, and even though they are getting older now, there’s still a few chaotic times, but they are great. The three pups were trained all together at the same time, so to this very day they do everything in tandem! Actually, all five know the same commands, so “potty time, potty off the deck” see them all jump up and in a line trot off the deck down to the yard! Dinner time brings them all in and they go to their specific bowls. Our one pup, Bandit, is an alpha-wannabe, but Harley reminds her who is boss, and if it gets a little too rough, I step in and they immediately stop, roll over and start playing. But overall it really is lots of fun. Were there some sleepless nights? Oh yes! When we brought home the three pups at 8 weeks – you bet! And then separating them out from all three sleeping in one crate as pups was another “trial”…but it’s all worth it. I love our lives with our FiveSibes! Seeing them all sprawled around me at night while I’m watching TV, or hanging out by me when I’m out on the deck, or listening to them sing and howl together, just tugs at my heart and brings a big smile to my face! I wish you lots of luck and fun if you add to your family!

Christine Caplan
      Participant
      @christycaplan

I live with three hounds – I added the third dog about three years ago and new a puppy would be the only option so things were ok after a few months. The oldest was not pleased but taught our now three year old doxie important lessons. The middle dog and puppy are now best of friends and the oldest has accepted the pup into the pack. They play but the old guy is 12 and isn’t really interested in rough play. So the gruesome threesome are a great pack but it wasn’t immediate and it wasn’t love at first sight. 

Karin Willison
      @ayesha

I’ve had up to seven dogs at one time. The dynamics completely depend on the individual dogs and how they relate to one another. I only once had a problem, with 2 dominant females that could not get along. One had health and behavioral issues, so she started attacking all the other dogs in the house but especially the other female. I ended up having to rehome her. 

I still have the other female. She lives in my current household of four dogs, two females and two males, plus there are three additional female dogs that visit for several hours at a time a few days per week. She does well with any and all dogs that live or visit the house, unless food is involved. The other female she lives with is a big marshmallow, but the ones that visit are fairly confident and she still does fine with them.
      Although I have four dogs right now, it feels like three because the fourth one is small, sleeps most of the time, and doesn’t interact much with the others. The other three are large and active. If you’re going to have multiple large dogs, a big securely fenced yard is a must. One of the benefits of a multi dog house is that they will entertain each other. But if dogs are not the absolute center of your life (and if you have or want nice furniture) then I advise against having more than 2 large dogs.
      I don’t think rescued versus bred inherently makes a difference. The original breeding and how and where the dog grew up determines their personality. Many dogs end up in a shelter through no fault of their own, for example their owner died, or took decent care of them but then gave them up for some silly reason like moving or allergies. You have to judge each dog as an individual. If you’re looking to add another family member, but have dogs that might not do well with every other dog, going through rescue is the best plan. They usually place their dogs in foster homes first, so they know their personalities and can help you choose a good match. 

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

That’s fantastic!  I love that you gave your older dogs their own special time with you.  It’s fascinating how the dynamics all work out (Mama Harley). I can imagine that is quite the choir.  Thank you for sharing your story.  We’re still ‘discussing.’

FiveSibesMom said:

I have five Siberian Huskies, having added three puppies at one time! They love each other and are a wonderful pack family together and they love sharing space with us humans! They are 10 (Harley-female), 9 (Gibson-male), and three are 7 (Wolf-male, Bandit-female & Chloe-female)! At first, it was a little chaotic, adding any new puppy to the family can have an adjustment period, but three overwhelmed my one Husky, Gibson, at first. Harley, our alpha “queen,” she immediate took on role of surrogate momma to the pups, a role she still has today! What I did was take Gibson and Harley out away from the pups for their special rides, walks, two-on-one and one-on-one time, and in a couple weeks, they all found their ground. The pups wanted Gibson’s perch, and at first his expressions were priceless, like, “um, what are these and when are they leaving?” and now they all snuggle and sleep near each other, eat together, play together, and watch TV with us together! It has been one of the very best experiences of my life to have these five beautiful dogs grow up together and with us, and to see three littermates not be separated and grow up together as a family. Oh, there were crazy, chaotic times, and even though they are getting older now, there’s still a few chaotic times, but they are great. The three pups were trained all together at the same time, so to this very day they do everything in tandem! Actually, all five know the same commands, so “potty time, potty off the deck” see them all jump up and in a line trot off the deck down to the yard! Dinner time brings them all in and they go to their specific bowls. Our one pup, Bandit, is an alpha-wannabe, but Harley reminds her who is boss, and if it gets a little too rough, I step in and they immediately stop, roll over and start playing. But overall it really is lots of fun. Were there some sleepless nights? Oh yes! When we brought home the three pups at 8 weeks – you bet! And then separating them out from all three sleeping in one crate as pups was another “trial”…but it’s all worth it. I love our lives with our FiveSibes! Seeing them all sprawled around me at night while I’m watching TV, or hanging out by me when I’m out on the deck, or listening to them sing and howl together, just tugs at my heart and brings a big smile to my face! I wish you lots of luck and fun if you add to your family!

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

Hi Karin,

Thanks for sharing your experience(s).  I will DEFINITELY want to arrange a ‘meet and greet’ before we agree to another pack member.  Even then things can change after a settling in period.  I’m sorry you had to go through the experience of rehoming one of your females.

Karin Willison said:

I’ve had up to seven dogs at one time. The dynamics completely depend on the individual dogs and how they relate to one another. I only once had a problem, with 2 dominant females that could not get along. One had health and behavioral issues, so she started attacking all the other dogs in the house but especially the other female. I ended up having to rehome her. 

I still have the other female. She lives in my current household of four dogs, two females and two males, plus there are three additional female dogs that visit for several hours at a time a few days per week. She does well with any and all dogs that live or visit the house, unless food is involved. The other female she lives with is a big marshmallow, but the ones that visit are fairly confident and she still does fine with them.
      Although I have four dogs right now, it feels like three because the fourth one is small, sleeps most of the time, and doesn’t interact much with the others. The other three are large and active. If you’re going to have multiple large dogs, a big securely fenced yard is a must. One of the benefits of a multi dog house is that they will entertain each other. But if dogs are not the absolute center of your life (and if you have or want nice furniture) then I advise against having more than 2 large dogs.
      I don’t think rescued versus bred inherently makes a difference. The original breeding and how and where the dog grew up determines their personality. Many dogs end up in a shelter through no fault of their own, for example their owner died, or took decent care of them but then gave them up for some silly reason like moving or allergies. You have to judge each dog as an individual. If you’re looking to add another family member, but have dogs that might not do well with every other dog, going through rescue is the best plan. They usually place their dogs in foster homes first, so they know their personalities and can help you choose a good match. 

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

Thanks Christine.  It’s amazing how animals adapt.  I imagine we will go through an adjustment period too.  I love the title ‘gruesome threesome.’  I guess we would also have to come up with another term.  Currently I refer to Henry and Reese as the ‘twoligans,’ and ‘Dufus & Delilah.’  On occasion ‘Beavis & Butthead.’

Christine Caplan said:

I live with three hounds – I added the third dog about three years ago and new a puppy would be the only option so things were ok after a few months. The oldest was not pleased but taught our now three year old doxie important lessons. The middle dog and puppy are now best of friends and the oldest has accepted the pup into the pack. They play but the old guy is 12 and isn’t really interested in rough play. So the gruesome threesome are a great pack but it wasn’t immediate and it wasn’t love at first sight. 

Christine Caplan
      Participant
      @christycaplan

I LOVE the twoligans! You know – I cannot imagine my life without my pack of three. It was worth it — the adjustment period wasn’t terrible and they the old guy while cranky loves his pack, I know IT. Thanks for posting this question!

Sarah (Sadie) said:

Thanks Christine.  It’s amazing how animals adapt.  I imagine we will go through an adjustment period too.  I love the title ‘gruesome threesome.’  I guess we would also have to come up with another term.  Currently I refer to Henry and Reese as the ‘twoligans,’ and ‘Dufus & Delilah.’  On occasion ‘Beavis & Butthead.’

Christine Caplan said:

Sarah Bauer
      @sb

I currently have 4 dogs in my home! One of them needs a home but the rest are mine! The three get along great and really make my life better. I adopted my two boys, Ace and Dodger, a little over a year ago. They are boxer/pit bull mix. After meeting a few friends in the rescue world I began to foster. We’ve fostered five dogs now (at different times of course) and failed at one! My foster failure is a little bully named Bailey. The fourth dog in my house is an American Bulldog named Murphy. He’s up for adoption because he’s not dog friendly like he was supposed to be so I have to keep him separated from the others. I love having a house full of playful pitties! 

Mike Standish
      @coastdragonflyreviewers

Usually we only have 2 dogs.  The third arrives to be trained by the pack when the eldest dog is reaching his final days.  Its a happy time.  The puppy usually perks up the old dog, and walks become more active.  But the real problem come when puppy gets to go to dog training classes and the other 2 think they are missing out!

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

They hate to miss out! 

Thanks for sharing your story Mike. I’m glad they help each other.

Mike Standish said:

Usually we only have 2 dogs.  The third arrives to be trained by the pack when the eldest dog is reaching his final days.  Its a happy time.  The puppy usually perks up the old dog, and walks become more active.  But the real problem come when puppy gets to go to dog training classes and the other 2 think they are missing out!

Valerie
      Participant
      @puppytalesstudio

If you have 3 dogs, you have a ‘pack’, which means that they will establish a hierarchy.

It’s important that whatever happens, YOU are the alpha!

I have four dogs, and it works out great.

You remember; you are the Alpha, not your dog! 

Love

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

Thanks for the reminder – sometimes that role become blurred with just the two smaller ones and even the cat!

Michael Ezzo
      @ezzomr191

We foster a lot of puppies in Seattle, it usually works having a pair of siblings that can keep each other entertained. We’ve had tons of dogs and never had to worry about any pack issues, or ‘hierarchy ‘ with the dogs.

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

***UPDATE***

We did it!!!  Jack (dog #3) is now part of our pack!!!

He does require socializing and is afraid of his own shadow.  Jack gets along well with his new pack members and the rest of the crew act as if Jack has been with us forever.

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and suggestions.  It really did help us make this decision.

I haven’t done a grand introduction on our blog yet. My friend recently lost her dog to cancer and I don’t want to seem insensitive.  Will come back to share the link soon.

Thanks again,

The Parker Pack

Christine Caplan
      Participant
      @christycaplan

So funny – I just wrote a post about this! http://mylifewithdogspdx.com/national-simplify-life-week-three-dog-life/

Viewing 65 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.