Home Forums Blogging Tips & Tricks Blogging Calendars

50 replies, 23 voices Last updated by Anonymous 9 years, 10 months ago
Viewing 50 reply threads
  • Author

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Hi guys!

I am a firm believer in keeping a (I call mine an “Editorial Calendar” a nod to my former newspaper days) but whether you call it that, or a blogging calendar or a publishing calendar I believe they are a necessity for a host of reasons!

Just read a great piece that supports this. Enjoy!

The Science Behind A Publishing Schedule

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

I need to put a blogging schedule into Excel or something. My handwritten list is driving me batty. Thanks for this, Caren…

Bax Cat & Co.
      @baxcatandco

What a good article, thank you for sharing this!  Good timing, too; today I sat down and wrote out a more defined schedule for myself and my business (including creating, sewing, and yes – blogging!)   Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Bax glad you liked it! It helps me so much. I write the topics I will post about for whatever day. It makes my head a little less disorganized lol

Bax Cat & Co. said:

What a good article, thank you for sharing this!  Good timing, too; today I sat down and wrote out a more defined schedule for myself and my business (including creating, sewing, and yes – blogging!)   Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

OMG Carol you should see what I use…I have two small calendars, one for each blog. BOTH handwritten and scribbled on and blacked out!!! lol. Next year I am improving…going to a LARGER wall calendar lol 🙂

Carol Bryant said:

I need to put a blogging schedule into Excel or something. My handwritten list is driving me batty. Thanks for this, Caren…

Jennifer Costello
      Participant
      @Coz086

Caren, I got a large desk calendar a few weeks, I can not tell you how much this has helped me to get better organized! Before my schedule was just all in my head, which we all know is not very organized! Thank you so much for this idea! I can’t tell you how much easier it has made things! 

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Jennifer I am soooo happy!!!! NONE of our heads are very organized! lol. I have these 2 small notebook type calendars. I am already receiving lots of free ones for 2013 so I am going to use the larger ones next year. It has been a life-saver for me too. Then I can see what I have going on (or not lol)….you are most welcome and I am so happy you are lovin’ it! 🙂

Jennifer Costello said:

Caren, I got a large desk calendar a few weeks, I can not tell you how much this has helped me to get better organized! Before my schedule was just all in my head, which we all know is not very organized! Thank you so much for this idea! I can’t tell you how much easier it has made things! 

Jennifer Costello
      Participant
      @Coz086

The best part is that the calendar was free! lol:) as soon as I got it home I started filling it up! Now I just need some fun colorful pens! 

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Yep!! Mine were free too! (my new ones!)….go to the Dollar or drug store for colorful pens. I LOVE the idea of using different colors! You are so creative 🙂

Jennifer Costello said:

The best part is that the calendar was free! lol:) as soon as I got it home I started filling it up! Now I just need some fun colorful pens! 

Pudding & Parfait
      @parfaitpudding

We’ve been using Google Calendars to keep everything all in one place. It’s helping so much so far! Can’t recommend it enough. Especially since it syncs to the phone, so we can look at it wherever & whenever~

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

I can’t do that…syncing with the phone makes me more insane than I already am. I like the old-fashioned paper way 🙂

Pudding & Parfait said:

We’ve been using Google Calendars to keep everything all in one place. It’s helping so much so far! Can’t recommend it enough. Especially since it syncs to the phone, so we can look at it wherever & whenever~

Ann
      Participant
      @annstaub

I was just thinking of doing that. I have some notes scribbled in my phone notepad, but I love organization lol.

Pudding & Parfait said:

Jessica/YDWWYW/PetTalkMedia
      Participant
      @adventurejess

That sound about like my system. Anyone have experience using the WordPress editorial calendar plugin?

I know I am late to the party so I apologize if someone already mentioned that here and I just missed it.

Caren Osrin Gittleman said:

OMG Carol you should see what I use…I have two small calendars, one for each blog. BOTH handwritten and scribbled on and blacked out!!! lol. Next year I am improving…going to a LARGER wall calendar lol 🙂

Carol Bryant said:

Thank you for sharing! My blog is supposed to go live April 1 so this is perfect reading material for me.

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

Great share, Caren… I love “you can never make a new visitor come back if he doesn’t know when”

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

you are most welcome Darci!

Darci | Emma Grace Photography said:

Thank you for sharing! My blog is supposed to go live April 1 so this is perfect reading material for me.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

thanks Carol! I had forgotten all about it 🙂

Carol Bryant said:

Great share, Caren… I love “you can never make a new visitor come back if he doesn’t know when”

Jeannette Hartman
      @Jeannette

Excellent article! These days, I think editorial calendars should also include a component about when and how to promote the post on social media and a check of key words.

Emily Patterson-Kane
      @rattitude

It may well be a good idea.  But given the diversity of how people do stuff, perhaps not “necessary”.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

True Emily. That being said, many of us, (like myself) who have more than one blog with a host of give-aways, book reviews and product reviews, find it to be a marvelous tool to keep us organized. I would say that a rather large number of bloggers do use them. For those of us who do, they are “necessary”, but that’s right, “to each his own”. Have a great day!

Emily Patterson-Kane said:

It may well be a good idea.  But given the diversity of how people do stuff, perhaps not “necessary”.

Dash
      Participant
      @whskr

Catching up and enjoying this discussion. I use an editorial blog post calendar on WP AND a paper diary/note book. I have a set weekly programme with additions and grabbing a pencil and getting graphite on my hands gets me really absorded in the work. Why not a pen? I draw a lot and I love pencils.  Sketching, putting down ideas can be one on the fly without getting my ipad out or sitting at the computer. Pencils and paper rock 🙂

Purrfect Tales
      @meow3

Sweet! Thank you for sharing this awesome tip, Caren! I believe in definitely scheduling things out to get things done, outlining to make sure you don’t miss your main points etc, and having other eyes review your work. This is so helpful. I better get back to work on my site. I’ve got some new posts I’m working on and have learned a lot from this community already! Can’t wait to put some of this knowledge to use (already am actually). 

Stay tuned for the new posts!

– Carolina

Purrfect Tales
      @meow3

Agreed! I have always been an avid journal keeper and though I don’t use pencil, I love my pen and paper. Plus I just keep writing even if I make mistakes. I love jotting things down and messing up. Sometimes I even go back to things I didn’t like and will sometimes use in the final draft. For some reason I find it harder to go back to things in word docs/when typing. 

– Carolina

DashKitten.com said:

Catching up and enjoying this discussion. I use an editorial blog post calendar on WP AND a paper diary/note book. I have a set weekly programme with additions and grabbing a pencil and getting graphite on my hands gets me really absorded in the work. Why not a pen? I draw a lot and I love pencils.  Sketching, putting down ideas can be one on the fly without getting my ipad out or sitting at the computer. Pencils and paper rock 🙂

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

you are most welcome!! This community DOES “rock” doesn’t it? Looking forward to more of your posts!

Purrfect Tales said:

Sweet! Thank you for sharing this awesome tip, Caren! I believe in definitely scheduling things out to get things done, outlining to make sure you don’t miss your main points etc, and having other eyes review your work. This is so helpful. I better get back to work on my site. I’ve got some new posts I’m working on and have learned a lot from this community already! Can’t wait to put some of this knowledge to use (already am actually). 

Stay tuned for the new posts!

– Carolina

Jen | DOGthusiast&FoundPixel.com
      Participant
      @kidderton

I was wondering if anyone has used CoSchedule for WordPress, editorial and social media calendar. http://coschedule.com/

It isn’t free ($10/mo), and I have been following their development for awhile, but haven’t felt the need to take the leap yet. (I was mostly considering it for work, who would have paid, as I managed a writing team using WordPress where it would have been valuable. Project became defunct before they released CoSchedule!)

Curious if anyone finds it a very valuable subscription…

Paula Joseph-Johnson
      Participant
      @blkntan

Caren,

I love that you said this! I have found that, much as I love my technology, digital calendars (and to-do lists) cause things to slip through the cracks. I’m much better with a hard copy calendar for such things. Maybe it’s too many years of “Franklins” and “Filofax(es)” – along with too many years of time sheets for billing (public relations agencies).

Thanks for the article on editorial calendars. I never thought about really needing one to plan out my blog. Consequently, it gets to be hit-and-miss when other deadlines loom. This is my goal during the holidays: planning for the first part of 2014. 🙂

Paula J.

I can’t do that…syncing with the phone makes me more insane than I already am. I like the old-fashioned paper way 🙂

Pudding & Parfait said:

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Paula Hi!!! I am so happy it helped! Oh yeah…I am TOTALLY “old school” when it comes to my blogging calendar. I can scratch it all out and make it as messy as I like lol
      Paula Joseph-Johnson said:

Caren,

I love that you said this! I have found that, much as I love my technology, digital calendars (and to-do lists) cause things to slip through the cracks. I’m much better with a hard copy calendar for such things. Maybe it’s too many years of “Franklins” and “Filofax(es)” – along with too many years of time sheets for billing (public relations agencies).

Thanks for the article on editorial calendars. I never thought about really needing one to plan out my blog. Consequently, it gets to be hit-and-miss when other deadlines loom. This is my goal during the holidays: planning for the first part of 2014. 🙂

Paula J.

Pudding & Parfait said:

Sharon Seltzer
      @sjseltzer

I use a calendar like this for a blog I manage for a rescue group, but NEVER thought about using one for my own blog.  It’s a very useful tip! 

Participant
      @kidderton

I just wanted to add that I started using a digital calendar in WordPress (the free Editorial Calendar plugin), and despite being a little tiny bit buggy it is GREAT. It is super easy to start drafts, right in the calendar itself, and you can drag to reorder/reschedule posts and more.

If I get an idea, I go straight to the calendar, click New Post on a day in the calendar, type my notes, and click Save Draft. 

I’m a huge fan of pen and paper (and love my Moleskine), but have moved entirely to the digital calendar for post planning. It’s working out great, and can recommend this workflow. 

Participant
      @adventurejess

I don’t know how I lived without that calendar plugin!

L.E. Mastilock of RascalandRocco
      Participant
      @rascalandrocco

I still use a paper calendar, too. I have to see everything for the month, not little blips that something is going on that day. And crossing out/ writing in is so much faster with my pen. I tried Google calendar & it made me crazy. Glad I’m not the only one with my old school planner!

Paula Hi!!! I am so happy it helped! Oh yeah…I am TOTALLY “old school” when it comes to my blogging calendar. I can scratch it all out and make it as messy as I like lol
      Paula Joseph-Johnson said:

Caren,

Paula J.

Pudding & Parfait said:

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

@Leah OMG I am sooo much the same! LOVE being able to physically cross something off of my list and to see it crossed off!That’s why I use paper calendars too 🙂

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

I love my white board (which is used with my markers and eraser) and my paper calendars – I love that feeling of holding a calendar in my hands, being able to “pen” something in, and the feeling of accomplishment I get, too.

@Leah OMG I am sooo much the same! LOVE being able to physically cross something off of my list and to see it crossed off!That’s why I use paper calendars too 🙂

Liz Clouse
      @lizard227

Caren,

Thank you for that article. It only solidifies the class I took recently on the importance of an editorial calendar, when writing a blog. I use the Hobby to Hot! calendar. It was really helpful because not only does it focus on content and deadlines, she also goes over how to match your post with affiliate programs. 

Angie Bailey
      @catladyland

This is great! I have a written calendar, but am always looking for new ideas to make things easier. I’ve tried to keep a digital calendar, but I just work better with the paper!

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Liz Hi! Sorry it took me so long to reply, have just been crazy busy lately! So glad you found the info to be helpful. I would love to learn more about the Hobby to Hot calendar, do tell!
      Liz Clouse said:

Caren,

Thank you for that article. It only solidifies the class I took recently on the importance of an editorial calendar, when writing a blog. I use the Hobby to Hot! calendar. It was really helpful because not only does it focus on content and deadlines, she also goes over how to match your post with affiliate programs. 

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Angie I work better with paper too. I have to have the satisfaction of putting a giant X through something I have finished, or…I write the word DONE all over it lol

Angie Bailey said:

This is great! I have a written calendar, but am always looking for new ideas to make things easier. I’ve tried to keep a digital calendar, but I just work better with the paper!

Paula Joseph-Johnson
      Participant
      @blkntan

Oh, I was so happy with my blogging/editorial calendar. I developed it in Excel and planned to send a copy to myself at school and print it out (printer at home was kidnapped by college student!).

“The best-laid plans …” Laptop has been glitchy, so I thought upgrading the operating system might take care of whatever it was. Um. Not so much. Computer crashed. I’m hoping to make a trip to Mecca (Apple store) today to beg for assistance – and likely buy a new machine. All this to say that beautiful editorial calendar? Yep, it’s conveniently saved on my desktop.

GAH!

Happy Monday, all!

Paula J.

Paula Joseph-Johnson
      Participant
      @blkntan

So now I’m trying to re-create my calendar on Google calendars. I noticed some folks have the ability to add cute little clip art (stars, exclamation points, etc.) to theirs. Care to share how that’s done? I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks from frazzled and freezing Oklahoma – and it’s only Monday.

pj

Liz Clouse
      @lizard227

Hi Caren,

I have taken a few courses on how to start a blog and monetize it. Hobby to hot has been a great resource for that. She really shows you how to plan for your writing but also how to tye it all together. The class for the calendar is here:http://hobbytohot.com/ultimate-blogging-editorial-calendar-system/

Thanks, liz

Liz Hi! Sorry it took me so long to reply, have just been crazy busy lately! So glad you found the info to be helpful. I would love to learn more about the Hobby to Hot calendar, do tell!
      Liz Clouse said:

Caren,

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Liz thanks so much!! I hope to check that out soon! Thanks a million! I am certain others will find it to be helpful as well!

Liz Clouse said:

Hi Caren,

I have taken a few courses on how to start a blog and monetize it. Hobby to hot has been a great resource for that. She really shows you how to plan for your writing but also how to tye it all together. The class for the calendar is here:http://hobbytohot.com/ultimate-blogging-editorial-calendar-system/

Thanks, liz

Liz Clouse said:

Caren,

Participant
      @kidderton

@Paula – Go to the Settings icon on the far right and choose “Labs”. Do an in-page search for “Event Flair” and enable it. Then click on the event and look for a Calendar flair gadget to activate it.

Paula Joseph-Johnson
      Participant
      @blkntan

I ALWAYS forget about the Labs options!

Thanks so much,

pj

Jen deHaan | DOGthusiast.com said:

@Paula – Go to the Settings icon on the far right and choose “Labs”. Do an in-page search for “Event Flair” and enable it. Then click on the event and look for a Calendar flair gadget to activate it.

Suzanne @KawarthaMums
      @klakesmums

Love Google calendar too! I can even create one for people to book appointments with me. Fabulous tool!

Pudding & Parfait said:

Mama Paws
      @mama

Hi Jessica,

I’ve actually recently just downloaded the WP Editorial Calendar. It is pretty good. The only thing is that when you drag and drop the article for the day that you want it to come out, it has to be ready to go (or you have to remember to finish it… or an unfinished article will self-publish. My goal is to be a week ahead post-wise… then the articles will post themselves for that week and I just need to remember to do the social media bit for when they do.

Participant
      @adventurejess

@Mama Paws I’ve never had that problem. When you start the post, be sure to save it as a draft. I’ve had draft posts sitting in a spot but not scheduled/finished them before the date. They just keep sitting there as a draft even after the date passes.They’ve never self published unless I forgot to set them to draft until they are finished.

Lori Waters
      @Lori4

I found this editorial calendar that I thought was pretty good. I’ve only started messing with it but it’s definitely organized and appealing!

http://coschedule.com/

Participant
      @kidderton

Do the additional features over free WP calendars seem worth the $10/mo (for solo writers?)

Gina Neuman
      @info71

Excellent article!  An Editorial Calendar is a must.

I’m using a wall calendar that lets me fill-in the dates (I purchased a package with sheets of 30 for $5) for 30 days at a time. Since my blog is launching June 30th – I have a calendar of topics listed from June 30 to July 30.

Thanks for passing this along!

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

you are welcome Gina! I just use the good ‘ol large paper calendars (but I don’t hang them)…love your idea!
      Gina Neuman said:

Excellent article!  An Editorial Calendar is a must.

I’m using a wall calendar that lets me fill-in the dates (I purchased a package with sheets of 30 for $5) for 30 days at a time. Since my blog is launching June 30th – I have a calendar of topics listed from June 30 to July 30.

Thanks for passing this along!

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

I totally agree ~ my friend, who I share a blog with, & I use the “Feng Office” Professional Project Management. It’s a wonderful way of keeping track of milestones, tasks we assign ourselves or to each other, as well as communicating, uploading and sharing documents. Highly recommend it!

Viewing 50 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.