Home Forums New SLC Members Editing Exchange?

7 replies, 5 voices Last updated by Yvonne 9 years, 3 months ago
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Cynthia Courtney
      @cyndiedvm

I have to admit one of my biggest weakness is my own editing. I read and re-read and I even have my husband edit for me, but there always seems to be a typo that I’ve missed or something that just doesn’t sound right when I read it later on. 

I’m sure it’s getting in the way of me being the best blogger I can be. 

Is there any kind of editing co-op where people can help each other edit each others blogs? If not would anyone be interested in starting one?

Megan Folse
      Participant
      @thelittleartiste

That sounds like a brilliant idea. But there are bloggers who edit stuff (for a price). You can mostly find them on book review blogs and such. I don’t think they mean blog posts when they say the edit stuff.

Melissa K.
      Participant
      @thereturns7

Hey Cynthia,

I don’t know if this will help or not but I write my blog on Word so that I have spell check.  I just copy and paste it to my post page after I have corrected any typos that Word finds.  You may already be doing this but just in case you’re not, it is a big help to me.  Good luck!

Megan Folse
      Participant
      @thelittleartiste

Oh that reminded me, before I post most of my posts, I put it through paperrater.com. I think that’s what it’s called. I won’t publish it until I get a B+ or better. Then I know my writing is moderately decent. And it’s free. It’s not flawless, but it’s free.

Cynthia Courtney
      @cyndiedvm

Ooh, that sounds interesting. I’ll check that out.

Megan Folse said:

Oh that reminded me, before I post most of my posts, I put it through paperrater.com. I think that’s what it’s called. I won’t publish it until I get a B+ or better. Then I know my writing is moderately decent. And it’s free. It’s not flawless, but it’s free.

Cynthia Courtney
      @cyndiedvm

MK –

I have a lot of trouble getting my formatting to convert properly from microsoft word to the blog. Spaces don’t look write, fonts get messed up, my headers and images don’t insert correctly. Any advice on making that transition go more smoothly?

M. K. Clinton said:

Hey Cynthia,

I don’t know if this will help or not but I write my blog on Word so that I have spell check.  I just copy and paste it to my post page after I have corrected any typos that Word finds.  You may already be doing this but just in case you’re not, it is a big help to me.  Good luck!

Julia
      Participant
      @JuliaRue2

“Spaces don’t look right.” … 🙂

I have noticed how easy it is for typos to sneak in and I want to help. I am just starting to offer this as a service. I’m still working out pricing and details, I’d be happy to talk to you and see what we can work out.

Yvonne
      Participant
      @yvonne1

http://paperrater.com/ – who knew? What a great resource! Must share. 

For your formatting issues, understand that Word or any other writing tool has computer code attached. Your blog’s code might not play nicely with your writing tool’s code. It used to make blogging so hard, back in the early days. Now, most platforms we use to blog on talk nice to our writing tool. 

If you’re having these issues, try writing in Notepad. Notepad strips the formatting code out. It’s plain text. So when you insert in your blog, it goes in as plain text and the blog platform’s code takes over. 

Does that help?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.