Home Forums Blog Talk Facebook Fan pages

24 replies, 6 voices Last updated by Caren 12 years, 1 month ago
Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author

Dawn
      Participant
      @petproductreview

Have you implemented your FB fan page timeline?  Here’s a good post on the changes that will take affect on March 30th and what you can include in your timeline cover photo- http://louisem.com/1136/facebook-fan-page-changes-happen-overnight#comment-106

Sue at For Love of a Dog
      Participant
      @sue3

Thanks, Dawn.  I’ve been dragging my heels on making the change.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

yes and can I tell you how much I HATE IT? I absolutely HATE IT.

Melody McKinnon
      @MelodyM

I changed my personal page and it’s all so…. disorganized, especially with the posts in two columns.  Therefore, I’ve been procrastinating with my fan pages.  I’ve been working on the header graphics though, if that counts.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Melody, my sentiments EXACTLY.

It doesn’t bother me on my personal page at all. On my fan page(s) it is HORRENDOUS. I never can see when people comment, it puts things in a bizarre order, it shows you a different view than it shows your readers (which you have to “x” out of every time you want to visit your page).

I really can’t stand it. Now ask me how I REALLY feel

Sue at For Love of a Dog
      Participant
      @sue3

I’ve experimented with the new timeline and am working on cover graphics, but I really dread the switch.  In my experimentation the way timeline shows the info is not logical to me.  It’s one thing to set it up…  what I really dread is reading it.  Friends with fan pages tell me they love the new admin feature so they can see comments they need to respond to, etc, all at a glance.   My life mantra:  change is good.  And I ususally welcome change… but maybe not FB timeline 😉

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Sue I also love change…but not this one.

I can also see the comments at the top but for me when I try to respond I lose them. Maybe it is just me.

In my opinion the words Facebook and logical don’t belong in the same sentence 🙂

Katherine Moore
      @katherine.e.moore

I want to switch over the Life with Arie fan page, but I haven’t had time. We’re making the switch for our clients at work, so I literally have hundreds of theirs to do first. I figure I’ll let that be my learning curve and then go to work on our Fan Page.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Katherine…you have my sympathy! 🙂

Dawn
      Participant
      @petproductreview

I did mine. I feel like everyone else, not really thrilled with it.  Although I do like that fact that you can pin a post. That has some good potential.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Dawn I am stupid…how do you “pin” a post there?

Dawn Miklich said:

I did mine. I feel like everyone else, not really thrilled with it.  Although I do like that fact that you can pin a post. That has some good potential.

Dawn
      Participant
      @petproductreview

Okay, Caren I hope your happy. You made me go learn something, lol! :>)

Here’s a screenshot-

Outlined in red-  If you hover over the upper right corner, 2 icons appear.  When you click on the pencil icon, you can edit and it lets you select Pin to Top.

Outlined in yellow- This is a pinned post. It has that little orange banner in the upper right corner.

Caren Osrin Gittleman said:

Dawn Miklich said:

Katherine Moore
      @katherine.e.moore

If you’re having to “x” out, which I assume you mean log out so you can see the non you view? you can always use two browsers. I do this all the time when I’m working on sites so that I can quickly compare before change/after change looks. Hope that helps!

Melody, my sentiments EXACTLY.

It doesn’t bother me on my personal page at all. On my fan page(s) it is HORRENDOUS. I never can see when people comment, it puts things in a bizarre order, it shows you a different view than it shows your readers (which you have to “x” out of every time you want to visit your page).

I really can’t stand it. Now ask me how I REALLY feel

Katherine Moore
      @katherine.e.moore

thanks. 🙂

Katherine…you have my sympathy! 🙂

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Nope…I have to click on “hide” and it is super annoying. For some reason I have to do it on my Cat Chat facebook page but rarely on my Dakota’s Den one….I don’t get it.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Ohhhhhh!!!! You are FANTASTIC!!!! I will have to check that out! Will it stay there til we move it? I might still be a little confused but I think I have a little understanding of it. That’s after we post the link there right? (bear with me lol…you are way more tech savvy than I am!)

I sooooo appreciate that you went and figured this out and did a screen shot, for ME!!!!!!!!!!

🙂

I owe you!

Dawn Miklich said:

Okay, Caren I hope your happy. You made me go learn something, lol! :>)

Here’s a screenshot-

Outlined in red-  If you hover over the upper right corner, 2 icons appear.  When you click on the pencil icon, you can edit and it lets you select Pin to Top.

Outlined in yellow- This is a pinned post. It has that little orange banner in the upper right corner.

Dawn Miklich said:

Dawn
      Participant
      @petproductreview

It stays for a week or you can unpin it.  I checked and you can only pin posts that created by the page. Could be great if you are doing giveaways on your blog. 

Ohhhhhh!!!! You are FANTASTIC!!!! I will have to check that out! Will it stay there til we move it? I might still be a little confused but I think I have a little understanding of it. That’s after we post the link there right? (bear with me lol…you are way more tech savvy than I am!)

I sooooo appreciate that you went and figured this out and did a screen shot, for ME!!!!!!!!!!

🙂

I owe you!

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

did it! Thanks for your wonderful tutorial! The only thing I don’t like. It doesn’t pin it to the TOP of the page. It just widens the view. I thought it would pin it at the top and keep it there. Didn’t do that with mine.

Dawn Miklich said:

It stays for a week or you can unpin it.  I checked and you can only pin posts that created by the page. Could be great if you are doing giveaways on your blog. 

🙂

I owe you!

SureFlap
      @g.bentham

I’ve switched the SureFlap Facebook Fan Page over fairly quickly and it certainly isn’t easy on the eye! Caren, I agree that it can be hard to see when fan post. I do like the nice big cover photo though and the feature that allows fans to send you private messages.

Sue at For Love of a Dog
      Participant
      @sue3

I’m still dragging my heels about converting.  I guess I like the new cover photo area (actually I know I’ll miss my Welcome page).  I just have a lot of trouble “reading” the new pages.  No more “at a glance” reading… sigh…

Dawn
      Participant
      @petproductreview

Looks good! Yeah, it just pins the post at the top of your timeline not the page so not the best, but we didn’t have that before so it will be interesting to see how well it works. 

did it! Thanks for your wonderful tutorial! The only thing I don’t like. It doesn’t pin it to the TOP of the page. It just widens the view. I thought it would pin it at the top and keep it there. Didn’t do that with mine.

Dawn Miklich said:

🙂

I owe you!

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

I agree with the good points but it is still sooo hard to read!

SureFlap said:

I’ve switched the SureFlap Facebook Fan Page over fairly quickly and it certainly isn’t easy on the eye! Caren, I agree that it can be hard to see when fan post. I do like the nice big cover photo though and the feature that allows fans to send you private messages.

Melody McKinnon
      @MelodyM

I’m still messing around with the design for both pages.  I spotted a link to this site today and thought it might be helpful to those who just want to get something good up there, or it may inspire ideas:  FacebookTimelineBanner.com That link goes straight to the ‘animals’ category, but there’s lots of other categories … including a few that you may want to avoid if you’re easily offended 😮 .

Dawn
      Participant
      @petproductreview

Thanks Melody! I took a peek (at the animal ones, not the offendable one) and they have some nice pictures.

I’ve seen some fan pages that didn’t do a cover photo and I don’t think they look bad, so that can be an option too.

I hate trying to read the timeline too Caren!  I did find if you click on the grayed out button under the cover photo that says Highlights, you can chose to read the posts that are post by the page admin or those posted by the friends. It just makes my head hurt less to find things that way. 

Melody McKinnon said:

I’m still messing around with the design for both pages.  I spotted a link to this site today and thought it might be helpful to those who just want to get something good up there, or it may inspire ideas:  FacebookTimelineBanner.com That link goes straight to the ‘animals’ category, but there’s lots of other categories … including a few that you may want to avoid if you’re easily offended 😮 .

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Dawn thank you!! Maybe i will go and mess around with that…thanks so much for the tip!!!!!!!!!!

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.