Home Forums Blog Talk How I Went from a General Pet Blog to Top Blog on Raw Feeding

9 replies, 9 voices Last updated by Carleen Pruess Coulter 9 years, 1 month ago
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Kimberly Gauthier
      Participant
      @kimberlymgauthier

The A to Z Challenge is right around the corner. If you’re looking to jump start your blogging, change your niche, or show Google what your blog is REALLY about (with 26 days of targeted keywords) – then this is a great challenge for you.

I did this last year and was able to go from a general blog about my dogs to one of the top blogs on raw feeding in a month. 2 months after last year’s A to Z Challenge, I was chatting on the phone with the CEO of Bravo Pet Foods​ and I learned recently that the CEO of In Clover​ and the owner of Green Juju Kitchen​ are also regular readers of Keep the Tail Wagging​.

This is definitely worth the time. Plan ahead (I printed out a calendar for April and wrote out each day’s topic), start writing in mid March, and focus on 1-2 keywords.

This really does work!

It may seem intimidating and difficult to keep up – if you plan ahead with a calendar the you can do it.  I did all of my writing on the evenings and weekends and had most of April complete by the end of the first week. Need help coming up with ideas?  Partner with another blogger and bounce ideas off of one another – I’m game if you want to try it out with me.

Whether you’re trying to monetize your blog, raise awareness of a cause, or just educate people about something specific to the pet who warms your heart – this is great for everyone.

Here’s the site where you can sign up: http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/p/a-to-z-challenge-sign-uplist-2015.html

And here’s a bonus for you.  When you’re finished, you can download the articles into an eBook and give it away to your readers to grow your mailing list.  Having a lot of of followers on social media is great, until FB stops sharing your posts.  Build a mailing list so you’ll have direct access (barring the spam folder) to your followers!  I started building mine last year and it’s amazing what a difference it makes to traffic.

Christie
      Participant
      @czizo

I joined. Dunno if I’ll be able to stick with it, but i could use a challenge.

Dr. Anna M. Coffin
      Participant
      @ACoffin

Do you use the same keywords for every single post?  Can you give examples?

Juliet Whitfield
      @dogs

Great info Kimberly.  Thanks for the post!

Lisa
      Participant
      @heartprintspets

I’ve joined and started writing to prepare. I need a challenge and I think this one is going to be great.

Jenna Meow
      Participant
      @jennameowlifestyle

As a new blogger this is so tempting to try to get me in the habit of blogging. However my main fear is that it will force me to post things I may not otherwise post, fear of posting for quantity of posts rather than quality.

Kimberly could you give any other advice about keywords as Dr Anna Coffin asked? And how important is it to really stay in a specific niche?

Thanks for your encouragement!

Dawn
      Participant
      @lolatherescuedcat

Would it be worth it to join if i know i will  miss a few days? 

Carleen Pruess Coulter
      Participant
      @carleenpruess

Thanks for the heads up on this! I signed up my food blog. It needs a serious kick in the pants! I’m planning my topics now.

You said you would like to do it more than once per year. It would be cool to do a mini version of this just among blogpaws people for pets or something where everyone also did a lot of sharing of each other. Maybe in the fall sometime?  Not sure how hard that would be to organize, but it could be fun!  

Summer
      Participant
      @borderterriersruleOK

I did the A-Z Challenge last year and had a blast doing so. I discovered many more amazing and touching blogs and websites through the challenge’s linky list which was provided at the start, to run through until the middle of the month, when a new one was started. I loved how the challenge was run last year, and I do hope it will be ran the same again this April. 

And I LOVE the theme of this year’s A-Z Challenge – Agility! We compete in agility, and it will be so cool to be able to share a month’s worth of posts on the subject, if I can!

Very excited!

Carleen Pruess Coulter
      Participant
      @carleenpruess

I ended up signing up 3 blogs for this. I’ll be busy, LOL!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.