Home Forums Blogging Tips & Tricks Need tips for growing my blog’s facebook page

26 replies, 10 voices Last updated by Jason 8 years, 5 months ago
Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author

Lauren Miller
      @lythiaren_ice

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for growing my facebook page for my blog? I only have around 112 likes. I’ve tried liking other people’s pages but hardly anyone has liked me back. https://www.facebook.com/zoephee201

Jessica/YDWWYW/PetTalkMedia
      Participant
      @adventurejess

Hi Lauren.

Have you tried anything else besides liking other people’s pages? Facebook is not a “like for like” community like Instagram and Twitter. Plus, if you liked pages from your page they very likely won’t know (only likes from personal profiles show in their like count; a page manager used to be able to see the pages that liked their page I think (although most never looked) but I haven’t been able to find that feature for a long time).

Besides placing an ad for people to like your page (not boosting posts – may work to increase engagement but not likes), the best thing to do is make sure you are posting good content and INTERACT with other pages as your page (like and comment on their posts).

Geoffrey
      Participant
      @aimablecats

When you like other pages, leave a post on their page telling them that you liked them.  I sometimes also include a note on how I found them.

such as

I’m here because Zamboni The Cat sent me.
      or
      Alli’s Katz sent us.

Participant
      @adventurejess

I would be careful with that one. A “hi. We love your page” is ok but a “hi. I liked your page so please visit mine” may work for some and will really irritate some…who will never like your page because of it and probably delete your post (or totally ignore it). Just make sure it doesnt sound like ” I liked you so now you like me back” and you should be fine.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Didn’t know you had a page! Just liked it!! I was going to say what Jessica said above, if people like your page as a PAGE rather than from their personal profile/page (it will NOT SHOW). In order for the like to show, people have to like as themselves and not their page. I just left a comment on your page from Dakota, he ALWAYS likes people back who like him…………he liked your page (or I did from my personal page) and we are hoping you will like his page too if you haven’t already.

Participant
      @adventurejess

Oh…and Geoffrey’s suggestion is good…..sometimes mentioning someone you both know works. Just wanted to make sure you didn’t head down the wrong road with it 🙂

Lara Elizabeth
      Participant
      @doggess76

Hi Lauren! I had trouble with this as well.  Most of my like boosts came from others sharing my page (like Jessica from Waggy Tales and Amanda from Dog Mom Days) and I also did some share exchanges with other dog pages, before I knew that requesting that was considered by some to be rude or tacky…

I just shared ZoePhee on my Rubicon Days page (as I’m more than happy to do so for pages/blogs I truly love!) and hope it gets you some new likes!

I have pretty much stopped promoting my FB page. I try to focus on posting cute dog memes, photos and videos a couple times a day, but not doing any more paid boosts or anything. I find it very discouraging as there just isn’t much engagement. I’m not sure why people are so hesitant to engage…even when I ask a direct and interesting question, I get maybe, at top, ten responses out of 1100 followers.

Jen | DOGthusiast&FoundPixel.com
      Participant
      @kidderton

Apart from hitting the jackpot with creating something viral and/or a lot of content being shared by others, not a whole lot directly leads to likes other than perhaps having it prominently featured on your own website (and that only works if you have the traffic to get the likes). What I’ve witnessed, anyway, these days.

Facebook wants money for likes and engagement (and do be cautious with giving it to them – often doesn’t lead to the kind of likes you actually want, allegedly). Just post great content these days, share content you like from pages you enjoy, and engage where you can in a natural non-spammy way. I personally believe that’s the best one can really do. And for me it honestly hasn’t led to a lot on the Facebook side (likes, etc) – a ton of sweat for minimal return. I get likes on photos, but it pretty well ends there. Nice place to “engage” and “have fun” but not really “drive” if that makes sense. Personally I’m focusing on other social networks, but that’s just me. A lot of traffic comes from FB, but it’s from other people – not my doing 🙂

Lara Elizabeth
      Participant
      @doggess76

Great response, Jen.

Jen deHaan | DOGthusiast.com said:

Apart from hitting the jackpot with creating something viral and/or a lot of content being shared by others, not a whole lot directly leads to likes other than perhaps having it prominently featured on your own website (and that only works if you have the traffic to get the likes). What I’ve witnessed, anyway, these days.

Facebook wants money for likes and engagement (and do be cautious with giving it to them – often doesn’t lead to the kind of likes you actually want, allegedly). Just post great content these days, share content you like from pages you enjoy, and engage where you can in a natural non-spammy way. I personally believe that’s the best one can really do. And for me it honestly hasn’t led to a lot on the Facebook side (likes, etc) – a ton of sweat for minimal return. I get likes on photos, but it pretty well ends there. Nice place to “engage” and “have fun” but not really “drive” if that makes sense. Personally I’m focusing on other social networks, but that’s just me. A lot of traffic comes from FB, but it’s from other people – not my doing 🙂

Lauren Miller
      @lythiaren_ice

Thanks Lara! I really appreciate it!

Lara Elizabeth said:

Hi Lauren! I had trouble with this as well.  Most of my like boosts came from others sharing my page (like Jessica from Waggy Tales and Amanda from Dog Mom Days) and I also did some share exchanges with other dog pages, before I knew that requesting that was considered by some to be rude or tacky…

I just shared ZoePhee on my Rubicon Days page (as I’m more than happy to do so for pages/blogs I truly love!) and hope it gets you some new likes!

I have pretty much stopped promoting my FB page. I try to focus on posting cute dog memes, photos and videos a couple times a day, but not doing any more paid boosts or anything. I find it very discouraging as there just isn’t much engagement. I’m not sure why people are so hesitant to engage…even when I ask a direct and interesting question, I get maybe, at top, ten responses out of 1100 followers.

Lauren Miller
      @lythiaren_ice

Thanks Jen! That makes sense!

Jen deHaan | DOGthusiast.com said:

Lauren Miller
      @lythiaren_ice

Hi Jessica, yep! I’ve been trying to interact with other people’s pages, too! Liking and commenting on their content. 🙂

Jessica/YDWWYW/PetTalkMedia said:

Hi Lauren.

Have you tried anything else besides liking other people’s pages? Facebook is not a “like for like” community like Instagram and Twitter. Plus, if you liked pages from your page they very likely won’t know (only likes from personal profiles show in their like count; a page manager used to be able to see the pages that liked their page I think (although most never looked) but I haven’t been able to find that feature for a long time).

Besides placing an ad for people to like your page (not boosting posts – may work to increase engagement but not likes), the best thing to do is make sure you are posting good content and INTERACT with other pages as your page (like and comment on their posts).

Lauren Miller
      @lythiaren_ice

Hi Caren, I did not know that about FB!! Thank you for letting me know! What a silly thing for FB to do!!

Caren Osrin Gittleman said:

Didn’t know you had a page! Just liked it!! I was going to say what Jessica said above, if people like your page as a PAGE rather than from their personal profile/page (it will NOT SHOW). In order for the like to show, people have to like as themselves and not their page. I just left a comment on your page from Dakota, he ALWAYS likes people back who like him…………he liked your page (or I did from my personal page) and we are hoping you will like his page too if you haven’t already.

Lauren Miller
      @lythiaren_ice

Thanks everyone!! I really appreciate the replies!

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Hi Lauren!! You are most welcome!!! It’s just one of a zillion silly things that FB does lol

Lauren Miller said:

Hi Caren, I did not know that about FB!! Thank you for letting me know! What a silly thing for FB to do!!

Caren Osrin Gittleman said:

Geoffrey
      Participant
      @aimablecats

I find my greatest number of new likes when an established page shares mine.  I can never tell which one it will be.  Some pages have a Meet & Greet post where you are welcome to share your page in the comments.

Theresa Taylor
      @rufftalk4dogs

I am interested in the same.  Reading the tips provided. Some really great ideas. Thanks!

Geoffrey
      Participant
      @aimablecats

I just had an unexpected post get a lot more engagement then most of the rest of my facebook posts.

Then I realized why.

This was the complete preview as Facebook showed it; they had to click through to the Rhymes with Orange comic strip (web) page to see the whole image.  I started my facebook page at the end of June; this is my first post to reach 145 people, and it has reached 390 in less than 17 hours.  And it has had 34 people click through (also a record for me) to see the rest of the image, with a total of 57 people engaged to be married (whoops, they used the word for the wrong kind of engagement when they translated that column heading into French).

Debie Pettry
      @nirvanadog

I think it depends on your content. My blog has never been promoted except the occasional share on Twitter and I not long ago decided to start a FB page for it. Wish I hadn’t. It is very ego deflating to have a post that draws 7600 reads and when you share that same post to Facebook it gets 4 likes. Most of my shares get no likes. I then started sharing it to Google plus..and sometimes I get a like, rarely a comment. Yet at any given minute 24/7 there is activity on that blog. I decided that FB and G+ are a waste of my time. I find my audience on Twitter and from the stats the majority of them find me searching for the content I write about.

Justin Pitts
      @Dogrunner530

One thing people forget to do because they get so wrapped up in their own work (me too!) is not sharing media they haven’t created, other than boosting pages my likes have been mostly generated by finding videos or pictures that have some relevance I can discuss for follower engagement (usually in question form). I also create as many graphics or memes as possible.

Justin Pitts
      @Dogrunner530

Another peice of advice, it isn’t nearly as daunting working on social media if you have a social media management program. I use Coschedule so everything gets scheduled for all social media for a whole week within an hour.

Jason
      Participant
      @Jason

I heard that something like only 2% of your followers get to see your posts in their feeds, which is why it can be so hard to gain new followers. I have had a page for about 3 months and have a whopping 35 followers lol

Debie Pettry
      @nirvanadog

Facebook buries your page hoping you will buy advertising..It does help a tiny bit if you like the page as yourself and share it, ask friends to share it too. Ultimately you just have to break down and buy advertising..I refuse to do that, my blog has 108,000 hits but my FB page has 54- go figure.

Participant
      @adventurejess

@Jason That is true… initially. The way the algorithm works (formula that determines how many people see your stuff) is that Facebook initially only shows your post to 1-2% of your audience. If those people engage by liking, commenting, sharing, etc, then Facebook shows it to 3 – 5% of your audience. If those people engage then they show it to more and so on. That’s why it’s so important to know your audience and post content relevant to them so they will engage.

I understand how frustrating it can be to be try and try and never get past that 1-2% reach though. When I got dinged in the last big algorithm change (a couple years ago) it took me a solid year of posting, experimenting, and learning to really get a formula down that works for my page. The whole while I was just shooting in the dark with little or no response. I kept trying partly out of stubborn-ness and partly because I had faith that SOMETHING had to work. I will say that they key was posting more of what they wanted instead of what I wanted. I wanted to post about hiking with my dogs and topic on fitness and being active. I figured out that my audience was a lot of Dachshund fanatics that weren’t interested in that stuff and just wanted to see cute Dachshund pictures… so that is what I gave them at least 75% of the time. It kind of killed me to do it but now I am ok with it. There are a lot of things that go into the algorithm and one is how popular your page/posts are. If you give them a lot of “fluff” and they are engaged with it, Facebook is more likely to show the one “ask” you throw in (read something substantial like an article or blog post, vote, answer a question, etc that takes work) to more people out of the gate which increases your chances that a few of those first people will engage.

If you figure out they key above, you won’t be forced to buy advertising. I regularly get 10-30% reach on articles and blog posts and 25-100% reach (meaning that the reach number is at or more than the number of people that like my page) on photos.

Jason
      Participant
      @Jason

Yes since getting to the magic 30 likes I can see the insights and it’s interesting to see which posts worked best. It’s reassuring to hear that if you give your audience what it wants, facebook will improve your reach. Also I’m experimenting with the time of posting to see how that has an affect ie. morning, lunchtime, afternoon or evening – even in the middle of the night to see how followers in other countries interact.

https://www.facebook.com/talkingtoanimals

Participant
      @adventurejess

All great ideas Jason. You have to cast a wide net in order to get a good picture of what works then. 

Also, it’s really hard to know your audience when the numbers are still low. You can tend to have a broad spectrum of interests/values in the beginning.

I know many people are averse to ads and paying Facebook but ads really do work for targeting the audience you want to get more of them to like your page. It’s amazing how targeted you can get with the ads. I run ads for my clients and a well targeted ad for $5 or $10 a day for 5-7 days will usually draw 100-300 likes (sometimes as low as 50 bu that is rare). As a side note, I love Facebook ads for likes but I think boosting posts are a waste of money… especially when you have under 1k page likes.

Jason
      Participant
      @Jason

Yes I will certainly try some targeted ads in the future. Thanks for all the info.

Jessica/YDWWYW/PetTalkMedia said:

All great ideas Jason. You have to cast a wide net in order to get a good picture of what works then. 

Also, it’s really hard to know your audience when the numbers are still low. You can tend to have a broad spectrum of interests/values in the beginning.

I know many people are averse to ads and paying Facebook but ads really do work for targeting the audience you want to get more of them to like your page. It’s amazing how targeted you can get with the ads. I run ads for my clients and a well targeted ad for $5 or $10 a day for 5-7 days will usually draw 100-300 likes (sometimes as low as 50 bu that is rare). As a side note, I love Facebook ads for likes but I think boosting posts are a waste of money… especially when you have under 1k page likes.

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.