Home Forums Blog Talk New here! Feedback?

6 replies, 4 voices Last updated by Victoria 8 years, 8 months ago
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Verena Katerina Schleich
      @vschleich

Hey guys!

I’m pretty new to blogging in general, and VERY new to blogpaws!  I’d love any tips, feedback, comments etc. on both a) how to make the most out of blogpaws community and b) my blog (http://pawsitivelygenius.com/)

Also would love to be linked to some of your doggy blogs so I can get to know some people 🙂

Verena

Jenna Drady
      @markandjenna01

Hi Verena, I love your header. The layout you have for your blog is interesting. I don’t think I have ever seen a layout quite like it. May I ask if you plan on adding any sort of side bar to your blog where it would highlight things like your blog archive etc…. ? It’s very nice to meet you! Everyone here at BlogPaws are just fantastic. Keep up to date on their blog posts, and join in blog hops such as Wordless Wednesday for some exposure into the blogging community. Feel free to check out my blog here http://www.ownedbyahusky.ca

Victoria
      Participant
      @tashigant

Welcome! I echo Jenna’s thoughts on a sidebar. As it is now, you’ve got a very loooong homepage. It would be an asset to have a way to jump to posts easier or for new visitors to see some examples of your other posts without having to scroll so much. I also like to categorize my posts so that people can better find what they’re looking for (or avoid my personal posts, haha). I’m not sure categorization would be equally applicable for your blog, but it’s always there. 

I’m still getting a hang of BlogPaws myself, so we can learn together. Best of luck, and congrats on getting that little kitten adopted!

Verena Katerina Schleich
      @vschleich

Hey Jenna!

I did recently add a Archives page, so hopefully you find that more user-friendly 🙂 

Jenna Drady said:

Hi Verena, I love your header. The layout you have for your blog is interesting. I don’t think I have ever seen a layout quite like it. May I ask if you plan on adding any sort of side bar to your blog where it would highlight things like your blog archive etc…. ? It’s very nice to meet you! Everyone here at BlogPaws are just fantastic. Keep up to date on their blog posts, and join in blog hops such as Wordless Wednesday for some exposure into the blogging community. Feel free to check out my blog here http://www.ownedbyahusky.ca

Verena Katerina Schleich
      @vschleich

Thanks Victoria!

I more meant regarding content than layout (I should have been more specific!), but I appreciate the feedback regardless 🙂

Victoria said:

Welcome! I echo Jenna’s thoughts on a sidebar. As it is now, you’ve got a very loooong homepage. It would be an asset to have a way to jump to posts easier or for new visitors to see some examples of your other posts without having to scroll so much. I also like to categorize my posts so that people can better find what they’re looking for (or avoid my personal posts, haha). I’m not sure categorization would be equally applicable for your blog, but it’s always there. 

I’m still getting a hang of BlogPaws myself, so we can learn together. Best of luck, and congrats on getting that little kitten adopted!

Summer
      Participant
      @borderterriersruleOK

I agree with the others about the layout, but, as you have said you’re looking more for content feedback, I think you’re doing fine! I like how you appear to be combining your own experiences with some almost ‘hidden’ advice for your readers. I’m sure you’ll love being a member of BlogPaws, as we’re all such friendly, helpful people, mad about pets! 

My blog is Earl’s World! – sumskersandearlskers13.blogspot.com

Victoria
      Participant
      @tashigant

Got it! In that regard, I think your content, in terms of the articles you’re writing and the topics you’ve chosen, are spot on. You offer good, professional insight. However, again, an organizational system would definitely help first time visitors see that. On first visit, my initial impression was that you simply journal your experiences as a dog owner, with personal posts and such (your dog’s injury, foster kittens, etc). But it wasn’t until I scrolled for, well, a little longer than I’d usually be willing to, that I saw your feature stories about the drug searching dog, for instance.

If you’re looking for even more specific content-geared feedback, I’d say that you could possibly be a little more concise in your writing. This is something I think every writer needs to be reminded of every once in awhile, and I even though I’m going to school for writing, I still have to keep this in mind! You add a great personal element to your posts, which is one of your best assets as a personal dog blogger, but it’s important to find a balance between saying something concisely and adding that personal touch.

I hope none of this came across as too harsh! I’m an editor by nature, unfortunately. 

Verena Katerina Schleich said:

Thanks Victoria!

I more meant regarding content than layout (I should have been more specific!), but I appreciate the feedback regardless 🙂

Victoria said:

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.