6 replies, 3 voices Last updated by Emily Patterson-Kane 10 years, 9 months ago
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Nick Braun
      Participant
      @nick

Does anybody out there have experience with pet health insurance? I’d love to get people’s thoughts on the subject and would like to share stories and perspectives.  

Dr. Anna M. Coffin
      Participant
      @ACoffin

I’m a veterinarian and use VPI as a staff benefit.  They are easy to work with and I have never had problems with payments.  I wish more pet parents would purchase it as I see many unfortunate outcomes to some circumstances.  Most all pet insurances are indemnity insurance and they normally don’t dictate what vet you use or specify treatments.

Nick Braun
      Participant
      @nick

Dr. Coffin,

Thanks for the thoughtful response – I could not agree more! We are building support from the veterinary community and I’d love to feature you on our blog. We ask veterinarians 10 questions and then post them on our blog. This gives pet owners real perspective on pet insurance from the source. If you’d be willing to answer these questions we’ll add a link to your blog or clinic website. Thanks! Nick

1. Why did you decide to become a veterinarian?
      2. Tell us about your pets
      3. Where did you go to veterinary school?
      4. What’s the most expensive veterinary treatment you’ve experienced?
      5. What’s the most common $1,000+ treatment you see?
      6. What is the best advancement in veterinary medicine in the past 10 years?
      7. When is the first time you were introduced to the idea of pet insurance?
      8. Tell us about your best pet insurance claim story
      9. What would you recommend pet owners look for in a pet insurance company?
      10. Your general thoughts on the future of pet insurance in the U.S.

Dr. Anna M. Coffin said:

I’m a veterinarian and use VPI as a staff benefit.  They are easy to work with and I have never had problems with payments.  I wish more pet parents would purchase it as I see many unfortunate outcomes to some circumstances.  Most all pet insurances are indemnity insurance and they normally don’t dictate what vet you use or specify treatments.

Dr. Anna M. Coffin
      Participant
      @ACoffin

1.  When I was in Jr. High I found my dog dead on the side of the road.  Someone had hit him with a car and left him to die alone.  From that point on I knew that I wanted to be a veterinarian.

2.  I have 3 Weimaraners, one small mixed breed dog, 1 Russian Blue cat, an Yellow Napped Amazon Parrot and a Sulcata African Grassland Tortiose.

3.  I graduated from Oklahoma State University in 1994

4.  I have a client with a male cat that has had to have three separate urethral surgeries at different times but for the same problem.

5.  Cranial cruciate rupture repair

6.  Digital radiology and stem cell therapy is just starting to take off.

7.  I’ve offered pet insurance as a staff benefit for the last 10 years.

8.  My best pet insurance claim story is when I get paid for working on my own dogs because I have pet insurance on them!  But seriously, my favorites are pets that are saved because they have insurance and would not be able to afford proper treatment and would have to euthanize if they didn’t have it.

9.  Price and turn around time for payment. 

10.  I hope that pet insurance will continue to grow in the U.S. like it has in Europe.  Many veterinarians are starting to offer wellness plans at discounted prices for preventative care which will help but they still need to have major medical coverage.

My website is http://www.guthriepet.net.  It’s got my whole life story and great pictures of my fur kids!

Nick Braun
      Participant
      @nick

Awesome – thanks so much! I will post to our blog tomorrow and add links to your website!

Dr. Anna M. Coffin said:

1.  When I was in Jr. High I found my dog dead on the side of the road.  Someone had hit him with a car and left him to die alone.  From that point on I knew that I wanted to be a veterinarian.

2.  I have 3 Weimaraners, one small mixed breed dog, 1 Russian Blue cat, an Yellow Napped Amazon Parrot and a Sulcata African Grassland Tortiose.

3.  I graduated from Oklahoma State University in 1994

4.  I have a client with a male cat that has had to have three separate urethral surgeries at different times but for the same problem.

5.  Cranial cruciate rupture repair

6.  Digital radiology and stem cell therapy is just starting to take off.

7.  I’ve offered pet insurance as a staff benefit for the last 10 years.

8.  My best pet insurance claim story is when I get paid for working on my own dogs because I have pet insurance on them!  But seriously, my favorites are pets that are saved because they have insurance and would not be able to afford proper treatment and would have to euthanize if they didn’t have it.

9.  Price and turn around time for payment. 

10.  I hope that pet insurance will continue to grow in the U.S. like it has in Europe.  Many veterinarians are starting to offer wellness plans at discounted prices for preventative care which will help but they still need to have major medical coverage.

My website is http://www.guthriepet.net.  It’s got my whole life story and great pictures of my fur kids!

Dr. Anna M. Coffin
      Participant
      @ACoffin

What’s your blog address so I can follow?

Emily Patterson-Kane
      @rattitude

I looked into insurance when I had a much lower income and a new immigrant with no credit (so could not use credit cards), but never bought any as it was all reimbursement based.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.