Home Forums Be The Change Puppy Mill “Rescue”

9 replies, 9 voices Last updated by Sarah (Sadie) 9 years, 5 months ago
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Chelsea Price
      Participant
      @chels_335

For those of you also involved in rescue, I have a question.  A family member of mine recently purchased a puppy at a flea market from some sort of backyard breeder.  When I asked her for more details, she described the cages and conditions of the other puppies, and it was quite clearly a puppy mill.  

Though I myself choose to rescue, I have no issue with going through reputable breeders to purchase a dog.  However, buying dogs from a pet store or known puppy mill is a definite no-no for me.  The family member keeps insisting to others that she “rescued” the puppy.  I understand that it can feel like a rescue – it certainly feels good to know that you’re taking a dog out of such horrible conditions – but it’s not a rescue, as it only encourages the mill to breed more unhealthy dogs.  Right?  

Would you say anything to correct her in this situation?  Or just go along with her telling others that her new puppy is a rescue?  It sounds silly, but I feel a little bit…hurt.  I work in rescue and have tried to go out of my way to let others know how important it is to avoid backyard breeders and pet stores, and it just kind of disappoints me that, in this case with my family member, my voice was not heard – or ignored.  Please share your opinions on this with me!

TXpups
      Participant
      @txpups3

I’d definitely set her straight, or at least give her more information about puppy mills. We rescued Tahoe, but bought Comet and Lucy from reputable breeders (we do our research!) We definitely believe in rescuing, but we’re fine with breeding as long as the dogs are treated amazingly.

Kelsie McKenzie
      Participant
      @kelsie

: / Your family member didn’t rescue the dog, she supported a backyard breeder. Paying these kinds of breeders for their puppies only allows them to do more terrible breeding. A similar thing just happened to me with family. I was hurt as well, but kept my mouth shut (only because of who it was).

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

So this is really upsetting and I can relate. I do not hide that my dog came from a very reputable breeder I researched, etc and I also am heavily involved in pet rescue. I have rescued and will again. 

That said, my brother did the same thing to me. I spent years educating him on puppy mills, if a dog is something he wants to share life with, to come to me, etc. And he up and one day just gets a dog from a backyard breeder. It broke my heart, too. 

I didn’t say anything because I didn’t want to harm our relationship, but it does bother me. He is not of the ilk I am and he wouldn’t “get” it anyways. And yes, your family member did save a puppy but a puppy miller will just replace and replace and breed and breed. 

You might want to talk to them, tell them the horrors and that you love all animals, but maybe show them a quick 30 second video or ask if you can share some things that places like this don’t want innocent buyers to know.

Does that help?

Jen | DOGthusiast&FoundPixel.com
      Participant
      @kidderton

I feel for you, it’s really tough. I haven’t had this exact scenario one, but a similar one in the family. 

My recommendation would be to take the anger and passion and push it into educating others – not the family member necessarily or point blank confrontation. Even so much as writing an article about how a dog purchased in that scenario is not “rescued” and why. And of course the topic of why supporting dogs at these flea markets means more dogs suffer.

Then you don’t need a stressful conversation (that honestly won’t really change what has already been done), but will help and maybe change the minds of others instead. Of course, if they actively follow your blog it could be worth at least a passing mention in the event they read it and feel offended. If the real root of it is she feels embarrassed about an impulse decision, then perhaps that will come out in the process.

Melissa K.
      Participant
      @thereturns7

I am so sorry that you are in this situation.  I believe that saying anything will do nothing but cause hard feelings with the family member.  You may say something in private, but if you confront them in front of others, it won’t go well.  They definitely did not technically rescue a puppy, but furthered to support puppy mills by lining the pockets of an unconscionable breeder. 

Ian Thomson
      @doglover.thomson521

It’s not rescuing it’s just funding the puppy mills to carry on with there trade, if people buy from puppy mills it just encourages them to carry on. The only way to save them poor dogs is through eeducating the public and making them aware of puppy mills and how to recognise the signs, puppy mill owners thrive on money if there’s no business for them hopefully they will stop trading. I would have to say something myself to make sure it didn’t happen again it might feel good getting a puppy mill dog but all you dòing is ensures the suffering of the remaining dogs.

Littlethings
      @jhaef126

I ABSOLUTELY would say something to her. I completely agree with you 100% & also stand firmly on this subject, “it’s not a rescue, as it only encourages the mill to breed more unhealthy dogs”. I couldn’t have said it better myself.

Perhaps you could try to explain to her the difference between a puppy mill & an animal shelter (or rescue). Maybe she doesn’t know there is a difference. I mean this in the nicest way, there are a lot of ignorant people out there & if we don’t educate them, who will? IMO it’s the ignorant or uninformed people who buy from puppy mills. Please explain to your friend the difference between a shelter & a puppy mill…. maybe she will understand that purchasing (or ‘rescuing’ as I’m sure she calls it) from a puppy mill only SUPPORTS the HORRIBLE conditions & breeding of a puppy mill & is not in fact a true ‘rescue’ at all.

Everyone makes mistakes, maybe she’ll be informed for next time if you tell her now.

Good luck, I hope I didn’t come off too harsh. This subject really gets to me. 🙁

Chelsea Price
      Participant
      @chels_335

Thank you all for your kind words and support.  I decided, in the end, just to ignore the subject when around her.  I felt like bringing it up would be more trouble than it’s worth.  However, her puppy has been having some minor health issues, and if they keep up, I will suggest that it is most likely due to being from a mill.  

Your comments definitely helped, though.  I felt like I was going crazy, since I started to even question myself, “Is that considered a rescue?”  This just reassured and reminded me of what to say when someone else brings this up to me.

Sarah (Sadie)
      Participant
      @sadiemae.co

Right! 

As mom of two PM Rescues, I admit whole-heartedly that I was ignorant to Puppy Mills until I made up my mind that I wanted a dog.  I did research for nearly a year before rescuing Henry and WOW, did I have my eyes opened.  Puppy Mills and Backyard breeders will insist they are not (PM’s and Backyard Breeders) and when you want a puppy it’s very easy to see the truth you want to see.  Perhaps you could find a way to explain the situation to her without making her feel like she has contributed to the problem.  “Yes, your dog is safe and that’s great.  If you want to help the others please share information about your experience and how they convinced you they were not a mill.”   Maybe tell her you’re writing a post about how to identify reputable vs. disreputable breeders and you would like to share her story and include her feedback.  Yes, you’ll be calling her out.  You have experience behind you. 

It is a test for us with family members for sure but we have to start there.  I guess it comes down to what matters most to you; keeping the peace within your family or creating peace for the animals?  You don’t seem at peace with the situation or you wouldn’t be asking the question.  I wish you the best of luck (heart at peace).

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.