Home Forums Life Happens: Everyday musings and issues in life Shaken and upset..how to handle emotions in animal welfare advocacy?

4 replies, 2 voices Last updated by Anne McIlhany 9 years, 1 month ago
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Anne McIlhany
      @blessallthepets

Hello fellow pet friends,

I’ve been involved in pet rescue, adoption, fostering, etc. for years – and I love it. So much so that I just started a blog, which is why I’m here. 😉

Here’s my problem, and I hope someone can help me.  While scrolling through Twitter or other social media, I often run into horrific-beyond-words images and info about the atrocities committed against animals. Let me be clear: this is IMPORTANT, and I know this – awareness has to be there, and I applaud the brave souls who put this info out there.

My problem is that I become so emotionally devastated that it can leave me shaking, sobbing, and emotionally torn up for, well – a long time. I mean for days. And it’s so hard to get the images and thoughts out of my head. This also affects my family, because my poor husband, kids, and pets see me just losing it, and it is unhealthy for all of us. It’s hard to be a positive advocate when you are emotionally feeling just torn apart…

I guess what I’m getting at is this: how do you all deal with issues like this – how do you deal with the fact that there is horror out there in the world of animals, and yet not completely lose it emotionally? How can I be a helpful animal advocate if I cannot handle the really bad stuff out there? 

I’m reaching out for help here b/c I just came across some incredibly distressing images on Twitter – things the world does need to know about, but I just cannot handle it. 🙁 

Any words of comfort, wisdom or insight for me?

Thank you so much for listening….

Anne

Jen | DOGthusiast&FoundPixel.com
      Participant
      @kidderton

I agree with you – it’s terrible. Personally I unfollow and mute/block accounts that share these images (I used to come across tons of it when doing the advocate stuff). I find them irresponsible and unnecessary (I don’t agree with the need for sharing them – studies have shown that creativity or well-written words actually trumps shock tactics. I do know the camp that doesn’t believe this, but I personally side with the studies). 

Regardless, my feelings are here in this long post http://dogthusiast.com/2012/07/30/shock-and-blame-animal-advocacy/

You won’t get rid of *all* the images of course, but unfollowing and blocking accounts who regularly posts them will vastly reduce what you do see. There are so, so many accounts out there doing welfare and advocacy, there are enough to follow that use positive and creative images to get the message across.

And at the end of the day, if this doesn’t solve it, evaluate your need to use social media – whether using these accounts outweighs the stress induced by them. Because honestly I haven’t yet been on any social network worth several days of intense distress (so much crossposting out there is just blanket spam to anywhere and everywhere without thought to audience – it really has to be done in effective ways and so little of it ever is – effective crossposting won’t involve these kinds of images, or often twitter at all). Heck, I doubt social media is worth even several hours of stress. Life is simply too short, and those several days could be spent volunteering/advocating in such better more effective ways. Really need to get the pros/cons list going once the emotion is gone, logic prevails, and see which one wins.

Good luck, and I’m so sorry you ran into that stuff in such an intense way 🙁

Anne McIlhany
      @blessallthepets

Hey Jen,

I really can’t thank you enough for your reply, and for sharing your post. It was brilliant – and I’m not exaggerating.

I am so relieved to hear about the evidence demonstrating that the “shock” tactics are counterproductive, and that positive messages are more powerful.

I had felt a sense of guilt because I thought I just wasn’t strong enough to deal with those kinds of things – that “real” advocates COULD…. but reading your POV, your post, and the links – well it just has made me feel so much better. And I needed that today. So much. I think a lot of people need that message!

I love the POV about not blaming the general public – shaming people will not solve the problem of pets in shelters – so, so true. I will need to keep a sharp eye on the language and tone I use, so as not to fall into that trap. 

Anyway – I believe I can keep using social media – I have positive messages to share – lots of them really! And I’m reaching out and connecting with so many other advocates that also use a positive message.

When I wrote earlier, I was reeling from what I had seen – so my post reflected that… thankfully, 99% of the people I follow on social media spread the message in a caring, humane, and SANE manner. The other 1% – well, when I run into them, I’ll block them, and I won’t feel bad about it. : )

Thank you again for taking the time to respond – it helped me more than you know. And I’m sharing that post you linked – BRAVO for your message – let’s keep it spreading!

Warm regards,

Anne  

Jen | DOGthusiast&FoundPixel.com said:

I agree with you – it’s terrible. Personally I unfollow and mute/block accounts that share these images (I used to come across tons of it when doing the advocate stuff). I find them irresponsible and unnecessary (I don’t agree with the need for sharing them – studies have shown that creativity or well-written words actually trumps shock tactics. I do know the camp that doesn’t believe this, but I personally side with the studies). 

Regardless, my feelings are here in this long post http://dogthusiast.com/2012/07/30/shock-and-blame-animal-advocacy/

You won’t get rid of *all* the images of course, but unfollowing and blocking accounts who regularly posts them will vastly reduce what you do see. There are so, so many accounts out there doing welfare and advocacy, there are enough to follow that use positive and creative images to get the message across.

And at the end of the day, if this doesn’t solve it, evaluate your need to use social media – whether using these accounts outweighs the stress induced by them. Because honestly I haven’t yet been on any social network worth several days of intense distress (so much crossposting out there is just blanket spam to anywhere and everywhere without thought to audience – it really has to be done in effective ways and so little of it ever is – effective crossposting won’t involve these kinds of images, or often twitter at all). Heck, I doubt social media is worth even several hours of stress. Life is simply too short, and those several days could be spent volunteering/advocating in such better more effective ways. Really need to get the pros/cons list going once the emotion is gone, logic prevails, and see which one wins.

Good luck, and I’m so sorry you ran into that stuff in such an intense way 🙁

Jen | DOGthusiast&FoundPixel.com
      Participant
      @kidderton

Thank you SO much for the kind words. There isn’t anything I love more about blogging than knowing someone read and enjoyed a post 🙂 So thank you so much for that kind feedback. And YES about keeping that message spreading! I’m really happy to be back to blogging about this kind of thing (opinion posts and similar) and can help get these kinds of messages around/heard… by willing ears, anyway.

Glad to “meet” you!

Anne McIlhany
      @blessallthepets

Thanks Jen – and so nice to “meet” you as well! I look forward to keeping up with your posts. The more voices like yours in the pet blogging community, the better!

See ya around! : )

Anne

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.