Home Forums Blogging Tips & Tricks Spam comments!

9 replies, 8 voices Last updated by Paul Mather – Snowdog Guru 9 years, 9 months ago
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Torey and Kristen
      @wagworkwine

Hi! 

We’re having a terrible time with SPAM comments. Luckily, the filter we have catches a lot of them, but we still wake up to an email inbox filled with comments awaiting approval/spam flagging every day. Does anyone have a good wordpress plugin that can help?

-Torey & Kristen

http://www.wagworkwine.com 

Spam comments, oddly enough, are a good sign. It means your blog is being found.It’s annoying, though. Akismet is the best I’ve found for catching spam while seldom catching legitimate comments. 

Jessica/YDWWYW/PetTalkMedia
      Participant
      @adventurejess

I use Akismet but do get an average of Spam comments every day caught in that box. I tend to look through them quickly because on occasion a legitimate comment has been caught in there. 99.8% of the time there isn’t though so if I am a real hurry I just delete them.

I know some people that use the Disquss comment system and they say it prevents spam (not sure how or if it also ends up in a spam box). “Anti-spam” is another plugin for WordPress but I have not used it.

I agree that more spam = more popular blog…or at least that is what I like to tell myself 🙂

I’ve had trouble with “Anti-Spam” catching quite a lot of legitimate comments while being no better than Akismet at catching spam.  

FWIW I use Disqus commenting system on a work blog and get spam there too. It does have more tweaks to blacklist, whitelist or allow only commenters of a certain rank, though. Might be worth a try, and it does have a WordPress plug in. I personally haven’t found it more effective, but I haven’t used it that long, and I do have all comments moderated for that particular blog.

If the spammers can find the blog, so can legitimate readers. Too bad there’s not a way to hide the blog from just the spammers!

Jessica/YDWWYW/PetTalkMedia said:

I use Akismet but do get an average of Spam comments every day caught in that box. I tend to look through them quickly because on occasion a legitimate comment has been caught in there. 99.8% of the time there isn’t though so if I am a real hurry I just delete them.

I know some people that use the Disquss comment system and they say it prevents spam (not sure how or if it also ends up in a spam box). “Anti-spam” is another plugin for WordPress but I have not used it.

I agree that more spam = more popular blog…or at least that is what I like to tell myself 🙂

Stefanie Preston
      @stefanie

I use Disqus and have found it helpful to block certain words. I was getting so many spam messages for things like wedding dresses, Louis Vuitton, Prada, and other designer knock off sites that I decided to block those words. So if you ever leave me a comment and mention designer labels it might not get approved right away. 🙂

Excellent! I had a feeling there was something I was missing with Disqus. Hmmm May have to give that technique a try… at work or on blog or both. 🙂 Thanks!

Stefanie Preston said:

I use Disqus and have found it helpful to block certain words. I was getting so many spam messages for things like wedding dresses, Louis Vuitton, Prada, and other designer knock off sites that I decided to block those words. So if you ever leave me a comment and mention designer labels it might not get approved right away. 🙂

Sharon Seltzer
      @sjseltzer

I had this problem too and it was driving me crazy.  I use WordPress for my blog and added a plug in called En Spam.  I found it on http://codex.wordpress.org/.  It was free, came highly rated and EASY to install.  I haven’t had a problem since and I find it automatically posts a user comment if you have approved it for a previous post.

Good luck.

Dash
      Participant
      @whskr

I find Disqua frustrating and unfriendly, but find Akismet get a lot of comments. I think everyone gets a few a day. * sigh * These people spend their lives finding ways to comment but kudos to akisment it grabs most of them – If only people were not dumb enough to click through to the sites we would not get these issues.

I will check out En Spam as well. Thanks for the tip!

Summer
      Participant
      @borderterriersruleOK

Spam comments have been bombarding me recently, however since I have backed off on social media for my blog, they seem to have stopped! Whether this is a coincidence or means something is alien to me, but I am much less annoyed now! Possibly the social media exposure boosted by blogs exposure too while I was at it. 

Disqus proved unhelpful to me in many fields, so I no longer bother with it. I have no reason to now I am lucky enough to receive 1, 2 or 0 spam comments a day, if I am unlucky enough!! 

Paul Mather – Snowdog Guru
      @paulwmather

Definitely install and configure Akismet plugin but also in the WordPress blog settings do the following:

Settings >> Discussion >> Hold a comment in the queue if it contains x links

I would set this number to 1. The majority of comments do not contain links and the majority of spam comments do. So this is a good way to keep the comment hidden from the live blog view.

Keeping spam comments, especially those that contain links out of the public view is important for a few reasons. 1. Users may click the links, which are often malwar riddled. 2. Search engines will frown upon your blog if it contains too many links to questionable sources.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.