Home Forums Blogging Tips & Tricks Status bar app – help?

24 replies, 6 voices Last updated by Bax Cat & Co. 11 years, 8 months ago
Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author

Bax Cat & Co.
      @baxcatandco

Hi all, I have a question (or 5)!  I’m brand new to BlogPaws today, and I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong!  I added the Status bar app, because I want my Facebook status updates to come through on my BlogPaws wall as well. 

I followed the instructions here: http://community.blogpaws.com/group/blogpawscommunitytipsandtricks/forum/topics/adding-and-managing-apps

but when I type in: http://www.facebook.com/baxcatandco for my facebook url, no status shows up.  Am I supposed to be entering a different URL, instead?

Along the same lines, do people connect their BlogPaws blog pages with some sort of feed to pull in their blogs from offsite?  How is that accomplished?!

And finally, is there a badge I can add to my offsite blog that says I’m a BlogPaws community member? 

I love this site, so happy that I found you today!  Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom and pointing me in the right direction =^-^=

Ian Thomson
      @doglover.thomson521

http://community.blogpaws.com/main/embeddable/list  Here’s the link for the badge. Sorry i can’t help with the rest of you questions.

ps welcome to BlogPaws.

Bax Cat & Co.
      @baxcatandco

Thanks Ian, that was helpful!  Now I just need to hear from others about the Facebook status update question.  Appreciate your help!

~Kelly

Ian Thomson said:

http://community.blogpaws.com/main/embeddable/list  Here’s the link for the badge. Sorry i can’t help with the rest of you questions.

ps welcome to BlogPaws.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Hi Bax Cat and welcome!

Since I am not super great technologically I am going to make sure someone sees your question, but in the meantime….on your profile page on the left hand side of the page under your photo it says “GET THE BADGE” for BlogPaws….you click on it and follow the instructions.

We are so happy you found us too!!!

I am going to share the rest of your questions!

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

ooops! Sent the badge stuff before I saw Ian helped you 🙂

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Bax Cat have you created a profile page yet? If not, that could be the problem. I clicked on your name to send you a friend request and i don’t see a profile page for you. If you haven’t created one, please do and I have a feeling that is going to solve your problem

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

sorry I goofed again! You do have a profile page, I need to wake up 🙂

Bax Cat & Co.
      @baxcatandco

UPDATED:

– Still don’t know what I’m doing wrong about the Facebook feed, and am looking for your help

– I figured out how to pull my blog listings into my BlogPaws profile page, so please disregard that

– I found the BlogPaws badge, so please disregard that

Thank you!

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Bax I forwarded your comment to someone from BlogPaws who I think can help you……thanks for your patience in advance! 🙂

Bax Cat & Co. said:

UPDATED:

– Still don’t know what I’m doing wrong about the Facebook feed, and am looking for your help

– I figured out how to pull my blog listings into my BlogPaws profile page, so please disregard that

– I found the BlogPaws badge, so please disregard that

Thank you!

Bax Cat & Co.
      @baxcatandco

Thank you Caren!  I look forward to hearing from them (I’m probably missing a really simple step that is right in front of my nose!)

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

you are welcome!! I am probably missing it too!! 🙂

Bax Cat & Co. said:

Thank you Caren!  I look forward to hearing from them (I’m probably missing a really simple step that is right in front of my nose!)

Tom
      Participant
      @tom1

Hi All,

I had not tried the “Status” app, or the “Twitter tracker” and had no better luck than you in figuring out how the Status one is supposed to work with Facebook. I put in a help ticket to see if we can bend it to our will! Bwaaa-ha-ha! ;-D

Meanwhile, I was able to come up with a potential work-around, using the Swiss Army Knife of most online platforms: the Text Box.

If you add another Text Box to your layout, you can paste in the Facebook Social Plugin. I used the “Like Box” social plugin and adjusted the settings to 480×480 and unchecked the “show header” box.

Then, in the Get Code options, I chose the iFrame code and pasted it into the HTML view of my text box and clicked Save. Here’s the result:

I’ll let you know if I get a useful answer on the Status app, but hope this might provide an alternative.

Tom

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

@Tom OOOOH I like that work around. Nice!

Tom
      Participant
      @tom1

Hope it helps, Carol.

And I just noticed I forgot to paste in the link to the Facebook Social Plugins “Like Box” page:

http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/plugins/like-box/

Bax Cat & Co.
      @baxcatandco

THANK YOU, TOM!  I like the way you think 🙂

As far as I can tell about the Status app, you would need to find your Facebook RSS feed for your status updates and paste that into the app where it asks.  You’d think that was simple enough, but apparently that RSS url is a tricky little piece of info that is ever-changing.  I did a search online and nobody seems to have a straightforward working method of finding that RSS url.

When I have a bit of time I will follow your workaround instructions!  Thanks for taking the time to play with that & find an alternative way:)

Tom
      Participant
      @tom1

Quite welcome! That’s why they keep letting me hang around! ;-D

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Tom thanks so much for fielding the question!!!! Forgot to thank you yesterday

Tom Collins said:

Quite welcome! That’s why they keep letting me hang around! ;-D

Christie
      Participant
      @czizo

How DO I get my Blog Paws page to automatically pull my blog content? Also, how do I embed the blogpaws badge? I’m using a blogger template for my site.

Caren
      Participant
      @cgittleman

Hi Christie,

for the badge you would copy the embed code and go to your HTML gadget on Blogger and copy it in there. That will display your badge.

I think for adding your blogs here (but I haven’t done it in so long that I don’t remember, someone else probably knows more than I do)….you can do that from your main profile page……isn’t there something where you update your profile that has that?

christie zizo said:

How DO I get my Blog Paws page to automatically pull my blog content? Also, how do I embed the blogpaws badge? I’m using a blogger template for my site.

Bax Cat & Co.
      @baxcatandco

Hi Christie,

I forget how I did my rss feed… BUT if you search in apps for RSS, there’s an app in there!  Maybe search “blogs” in apps, too?  Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful!

Good luck!  Hopefully someone out there remembers!

Bax Cat & Co.
      @baxcatandco

Hi Tom, it’s me again! 

I finally had time to sit down and follow your workaround instructions today… but apparently I am not doing it right!

I added another text box (through “apps”)… then went to the FB site you gave, picked my specifications (which I know worked because I see the preview changing as I check/uncheck/re-size, etc)… grabbed the iframe code… drumroll please…

Back on BlogPaws, back to my text box, click on “settings” and paste the iframe code… hit save… and nothing shows up!  This may sound silly, but does any code need to be before or after the iframe code?  Right now my text box setting box is blank, and I dropped in the iframe code. 

We’re getting closer, but I need one more nudge of your help with this before I go crazy!  =^-^=

~Kelly

Tom
      Participant
      @tom1

Hi Kelly,

Not sure, but you might have missed the step right after you clicked “settings” in your text box, you need to click the HTML button in the editor before you paste in the code from FB.

Does that make sense?

Tom

Bax Cat & Co. said:

Hi Tom, it’s me again! 

I finally had time to sit down and follow your workaround instructions today… but apparently I am not doing it right!

I added another text box (through “apps”)… then went to the FB site you gave, picked my specifications (which I know worked because I see the preview changing as I check/uncheck/re-size, etc)… grabbed the iframe code… drumroll please…

Back on BlogPaws, back to my text box, click on “settings” and paste the iframe code… hit save… and nothing shows up!  This may sound silly, but does any code need to be before or after the iframe code?  Right now my text box setting box is blank, and I dropped in the iframe code. 

We’re getting closer, but I need one more nudge of your help with this before I go crazy!  =^-^=

~Kelly

Bax Cat & Co.
      @baxcatandco

Hi Tom, I have searched high and low for an HTML button!  Once I add the text box and click on “settings” to the right of the new box, the screen that follows (image attached attached) does not give me an html option.

Side note: if I click on “edit” instead “settings”, I am directed to my “my settings” page (which also does not have an html button). 

Sorry to be a pain, I really want to use your workaround!  I -really- appreciate your help 🙂

Tom
      Participant
      @tom1

Well, Kelly, now I’m stumped, at least temporarily. The text box I used for the FB workaround on my page has a simplified set of editor tools, including an HTML button, when I click to edit. But I added another text box at the bottom to walk through it again with screenshots and, like yours, no HTML button. And just pasting the same code in didn’t work for me, either.

I’ll have to look into it some more … sorry!

Bax Cat & Co. said:

Hi Tom, I have searched high and low for an HTML button!  Once I add the text box and click on “settings” to the right of the new box, the screen that follows (image attached attached) does not give me an html option.

Side note: if I click on “edit” instead “settings”, I am directed to my “my settings” page (which also does not have an html button). 

Sorry to be a pain, I really want to use your workaround!  I -really- appreciate your help 🙂

Bax Cat & Co.
      @baxcatandco

Strange!  But good, at least I’m doing the process correctly and am not just crazy!  I’ll keep playing with it over here, too and talk to you again at some point when one of us has an update.

Thanks for working on this!

Tom Collins said:

Well, Kelly, now I’m stumped, at least temporarily. The text box I used for the FB workaround on my page has a simplified set of editor tools, including an HTML button, when I click to edit. But I added another text box at the bottom to walk through it again with screenshots and, like yours, no HTML button. And just pasting the same code in didn’t work for me, either.

I’ll have to look into it some more … sorry!

Bax Cat & Co. said:

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.