Home Forums Blogging Tips & Tricks “The Smart Passive Income” App

16 replies, 6 voices Last updated by Anonymous 9 years, 10 months ago
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

I have been closely following Pat Flynn’s Smart Passive Income Blog & Podcast for the last 2 months. He shares a ton of valuable information about SEO and general layout & design ideas to get the most bang out of your blog. He recently came out with his own free app, available both on his website as well as on the iTunes store.

One of his key points is to always stay true to yourself, and to stand out by being unique!

http://www.smartpassiveincome.com

Leah Erb
      @leah

“…the crash dummy of online business…”  What a fabulous find, thank you for passing that on Barbara!

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Absolutely! I listen to his podcast whenever I can, usually in the car! Enjoy!!

Leah Erb said:

“…the crash dummy of online business…”  What a fabulous find, thank you for passing that on Barbara!

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

Staying true and consistent and with a blogging plan you follow are my keys – thanks for this, Barbara 😉

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

😉 

Carol Bryant said:

Staying true and consistent and with a blogging plan you follow are my keys – thanks for this, Barbara 😉

Walter King
      @Waltervking3

Pat is really one of the greats!  I found him a couple years ago and have learned a lot about online business.  Problem is, I just keep consuming, not producing!

Another resource I have recently found is Fizzle.  They are an online resource to help build your blog, or podcast, or any online business, really.  

Here is a link to the site for anyone interested: Fizzle: Honest Online Biz Training (referral link)

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

😉 He does offer such a huge variety of solutions, which makes it indeed time consuming to incorporate them!

When I first started listening to his podcast, it was while I was at home and able to take notes at the same time. Then I discovered his show notes! Very convenient ~ and enabling me to listen to the podcast while driving. When I hear something I feel very strongly about, I copy the show notes into a pages/word document, upload it to our project management software, where I then link it to a specific milestone.

Otherwise I’d just forget about the info!

A few things I’ve incorporated so far are mainly geared towards easy digestibility of our content ~ larger font then I was originally using (now using size 12, he even suggests 14), smaller paragraphs, more headers in between paragraphs. Also made sure to incorporate a clickable picture of myself on the upper right sidebar with my two dogs while enjoying a cup of coffee (to go along with the theme of my blog “Canines Over Coffee”), which then takes the reader to a “Meet Barbara” post. All that to make the website more personal, and to get people to associate a face with the content they’re absorbing.

Ideas which I loved but still needing to be tackled are the creation of an e-book and the optimization of our email newsletter.

Thank you very much for sharing the link to Fizzle ~ I will check it out tomorrow!

Walter King said:

Pat is really one of the greats!  I found him a couple years ago and have learned a lot about online business.  Problem is, I just keep consuming, not producing!

Another resource I have recently found is Fizzle.  They are an online resource to help build your blog, or podcast, or any online business, really.  

Here is a link to the site for anyone interested: Fizzle: Honest Online Biz Training (referral link)

Walter King
      @Waltervking3

They say 14 is the new 12!  Your site looks awesome.  I have just gotten started with mine and it’s taking awhile (much longer than I would like) to get it looking even sort of decent.  I’m not concerned with getting it perfect, but…

I was wondering what theme you are using.  I’m assuming you’re on WordPress?  Mine is the Responsive Theme, but I really like how your photos load.

Barbara Rivers said:

😉 He does offer such a huge variety of solutions, which makes it indeed time consuming to incorporate them!

When I first started listening to his podcast, it was while I was at home and able to take notes at the same time. Then I discovered his show notes! Very convenient ~ and enabling me to listen to the podcast while driving. When I hear something I feel very strongly about, I copy the show notes into a pages/word document, upload it to our project management software, where I then link it to a specific milestone.

A few things I’ve incorporated so far are mainly geared towards easy digestibility of our content ~ larger font then I was originally using (now using size 12, he even suggests 14), smaller paragraphs, more headers in between paragraphs. Also made sure to incorporate a clickable picture of myself on the upper right sidebar with my two dogs while enjoying a cup of coffee (to go along with the theme of my blog “Canines Over Coffee”), which then takes the reader to a “Meet Barbara” post. All that to make the website more personal, and to get people to associate a face with the content they’re absorbing.

Ideas which I loved but still needing to be tackled are the creation of an e-book and the optimization of our email newsletter.

Thank you very much for sharing the link to Fizzle ~ I will check it out tomorrow!

Walter King said:

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Thank you, so glad for the positive feedback! I tried the 14 size font on a few posts, but just thought that it was a tad too big…maybe I’ll try it out again! 

Yes, we’re on WordPress, and the theme we’re using is the “Bazooka” one (edited it some with code.),

We just recently invested in the Visual Composer Widget ($ 30). It makes writing and editing a piece of cake and very fun, too! You can choose between a variety of different layouts for photos.

Walter King said:

They say 14 is the new 12!  Your site looks awesome.  I have just gotten started with mine and it’s taking awhile (much longer than I would like) to get it looking even sort of decent.  I’m not concerned with getting it perfect, but…

I was wondering what theme you are using.  I’m assuming you’re on WordPress?  Mine is the Responsive Theme, but I really like how your photos load.

Barbara Rivers said:

Walter King said:

Bets Richards- Sweet. Dog. Life.
      @betsrichards1225

Wow! Thank you so much for posting this! I keep finding all of these hidden gems on BlogPaws and it is so super awesome! Great tips!

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Ditto, I do too! Joining BlogPaws has been one of my better ideas lately 😉

P.S.: I need to correct myself: Pat Flynn recommends font-size 16 (which he calls the new 14). Just can’t bring myself to go that large though ~ I did, however, up the font-size on our posts from 12 to 14 this past weekend.

Walter King
      @Waltervking3

Barbara, how are you changing the font size?  I’m on WordPress and it doesn’t allow a font size change!  I’ve tried to use a couple different plugins, but without knowing CSS and HTML, I haven’t figured it out yet.

BTW, I just posted on my blog; would you mind looking at it and giving me some feedback?  I think it’s terrible, but I just want to start putting things out and getting better as I go.

Here’s the link: thepitbulldad.com/why

Thank you!

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

I just checked out your blog! What a tremendous improvement compared to a few days ago ~ nice job!! I signed up for your newsletter and left a comment, too 🙂 I like the fact that you included pics of your pups and of yourself. The video is also a very nice, personal touch.

Regarding the font-size on WordPress: it is a HUGE BUMMER that it can’t be changed unless adding some code. Even with our purchased “Visual Composer” we still have to use html to edit it. However, you can actually create templates for your post, where you only have to insert html once, and can then just use the pre made template for your posts.

Here’s the html code for the font-size and color:

<span style=”font-size: 14pt; color: #000000;”>YOUR TEXT GOES HERE!</span>

In this example, we set the font-size to 14, and went with a black font (#000000 means “black”, essentially).

Hope this helps a little!

Walter King
      @Waltervking3

Thanks Barbara!  I think the theme change was what it needed.  I’m tired of fiddling and just want to create!

Barbara Rivers said:

I just checked out your blog! What a tremendous improvement compared to a few days ago ~ nice job!! I signed up for your newsletter and left a comment, too 🙂 I like the fact that you included pics of your pups and of yourself. The video is also a very nice, personal touch.

Regarding the font-size on WordPress: it is a HUGE BUMMER that it can’t be changed unless adding some code. Even with our purchased “Visual Composer” we still have to use html to edit it. However, you can actually create templates for your post, where you only have to insert html once, and can then just use the pre made template for your posts.

In this example, we set the font-size to 14, and went with a black font (#000000 means “black”, essentially).

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Sounds good! Happy creating 🙂

Walter King said:

Thanks Barbara!  I think the theme change was what it needed.  I’m tired of fiddling and just want to create!

Barbara Rivers said:

Lori Waters
      @Lori4

Love that podcast! Tons of useful information, another great podcast I’ve been listening to is The Sales Lion by Marcus Sheridan. Also great info on blogging

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Thank you for sharing!!

Lori Waters said:

Love that podcast! Tons of useful information, another great podcast I’ve been listening to is The Sales Lion by Marcus Sheridan. Also great info on blogging

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.