Home Forums Blog Talk What is the story behind your blog’s name?

21 replies, 16 voices Last updated by Allen 12 years, 4 months ago
Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author

Doodling Dogs
      @doodlingdogs

I thought this would be a fun discussion.  What is the story behind your blog’s name?  I just wrote a post on my blog and you can read the story behind Doodling Dogs here.

Pamela (Something Wagging)
      Participant
      @somethingwagging

I loved your post. My heart was in my throat so ending up with the dogs “doodling around” at the neighbors was fabulous.

When I started blogging, I was trying to find a name that would be witty and possibly incorporate a pun. After trying out lots of options, I thought of Something Wagging This Way Comes inspired by the Ray Bradbury novel, Something Wicked This Way Comes.

I skipped a couple years of English classes in high school so I had no idea the quote originally came from MacBeth, a play I never read.

The one problem is that SWTWC is a popular acronym so it was hard to find a twitter handle or shortened name.

I’ve never written about how I chose the name. Lots of people tell me it’s cute but I don’t know how many folks get the literary reference. 

Kristine Tonks
      @rescuedinsanity

I wish I could say I have a great story behind the name of my blog but I really don’t. For the first five months, when no one read my blog anyway, I had called it “My Crazy Dog”. Which was accurate but not very creative. I kind of took inspiration from a blog titled “Shaping Chaos.” Since I couldn’t steal the name directly, I spent a long time thinking of different words that would fit together. 

Every night for a whole week when I walked my dog, I would think of different ideas in my head. Eventually I came up with “Rescued Insanity.” It just seemed to work. I asked my husband his opinion and I finally had a title! 

No great inspirational moment for me, I am afraid. Maybe I should make one up. I am very glad your dogs were just doodling!

Dawn
      Participant
      @petproductreview

Great post!  It’s neat to find out where blog names came from. Some people are so creative and I always wish I had thought of something like their name.  For afFURmation, I was trying to find a  name where I could do some sort of play on words.  That’s the one that stuck.  I’m not sure I’m in love with it, but I like that it’s one word so hopefully easy to remember.

Grace Foley (ForPetsSake)
      @forpetssake2

Great topic!  

My oldest girl, Arwen, is our matriarch.  She’s taught my youngest, Nyxie, all the good and not so good behaviors that can be gotten away with at our house.  We treat our own family as a pack – respect the leaders, everyone works together for the common good, rejoicing in togetherness and doing each day to its fullest.  That sums up my blog’s story – thanks for the opportunity to share.

Debra Jones
      @deejaystar

I have two.  The first one was my Dog-a-dayartblog.blogspot.com

I am a painter and there was a real trend to do a painting a day.  Only I didn’t like strawberries and knives and kitchen utensils that most of the daily painters did.  I always liked things with eyeballs!  

I set myself a goal to spend at least a year painting in my local off-leash park.  The bulk of the blog is the minis (5×7″) that I would do in my “Cesar Milan” marketing style:  I would paint -no talking, no touching, no eye contact – and wait.  It was not allowed to sell things in the park, and honestly I did not!  I just painted at the entrance. 

I found it took two to three days. 

The regulars would swoop past (who is that odd woman) and do their business.  Often the dogs would try to say hi… Second day the dogs might win and I would scratch an ear on the fly…. by the third day, the owners curiosity would get them…. “what are you doing?”  “I paint pet portraits” and I would hand them the portfolio of my finished pieces! 

I did it a full year and a few.  Some were commissions, a few filled in from previous years, but I did post daily.  Then my mom got cancer and it got my rhythm off.  She had surgery and did well…. but when my cat got sick, I sort of lost interest in dogs….

This is where mycatthedude.blogspot.com showed up.  It is going to document the process of raising money for and actually getting the Radiocat Radioactive Iodine treatment for hyperthyroid cats.  

I have a funding site and have financed the procedure!  I am in the final phase of paying my vet for the tests and follow up on the thing.    I took him in today for the x-rays and blood work.  Two weeks about until he finally is off meds twice a day and gets BOTH of us normal lives!  

(This cat really HATES all the attention.  He can go back to hibernating for days on end…) (…and I can go on trips!)

Thanks for the question….I needed a little distraction!

Dawn
      Participant
      @petproductreview

Beautiful painting Debra!  Something I wish I could make time to learn.  What are your plans for your blog after the treatment and everything settles back to normal?

Pup Fan
      @wantmorepuppies

Fun! I love reading everyone’s stories.  Mine’s fairly straightforward… everyone was asking when my husband and I were going to have kids, so I always just replied that I wanted more puppies.  Then a lot of my friends started baby blogging, and I thought it’d be fun to give blogging a try.  But it couldn’t be a baby blog, so “I Still Want More Puppies” was born!

Grace Foley (ForPetsSake)
      @forpetssake2

well done, Pup Fan, well done!

Jodi
      Participant
      @stone.jodi

I have no creativity.  I named my blog after myself but added the tag line “Life with Sampson and Delilah, the 411”. 

That was a great story about how you found your blog name, I am so glad you found your pups too!  S & D have two collars (what is called a ‘show’ collar for inside/in the yard and a regular collar that a leash clips to for when needed.)  Both collars have tags with their name, my name and my cell phone number on it.

You can never be too careful.  🙂

Debra Jones
      @deejaystar

My blog will cover what happens when normal sits it! 

As an artist, I sort of was considering this a business expense!  Every trip I take away from home I will thank this procedure for!  In fact, I am going to visit my mother as she recovers from her 6th and for now final chemo, which I have not been able to do for her whole treatment.  While in Show Low AZ I will see what sort of art jobs or subjects I can find.  

It will be come more of “the Dude and me” with art shows and projects, not just him.

Thank yo so much for asking!

dj*

Dawn Miklich said:

Beautiful painting Debra!  Something I wish I could make time to learn.  What are your plans for your blog after the treatment and everything settles back to normal?

Kim Hardy
      @klh327

Being a shelter photographer volunteer, was looking for a way to showcase some of the beautiful photos of the adoptable pets.  Since I photograph all animals, cats, dogs, guinea pigs, rabbits, ferrets, mice, birds and even hairless rats; I needed a name that wasn’t breed or type specific.  “Stray No More” was born.  

Since I have been blogging the photos, I have noticed another organization in OK with the same name.  I would love to hear your feedback as if you think I should change mine?  I am halfway across the country in Virginia from them.  http://straynomore.wordpress.com/

thanks, great topic!  -Kim

Pup Fan
      @wantmorepuppies

Thanks! 🙂

Grace Foley (ForPetsSake) said:

well done, Pup Fan, well done!

Carol
      Participant
      @fidoseofreality

FIDO Friendly: Because for 11 years we Leave No Dog Behind and are the one magazine your dog would thank you for.

Fidose of Reality: Where dog lovers of the highest order unite.

7.6 Lbs of Awesome
      @7.6Lbs.of.Awesome

My blog’s title, 7.6 Lbs of Awesome, was inspired by our dog’s weight when we adopted him from the shelter–that, and the fact that he is awesome. 🙂 

Doodling Dogs
      @doodlingdogs

I absolutely love your name!

7.6 Lbs of Awesome said:

My blog’s title, 7.6 Lbs of Awesome, was inspired by our dog’s weight when we adopted him from the shelter–that, and the fact that he is awesome. 🙂 

7.6 Lbs of Awesome
      @7.6Lbs.of.Awesome

Thanks so much!!! We love yours, too!  🙂

Doodling Dogs said:

I absolutely love your name!

7.6 Lbs of Awesome said:

Brit Springer
      @info129

Hello my name is Brit,

The story behind our blog was that my little dog got into some trouble with a red ink pen and creme carpet.  My husband was suppose to be watching him but there was a phone call and he was distracted for a bit.  By the time he got off Jaxson had already chewed the pen.  I told my husband to go get the camera as one day we will laugh at this moment but not now.  A few weeks later I came up with the idea to write from Jaxson’s point of view over the incident after seeing the photos-  From that day forward we started to write about their misfit adventures (I have two dogs).  

Showed to a few people and Proof! blog happened.  I wanted was a “A Dogs Life”, but felt that these stories/posts are more diary entries so we changed it to A Dog’s Journal.  Recently we decided to expand on this (Overhauled the site) and allow other types of post but keeping the “Dog’s Point of View”, so now we are starting to write reviews on their toys (currently not paid for, just the favorites that we know of) and Health, local shelter & gathering Event information.  

Been a lot of fun and here is the post (& Pic) of the start of it all: http://adogsjournal.com/caught-red-pawed/

Kevin Newman
      @kev.pont

Mine wasn’t very creative.. My puppy’s name is Luna.. she is a dog (I think… sometimes I think she’s human) and it’s her life.. so Luna, A dog’s life.. 🙂

http://lunadogslife.blogspot.com

Doggy Dessert Chef
      @contact19

I just picked something that made sense with what I was doing and it was available, not too many doggy dessert chefs around I suppose.  I do love every ones stories, so creative!

The story behind my blog’s name is that — well — I am a woman and my dog is my best friend.  Hence Woman’s Best Friend

Not incredibly creative but incredibly accurate 🙂

Allen
      Participant
      @allen

Dullesdog.blogspot.com is fairly new but it was developed after many humorous writings I posted about my dog and our walks/activities etc. together on Facebook.  After learning several people loved the posts and to allow more room for writing, and add pics, I created the blog.  

The blog is written from my dog’s perspective- I turn the computer on and log him in, he does the writing (awful rough on the keyboard though).  Noah writes about his life with humans, will gives tips on dog/cat care, focus on shelters, etc. throughout the life of the blog. 

The blog is intended to be written from a humorous, dry humor and sometimes sarcastic attitude.  Check it out when you get a chance. 

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.