Home Forums Be The Change What would you do with an abandoned kitten?

5 replies, 5 voices Last updated by Jae Kennedy 9 years, 9 months ago
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Robbi Hess
      @robbi

We love this post! They found an abandoned kitten and took her into their lives! Have you ever done the same thing? We know we have!

http://blogpaws.com/executive-blog/pet-parenting-health-lifestyle/cats/adopt-cat-month-abandoned-kitten/

Sharon Seltzer
      @sjseltzer

Hi Robbi,

I loved the advice given in this story. 

I have 3 (once abandoned) kittens at my house.  A friend was feeding them for about a month when he called for help.  My husband and I set out traps and smelly tuna and before we knew it there were 3 tiny kittens inside the traps.

When I had to use gardening gloves to remove them from their carriers for their first set of vaccinations because they were biters, I was told by my rescue group they were never going to be adoptable. After they were neutered (all boys) it was suggested I release them back to the neighborhood where they were found.

I couldn’t let these tiny animals be alone in the world so I kept them and started INTENSE socialization.  Fast forward, Spike, Sport and Tiger are now 6 years old and have become the most affectionate cats I have ever known. 

Lauren Kramer
      Participant
      @laurenakramer

Yes!  Last August, my husband and I discovered a 2 week old kitten sitting in the middle of main street while on a walk with Cole!  She was covered in fleas and we had no idea what to do with her.  We are more dog people and I was always raised to have a healthy fear of cats. Our vet was unsure that she would survive since she had been away from her mother and was not yet weened.

It wasn’t long before I had named her “Miracle” because I thought it was a miracle that she had not been run over by a car and that she survived our learning-as-we-go cat parenting.

As fate would have it, I sent my husband to the store to get mac and cheese and he came back with a toy for baby Miracle.  It was then that I knew she was here to stay (and we wouldn’t have it any other way)!  All of our dogs just adore her.  We cannot wait to celebrate her birthday this August.  She will officially turn one year old!

Jenny Lewis
      Participant
      @pixelblueeyes.blog

The cats in our lives have all been abandoned/abused/neglected kittens that happened to “show up at our doorstep. Even ones we had when I was a child were all homeless before we adopted them. One particularly funny story is that when my sister was around 10 years old, she wanted a kitten really badly. She prayed and prayed for a kitten. Finally, months after she started asking, for her birthday, my parents let her get one. Well, within about a week of getting the new kitten, we found 4 abandoned kittens in our attic (cat got in through garage rafters), then when we took them to the vet to get checked out, they had a Momma cat with 3 kittens that they said would be perfect to nurse the VERY young kittens we’d found. Soooooo, thanks to my sister praying, LOL, we ended up with 9 cats in a week!! 

Of course, we found most all of the kittens homes and the Momma cat too after all were weened, but it was a BIG family joke to make sure and have my sister pray for whatever we wanted/needed. 🙂

Jenny

Robbi Hess
      @robbi

I have a bad habit of feeding the stray cats that seem to appear every spring… that’s why we have had as many as six cats at one time! Right now we have four — all indoor — that were adopted from shelters. Who could not take care of a tiny kitty!? 🙂 

Jae Kennedy
      @jae

We have 5 cats now… All of which we found abandoned. The oldest two we found 18 years ago as baby kittens. Now they are the most loving, happy and healthy babies in the world!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.